Old 01-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/191/162

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Default Atkins questions

I started my Atkins induction phase 1 exactly a week ago..on thursday last week I decided to treat myself a 0 sugar, lemonade flavoured sweetened (with sucralose) gassy water to toast in the new year, it was a 33cl bottle. And then just when I was almost done, I looked down and realized that I had mistakenly taken the regular one and that this one wasnt 0 calorie or 0 sugar!!!!

Omg the dread!!! Of course, I just continued on and have decided to swear off all these drinks except Perrier until I'm out of induction but did that kick me out of ketosis completely and ruin my entire efforts?? do I have to start counting all over again?

Also do spices count in terms of carbs? I love to use curry, dried thyme and parsely on everything but then I saw they have hidden carbs!!

Is it normal for your pee (sorry TMI!!) to smell a little weird during induction?

Is it a bad thing if I do induction without the fiber or vitamin supplements?...at the moment I'm not where they're easily available.
rinnydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 AM   #2  
MeTime

S/C/G: 421/287/220

Height: 5'10

I don't worry about being in ketosis I just stay 100% on plan. I'm down 33lbs in two months so focus does equal results.

Yes it's normal for your pee to smell as well as your overall body odor and bad breath. All signs you are doing the right thing and your body is burning fat.

I only take a multivitamin without iron and I'm living in china where I thought they would be impossible to find (they weren't) but they did cost a pretty penny. Also, I get the only fiber right now through my vegetables everyday.

Hope that helped.
shan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinnydee View Post
I started my Atkins induction phase 1 exactly a week ago..on thursday last week I decided to treat myself a 0 sugar, lemonade flavoured sweetened (with sucralose) gassy water to toast in the new year, it was a 33cl bottle. And then just when I was almost done, I looked down and realized that I had mistakenly taken the regular one and that this one wasnt 0 calorie or 0 sugar!!!!

Omg the dread!!! Of course, I just continued on and have decided to swear off all these drinks except Perrier until I'm out of induction but did that kick me out of ketosis completely and ruin my entire efforts?? do I have to start counting all over again?

Also do spices count in terms of carbs? I love to use curry, dried thyme and parsely on everything but then I saw they have hidden carbs!!

Is it normal for your pee (sorry TMI!!) to smell a little weird during induction?

Is it a bad thing if I do induction without the fiber or vitamin supplements?...at the moment I'm not where they're easily available.
Always be very leery of those "0 carb, 0 sugar" drinks.....even the ones sweetened with Sucralose. You must read ingredients. When ever you see "natural flavors" be very cautious because they are anything but natural.
http://www.naturalnews.com/036308_na...aspartame.html
It is very possible you were kicked out of ketosis and will take 2-3 days to get back in but, drink plenty of water and get right back on track.

As for carbs in spices, yes, spices do contain carbs and should be counted. This will help.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/spice_chart.html

If your urine smells odd, it is actually a good thing! It means you are in ketosis!! You may notice smelly breath as well.

Personally, I take a multivitamin that does not contain iron everyday. I have never taken a fiber supplement. Eating plenty of veggies & salads and drinking plenty of water should keep you "regular".

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #4  

Aww thanks guys! So determined to drop this weight this time. I've gained 10 kg over the past year and I really miss my sexy!! 33lbs in 2 months is very exciting to hear. Did you manage to incorporate exercise in as well? I have a super busy day and im doing a post-graduate degree part time at the same time so if im not working, im studying and if im doing neither its cuz im half dead from exhaustion!!

Yes I checked the ingredients, and I know we aren't allowed any aspertame but alas, I think I will just stick with my perrier with a lemon twist when I need to get my soda fix..hehe

That means perhaps I've been averaging 22-25 grams a day instead of 20 and under. How do people get any spice or taste in their food then??

Also which carb counter do people use? I have the 2002 atkins book...and a 2012 carb counter I downloaded from the internet...but I've noticed the more recent versions count a bit differently and I'm a bit confused about which one to use.

