Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #121  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Cool short update

DH landed in Bahamas and already had a long walk and found a grocery store to get real food for himself. He already found the biggest whitest loaf of bread on the Bahamian island chain I think, a loaf of "Big White Bahama Bread". He showed it to me on Skype. He was so happy to have it.

(Skype's awesome btw.)

He's had no contact with the potential boss yet but is completely non-plussed. DH is one cool cucumber. Thank goodness.

I had an encounter with my GIANT bowl this evening, choosing to fill it with the whole pound bag (one bag=one serving I am one of those too) of meat ravioli (4 servings worth according to the package) with about 3 tbsp of melted margarine and 2 oz low fat monterey jack cheese. I had one credit HUGE bowl for dinner.
Volume volume volume my greatest foe.
I waited way too long to eat, was already shaky from low blood sugar and anxiety for not hearing from DH yet, even though we didn't plan to connect up for a few more hours. I, coaches, succumbed to eating for stress. Yikes. No sugar creditand no seconds credittoday. But I was sedentary (is okay I needed the rest).
I have veggies thawing for soup or stew tomorrow credit. O well another rough day but it was to be expected. Hopefully I will start to emotionally even out soon.

Given what's going on I am in a self-forgiving mode but I can't keep giving in for much longer.

Goodnight coaches.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-10-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had an encounter with a fresh loaf of raisin walnut bread. Ouch. Raisin bread was a childhood favorite, something that I remember any time I see the stuff. Usually I can ignore it, but this time it called my name too loudly. Oh Well. Otherwise, I ate on-plan; CREDIT moi. Dinner was a new recipe for lentil soup with a long list of ingredients, including several we didn't have, LOL. I loved it, but I love the several other ways the DW prepares lentils, so that's not a surprise.

Warmed up to 30 degrees F for a very pleasant long walk in the sunshine; CREDIT moi. Cold is easier to tolerate when the sun is hitting my face. Thanks for all the encouragement about my meal moths. We continue the battle. Pantries have a zillion little corners where a partial bag of something wonderful is stashed away and forgotten.

onebyone - Yay for "up at 3:55am" - that's my kind of morning. Be careful, you could grow to love it, LOL. Congrats for surviving a tough day even with the "GIANT" bowl of ravioli.

ChinaMaine - Sending supportive thoughts for the fatigue, and Kudos for recognizing that the ‘I don’t care’ wasn't a natural thought for you, but to be wrestled down. Yep, Kudos for bounding the damage on a tough day.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Gargantuan Kudos for leaving feta cheese - I've NEVER left a morsel of feta cheese anywhere I could get my hands on it; gotta be one of my favorite cheeses. Drooling over your "white bean and cabbage stew with cumin seeds."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a winter walk in the balmy mid-20s. And Double Yay for warm winter clothes that make that possible.

Shepherdess - Yay for having enough energy to burst forward in the last hundred yards. Your "second Christmas dinner" sounds like a gas. I googled cashew loaf and found a dozen recipes - apparently I'm the only person on the planet who didn't know about it. I have an unopened bag of cashews that might just find there way into one now.

Ruth (Ruthxxx) - Yep, "I just need to get a grip on quantity" - don't we all. When you master that, clue us all in.

Penguin (patchworkpenguin) - LOL at losing your ARC in your purse. BTDT with my briefcase. I've had to empty the thing out to find some item that was lost simply because I hadn't put it in its usual place.

katiekonie - Kudos for buying your diet journal and getting started right away. Recording stuff is one powerful ally. And Kudos for working that resistant muscle on the potato chips and cookies. Neat that your sister is supportive. That checking out half the diet books to choose the one you wanted is something I'd do.

Readers -
Quote:
Week 3
Go: Start Your Diet

These are all life changes that will become part of your new mindset as you continue to practice your skills every day. Are you surprised by how much you've learned? If you're starting your diet this week (or if you started it a while ago), don't you feel better prepared? For example, you now know two crucially important things about hunger and craving. The first is that you can tolerate these uncomfortable sensations no matter what, and that if you don't give in to them they'll pass. The second is that you can make them pass more easily by using your anti-craving techniques. Now, you'll know what to do for the rest of your life.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 140.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #123  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning. Rather than leap right into my day, I am going to take a half hour each morning to review my food plan and think about my mental attitude. I want to be an island of calm in a sea of chaos but am not going to get there by charging around first thing. Gym will be later this morning - when it's daylight!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Sunday

WI-no weigh-in. Read my cards, made a plan. Food – off-plan (by 2 Hershey’s kisses); Exercise – off-plan (20 minutes stacking wood). Fatigue levels still high – I went to bed after helping DH with the wood for 20 minutes. I had been thinking this was stress-related, and that is probably still a factor. But my guess now is that something else is amiss. Either or my thyroid levels are off, or I’m deficient in iron, B-12 or D. (For those of you who’ve joined the group in the last 4 months or so, I have 3 auto-immune disorders celiac disease, Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism and pernicious anemia. I’ve had bouts of extreme fatigue, on and off, for most of my adult life.) After I post this I’ll call my doctor and get the requisite prescription to do blood tests to find out what is going on.
On a more positive note, DH made his Lobster Stew (low fat) for dinner last night. MIL loves it, and so do I! It was the highlight of my day. I found I was satisfied after eating about 3/4 of a serving and took the rest back to the kitchen - extra credit!
The Good
- Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – yep!
- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate – credit!
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – yippee!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite – kudos!
- I posted here – yep!
- I read Day 2 in the pink book – credit!
- Used resistance techniques – partial credit (see Hershey’s kisses below)

The Bad,
- Daily weigh-in – nope.
- Spontaneous exercise – nope

and The Ugly
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – I had 2 Hershey’s kisses last night when the sweet-monster visited after dinner.

I’m so exhausted today, I’m going to have to work from bed. I’m not sure I’ll be able to work a full 8 hours, but my best shot at it is to do it from bed. I HATE this, but I’m going to just take a deep breath and put one foot in front of the other.

shepherdess Your second Christmas sounds lovely! I’m impressed by the series of races you are going to do over the next few months.

one by one I find I need a bit extra food when I do an early trip to the airport. But ouch for your encounter with your GIANT bowl. Since MIL is here, we use skype quite a bit, and love it. She gets to see people who can’t make it to Maine for a visit. So far it’s mostly been my son and one of her neices, but her 2 sisters just got web cams and we’re hoping they video call each other all the time now. Sending positive vibes to you (on getting back into the groove) and DH (on the job front).

CeeJay What a great day you had yesterday Can’t wait to hear your success stories for the rest of the week. I live in the country too – at the end of a 1 Ύ long dirt road. So I only see fast food every week or so, can ignore it most of the time, and I’m glad of it. Thanks for the positive thoughts on fatigue and the scale. I’ve decided not to weigh myself until I wake up feeling a bit better. I am focused on consistently applying my Beck-skills right now. I think I’m unlikely to lose much weight until I’m strong enough to exercise every day again, so the weigh-in isn’t critical.

katiekonie Sounds like you made reasonable choices yesterday. Have fun reading the book and getting a lot of use out of your diet journal.

gardenerjoy I too love a mid-day walk on a sunny winter’s day. I’m so glad it warmed up enough to have one.

Nuxmaga Your stew has my mouth watering! Congrats on a great week!

Penguin (patchworkpenguin) Ouch for the snacks – but the rest of your day sounds like it went great!

Bill Yum – lentil soup! And well, yum for fresh raison walnut bread too, no wonder you listened when it called!

Ruthxxx Kudos for deciding to making time for yourself, and dieting, in the morning.

Last edited by ChinaMaine; 01-11-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #125  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Bill, BTDT Hubby calls my purse 'physics defying' or 'Time-Lord Magic", bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. LOL.

ChinaMaine, I hope you get your tests run soon. Lobster Stew sounds really good. Hubby is allergic to seafood however.

OnebyOne, LOL on the huge loaf of white bread .Hubby and I had ravioli last night also!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Credit for a burly weight workout yesterday—I’m actually starting to enjoy them. I stayed on plan while having dinner at the in-laws last night—so credit for that. My very slim SIL told me I’m looking really good, which made my night. It was a well-timed compliment, since dh chewed me out yesterday for referring to myself as a fat***. He’s always hated it when I refer to myself like that, and he said that especially now, I’d better find a new name for myself because I’m getting too skinny to call myself that. So I guess positive self-talk is something I’m going to have to work on. It’s a good reminder that for me, a positive self-image is not tied to weight; it’s all in my head. I’ve always thought happiness was just a few lbs away, but I’d better find it here now.

Onebyone, feasting heartily without over doing it sounds great. I always find it difficult to walk that fine line between discipline and overly rigid rules that are impossible to stick to, but it sounds like you did the right thing. Sorry about the stress eating. Here’s to success on your dh’s trip!

CeeJay, yay for a Beck day with no trouble! Your plan sounds fantastic. If you keep a menu like that, seven days will be food bliss. I haven’t had swiss chard since I was a kid and my parents grew it in our garden, but my dh asked me about it recently so if I can find it at the grocery store it’s on our menu.

KatieKonie, it’s great that your mom cooks healthy. It makes things so much easier. The mini marshmallows are a bummer, but on the bright side, you passed up the chips and cookies. So don’t be too hard on yourself.

Gardenerjoy, kudos for getting outside for a walk and for finding enjoyment in it. Exercising outdoors in the winter certainly has a lot of challenges, but it certainly offers a lot of beauty as well.

Nuxmaga, great job on a good week! Your strategy while eating out is impressive and the white bean and cabbage soup sounds fantastic. Hope things warm up soon so you feel like moving again!

Patchworkpenquin, good job on getting exercise even when you don’t feel like it. Yay for more veggies and for reasonable portions. Huge kudos for staying committed while the weigh-ins are frustrating.

BillBE, yay for warming weather and a winter walk with sun on your face. I know all too well about food that calls my name. You’re dw’s lentil soup reminds me that I should get out my mother’s recipe and make it. I love lentil soup, but just never think about making it.

Ruthxxx, sounds like a great strategy to take some time first thing in the morning to get your attitude right for the day. I love the idea of a “island of calm in a sea of chaos.” I’ll have to put that on a post-it note on my fridge.

ChinaMaine, kudos for being satisfied with 3/4 serving of a soup that you love. I would put 2 hershey’s kisses in the “the good” category instead of “the ugly.” I would never stop at just 2. Ouch for the fatigue. Good luck on getting it figured out and fixed quickly. But I am impressed that you’re sticking to your good eating habits while feeling so crummy.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #127  
in development

Hello, friends!

I'm reading the pink Beck book & haven't quite got into the groove yet. I'm on Day 3 - eat sitting down.

JB wants me to commit in writing by filling in the gaps:

When I feel like eating standing up, I'm going to ...
I'm going to remind myself to eat sitting down by ...

What kind of things would you have here? For the first, I might put 'move away'. Not sure yet.

Thanks, friends. I've lurked for a while and admired your positive camaraderie from afar.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

MUST get out of basement. MUST get workers (lovely though they may be) out of my house! My kids are gone today and tomorrow but I am stuck in the basement. I can't get out to get my exercise clothes without killing a poor man on a ladder. The TV is not working (again, I could sooner launch a shuttle than turn on the TV) and I am STUCK! Luckily, there is no food in the basement. Just disgruntled pets. Really no point in this post other than to say hi and sounds like people are doing great! Did I mention I haven't left my house in about a week and a half?????

Last edited by KidsLibrarylady; 01-11-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #129  
persist

Post Dr. Beck's newest newsletter online

http://www.beckdietsolution.com/news...er_Issue_3.pdf

Coaches
I found the Jan 2010 Beck Institute's newest newsletter in my email. Thought I'd share the link with all of you. I found it to be a pretty good read.

I'll check in more fully later.

Hey I just found the 2nd newsletter here http://www.beckdietsolution.com/news...er_Issue_2.pdf
and it looks like the first newsletter is embedded in the Beck blog http://www.beckdietsolution.com/libr...-D25782663335}

Last edited by onebyone; 01-11-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #130  

OnebyOne, thanks for the links! It never occured to me that their might BE a Beck site!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone

katiekonie- big credit for passing on chips and cookies. Excellent. Now that you have the journal, you can write that down as a success.

gardenerjoy-mid 20's sounds great. So nice to get outside when it is that warm in the winter. (For me that is warm) I would gladly invite all of you for dinner...care for a little jaunt to Canada?

Nuxmaga- credit for exercise, for the food tracking and being under your calorie goal. Credit for eating sensibly at the restaurant.

patchworkpenguin-credit for eating on plan and exercising.

onebyone-good for you for analyzing your encounter with the ravioli. Sounds like you carefully took a look at what was happening-- I guess that is how we slowly learn to eat different.

BillBlueEyes- Oh well to the raisin bread, who could resist? As long as you didn't eat the whole loaf. Otherwise a good day for you. Sounds like a very nice walk in the sun.

Ruthxxx- great idea about spending the first half hour of the day reviewing your plan. Sounds like a great way to start the day fresh and in control.

ChinaMaine-I am glad you are calling your doctor. You have been feeling bad for a long time. I hope you get an answer.

Shepherdess-really like what you wrote about positive self-talk. You are so right about finding happiness here now, cause you just never know. I do not want to spend my last day beating myself up. Took me 46 years to figure out how to stop doing that.

silverbirch- welcome to you all the way over in Wales. I found the Beck book so helpful. Good luck on your journey. RE your question- how about----When I feel like eating standing up, I'm going to stop myself and find a seat. I'm going to remind myself to eat sitting down by ??? not sure here- it is hard to remember if this is one of your habits. Maybe by making sure that all food you eat is on a plate or in a bowl that is sitting on a table??? Let us know what you come up with.

KidsLibrarylady-Hello to you in the basement. Wondering why you have not left the house. Hope you are OK. Sending you good karma.

For me-- Being super strict is helping. Day Two of my personal challenge to eat on plan for 7 days is almost over. And I am on track. I really need to prove to myself that I am not fooling around, that I can eat on track for more than 3 days in a row without drifting.

Credit for:

weighing in
riding bike 30 minutes
reading advantage and response cards twice
doing weights
resisting chocolate at work
eating on plan
checking in with my coaches
planning tomorrow and packing lunch

Take care
Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #132  

Another exercise DVD bargin watch! I went to Lifeway Christian Books and found Fitstix Cardio & Core Blast, Step Pump and Pure Pump. They had some Taebo's and Leslie's Walk the Walk. I previewd Fitstix Blast and it looks good; more hi-lo but very do-able and Karen Joy has arm movements with each step. The workout is 45 min. http://www.thefitstix.com/ProductCod...D-Special.html Mine has a different cover. Pure Pump looks good also but I only previewed workout 1.

Credit ~
-.2 lbs! Ta-Da!
read ARC twice ~ posting it on the fridge helped
ate on plan
mostly mindfully
exercised ~ 30 min cardio
wore ped 6000 steps for yesterday
had a nice day with Hubby

Not so Much ~
split Snickers bar with Hubby, but skipped my afternoon snack.

I feel much better today physically and emotionially. I know I can follow Beck's plan and I know it works. This is what I want! I want to have a 'take it or leave' it relationship with food. I don't want to be home all day, steps from the fridge, and be 'afraid' that I'm going to eat something. Or eat one meal and immediatly start to wonder what and when I'm going to eat the next. I want to be the one in control, not the food! <gets off soapbox>

We had a very warm day today! Highs in the 40's. We don't usually consider 40* to be nice but after last week its practically a heat wave! I didn't even wear a coat for most of today.

Onebyone. I checked out Beck's site.

Silverbirch, Welcome to the group! I'm pretty new at this myself, but we like to eat in front of the TV. Because of finances we gave up some things and get Netflix DVD's as entertainment, so our habit was Hubby gets home from work and we eat while watching a movie. Not good. I cleaned 'the stuff' off the table to encourage us to eat there. I thought Hubby would protest, but he's being supportive. I pulled out some nice placemats to make the table more inviting. Maybe something like that will help you???

LibraryLady, I feel your pain! This past summer my dad and Hubby renovated the bath; replacing a floor joist due to structural problems. We have a 1000sq Ft 50's started home, and the only bath is centrally located. Ugh. Tile, grout, hammering, sawing, for a few weeks. And for a few days, NO toilet! {the house next door was vacant and the owner's let us use theirs, sigh} I can't drive, we don't live in that great of a neighborhood that I feel very comfortable taking April for a walk, so I was stuck, inside, with them working just feel away. Did I mention it picked that week to rain constantly so I coudn't even go outside?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #133  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't overeat after a trip to a doctor. Post-doctor binges are a long tradition for me. But I only thought of it for a moment while getting off the elevator, and just said "NO CHOICE" and went on my way. Credit!

I'm off plan by one slice of bread today. I think it was that supper was going to be later than I wanted and I was more tired than I wanted, and not fully acknowleding either situation as reality, so I ate. Of course, giving in made it harder to resist nibbling during supper prep (and we were fixing my favorite nibbling dish), but I did resist, so credit for that.

WI: -0.2kg, Exercise: +52, 525/1400 minutes for January, Food: off, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Hi, everyone!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 01-11-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #134  
persist

Thumbs up Another update

Hi Coaches

I'll make this point form as I need to get to bed. I've been yakking my face off all night.
credits
- I didn't eat; used my mouth to talk all night and get rid of stress that way.
- I made myself soup from turkey stock I had made previously. Portions were on the large size but my supper was smaller than my lunch so I am pleased with that
-DID NOT eat to stuffed today an extra for that
-no seconds, no sugar, no sedantariness today
-I was stressed out and didn't eat over it-though I also didn't get any work done either still could not focus
-ate sitting down, slowed down and ate mindfully and fully focused
-weighed once: -0.6lb from yesterday = 273.2lb today.

So DH called and he met with the boss ("B") for 90 minutes or 2 hours not sure which. In the meeting they talked about many things but he came away with nothing concrete except an agreement to meet again tomorrow. Still no precise job offer except a promise that he does, indeed, have a job with the organization. Very frustratiing as he still has to keep it together and he was hoping to "blow him away" during their meeting and he felt sad and irritated that he didn't.
So he says.
He doesn't know B. He may have done that. B has a lot on his mind considering it's a major tournament with his company's name going on there; kind of distracting if you ask me. I think this was more of a "I need to meet you see what you are all about" type of thing.
The irony is he still can't relax! being in the Bahamas and under stress? Yuck...but really, on the scale of "things to endure" island breezes, 13 swimming pools and the ocean, free room and plane fare, new job in fast growing company within a new wide open newly developing field, well this is not too shabby! I just hope DH gets some sleep and on that note I need to take my own advice.

Have a good night coaches.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-12-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #135  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was a day at the office with few interruptions and great productivity; CREDIT moi. That always feels good and makes my trip to the gym after work (CREDIT moi) all the more sweet. As I ate my orange for evening snack, I thought of the Florida growers facing the possible loss of their crop due to this freezing weather. Keeping my fingers crossed; I do love my oranges.

And yesterday I upticked my months-in-maintenance counter; CREDIT moi for keeps-going.

onebyone - Yay for handling a stressful day without using food as the crutch. Will continue to keep my fingers crossed for your DH's adventure. Yep, it's kinda sad to think of being in the Bahamas under stress.

ChinaMaine - Now I'm drooling for leftover Lobster Stew in your fridge, LOL. Kudos for stopping at 3/4 serving. Sending supportive thoughts for your trip to the doctor.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for deploying your "NO CHOICE" after your doctor's visit - neat to face old habits. And Kudos for resisting nibbling on your favorite nibbling dish. Take that old habits.

KidsLibraryLady - Calling 911 to rescue lady stuck in the basement. Maybe you could study Chinese - come out of this with a remodeled house and speaking Mandarin, LOL.

Shepherdess - Yay for a neat compliment from your SIL. And Kudos to your DH for reminding you to move away from the negative talk - it does take an effort to note that we're doing it. You gotta get into making lentil soup; it'll convert the carnivores that surround you.

Ruth (Ruthxxx) - Love the oxymoron of running around to become an island of calm. Nice to think of sharing with you this lovely dark before the dawn.

CeeJay - Kudos for "resisting chocolate at work" - another reminder that we gotta get that law passed that forbids bringing recreational food to work.

Penguin (patchworkpenguin) - Yay for a "Time-Lord Magic" purse - Harry Potter would be proud. Sign me up for that " 'take it or leave' it relationship with food" - including the skip a meal because I forgot about it on occasion.

silverbirch - Just keep marching forward; you'll find your grove. Did you notice that ChinaMaine is also on day 3: Eat Sitting Down? Yep, those particular two "commit in writing" examples are a bit loaded. I like the idea by Penguin (patchworkpenguin) to clear the kitchen table to make eating there more attractive.

Our local newspapers suggest the Britain is sharing this cold snap that's hitting North America. Have you been hit with snow in Wales?

Readers -
Quote:
day 15
Monitor Your Eating

Even if you're already following a diet, don't skip today's task. It's essential! If you're starting your diet today, let me start by congratulating you. Today marks an important change in your life. Give yourself credit for getting this far.

The first thing you're going to do is weigh yourself. If you wear clothes when you weigh yourself, wear about the same weight clothing each morning that you get on the scale. Mark down your weight in your diet notebook. Next do the following:

Follow your food plan. Eat only what's on the plan you wrote for yourself last night. Eat everything on the plan, unless you become overly full before you've finished, and don't skip a meal.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 141.
Closed Thread