Also what do you guys have to add some variety to ur foods. In general I dont actually like meat much (ill avoid eating it if I can) or dairy products or anything with a creamy consistency (so mayo, sour cream, dressings, butter, mustard-yuck!); so this week alone has been hard on me because I've had to force myself to eat all those things. But im trying to stick to Atkins because all other diets I've tried left me very hungry; snacking...and in fact I just kept gaining more weight.

I've literally been eating chicken and eggplant every afternoon and avocado salad every evening and I wouldn't mind some change.

I bought some pork sausages the other time and I noticed in the ingredients that there was dextrose in it- what's dextrose? Is it better to just avoid sausages altogether during induction?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

I've been doing Atkins for almost 11 years now and variety is important. Check out Linda's Low Carb recipes. They've been a Godsend for me! Anything marked with an * is Induction friendly.
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #6  

you are an angel
Old 01-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/224.4/150

Height: 5'7"

So glad to hear that anything with a * on Linda's website is ok for induction because I have made a couple of the induction desserts and have one portion each night. I shared this on a Facebook group and people there said you can't have sugar free desserts on induction. I thought that as long as I stay within my 20 net carbs that it doesn't matter that I have an induction friendly dessert. Can someone let me know if this is true? I just started on Jan. 2 2015
ShimmerGirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmerGirl101 View Post
So glad to hear that anything with a * on Linda's website is ok for induction because I have made a couple of the induction desserts and have one portion each night. I shared this on a Facebook group and people there said you can't have sugar free desserts on induction. I thought that as long as I stay within my 20 net carbs that it doesn't matter that I have an induction friendly dessert. Can someone let me know if this is true? I just started on Jan. 2 2015
Hi ShimmerGirl,

I am an admin on an Atkins group on Facebook, which may very well be the same group that provided that information. The group is very hard core and strictly follows Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 (DANDR) That said, it would all depend how strictly you want to follow Atkins. Many, myself included, are not fans of any artificial sweeteners including Stevia which would therefore make "Induction-friendly desserts" off limits. If you want to include these desserts in your daily 20 net carbs for the day, that would certainly be up to you. Just keep in mind, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day need to be coming from veggies on the Induction foods list. This only gives you 5 carbs for things like cheese, heavy cream etc. Artificial sweetener is also limited to 3 packets per day and needs to be counted as 1 carb per packet.

All that said, I can tell you, if you continue to feed sweet or sugar cravings with "low carb" substitutes, you will never completely rid yourself of the desire for them. When those cravings for dessert strike, you are best eating fat. Bacon, deviled eggs, half a small avocado, olives etc. will help you to conquer them rather than feed them.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/224.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Hi ShimmerGirl,

I am an admin on an Atkins group on Facebook, which may very well be the same group that provided that information. The group is very hard core and strictly follows Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 (DANDR) That said, it would all depend how strictly you want to follow Atkins. Many, myself included, are not fans of any artificial sweeteners including Stevia which would therefore make "Induction-friendly desserts" off limits. If you want to include these desserts in your daily 20 net carbs for the day, that would certainly be up to you. Just keep in mind, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day need to be coming from veggies on the Induction foods list. This only gives you 5 carbs for things like cheese, heavy cream etc. Artificial sweetener is also limited to 3 packets per day and needs to be counted as 1 carb per packet.

All that said, I can tell you, if you continue to feed sweet or sugar cravings with "low carb" substitutes, you will never completely rid yourself of the desire for them. When those cravings for dessert strike, you are best eating fat. Bacon, deviled eggs, half a small avocado, olives etc. will help you to conquer them rather than feed them.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your answer. I guess I will see if my weight stops coming off in which case I will heed your advice and drop the desserts at night. Hard habit to brake for sure!
ShimmerGirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #10  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

ll that said, I can tell you, if you continue to feed sweet or sugar cravings with "low carb" substitutes, you will never completely rid yourself of the desire for them. When those cravings for dessert strike, you are best eating fat. Bacon, deviled eggs, half a small avocado, olives etc. will help you to conquer them rather than feed them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks kim: I really struggle with this. I didn't know, (or wasn't listening) about eating fat. This is a great idea. My sweet tooth is often a downfall, and I just can't take a day off and eat even good carbs without going off plan completely.
SO having fat, (perhaps some cream cheese? ) is great. Knowing there is something out there I can do is good.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote