Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #271  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

16.6 carbs. 1338 calories for today and I'm floating from a lot of H20!

Switched from the raspb dressing to Kraft Ranch. 7 g carbs vs 1.5 carbs

Most of the carbs from veggies and strawberries.
Weigh in tomorrow
Old 04-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #272  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
What is everyone using to track to calculate net carbs? I'm using Atkins carb counter but it's limited. I love MFP but don't know what to set my goals at? I'm aiming for 20 net carbs daily. Using 1200 for calories.
Thanks!
Bigdog:
I use myfitnesspal to calculate my calories and net carbs, I just subtract the fiber from my carbs to see my net carbs, I'm 5'7 and I have my macros set at 5% carbs, 60% fat, 35% protein and it seems to be working for me. Sometimes I do go a little over the carbs but I always stay under 30-35 net carbs. On myfitnesspal if you go to nutrition it shows the pie chart but up in the top right corner also is the little pie chart and then shows like 4 lines, if you click on the lines it brings up the list of all your nutrient details. that's where I can subtract my fiber from my carbs and I love the pie chart because it shows me my macros %.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #273  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Thanks skelley and big dog... I am looking forward to "weighing-in" once a week and I can still eat lower carb... But even with really watching my carbs I still have to be pretty strict and keep my calories in check or I don't lose, so WW is good for that...but I'm still going to keep using MFP and of course I'm pretty addicted to my Fitbit as well... At this point after losing 50lbs and with 15lbs still left to lose, even if I kept carbs to 50g a day or under to stay in ketosis I still need a pretty big calorie deficit to keep losing.... It's not the ketosis anyway that is causing the weight loss it's the calorie deficit... the ketosis just helps with diet compliance...You can be in ketosis and still gain weight if you're eating too much... We'll see if this 15lbs refuse to budge, I'll seriously consider spending the money on IP... Those people lose weight fast... But that's because not only is it ketogenic (helps you to stick to the plan by reducing hunger) it's also very low calorie (850 to 1000 calories a day) so it creates a really big calorie deficit for rapid weight loss...
Tripswitch;
I'm down to 15 lbs to lose and it always seems like this is where things slow down, but as long as I'm losing even if it's 1/2 lb a week i'll take any loss. I have realized if I go over 1400 calories I seem to gain. Not sure where atkins says you should be eating 1500-1800 calories a day for women, maybe if I were younger but I'm 59 yrs young still active but don't need that many calories, if I ate that much I would never lose.
Look forward to your progress with WW
Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #274  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I was hesitant about joining because I can't take any type of diet pills and have a low tolerance to meds. My friend just told me they have her taking Phentramine - same stuff MRC was pushing. I def can't take that. They might have other plans they offer without the drugs? Anyway- Im trying to stay motivated and hope I can succeed on my own without weighing in anywhere . It's silly really and I should be able to do this with reading more re: the plan, tracking and checking in with you guys daily. This forum is incredibly helpful!
I agree Skelley- I'm happy with 1-2 lbs loss a week . I did notice my friend hasnt changed her eating habits much- she's just taking the pills - most of them have gained after quitting the program.
I want to get to goal weight and maintain

I still go once a week to weigh in because I've been on maintenance but tomorrow is my last day and I'm not going to re-sign. I do love the grape concentrate protein drinks, I put them in my diet 7 up and it's wonderful so I will still buy those. Even after I'm done with maintenance and don't resign I can go in and by products if I want. One of their products I do really like is the EFA essential fatty acid gel capsules for omega 3's& 6's. It does great for my skin and hair and I don't eat a lot of fish and they are cheap
Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #275  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
Tripswitch;
I'm down to 15 lbs to lose and it always seems like this is where things slow down, but as long as I'm losing even if it's 1/2 lb a week i'll take any loss. I have realized if I go over 1400 calories I seem to gain. Not sure where atkins says you should be eating 1500-1800 calories a day for women, maybe if I were younger but I'm 59 yrs young still active but don't need that many calories, if I ate that much I would never lose.
Look forward to your progress with WW
I met w a nutritionist a few years back and she reviewed my journal weekly. She said if I was 10 years younger I'd be losing weight w what I wrote down. I'll be 56 in May - sluggy metabolism! More exercise is what she recommended.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #276  

Bigdog...
Thanks for name of Cookbook. I ordered from library..

Seems you, Skelly and myself are in same age group...

Dee
Old 04-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #277  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Good Morning Everyone! Hope everyone is doing well!

Hey skelley and bigdog... Sounds like my metabolism is pretty similar too... All the various online calculators seem to tell me I need 2000 calories a day to maintain... But my experience so far is showing me it more like 1500 right now... And 1200 to 1400 is about as low as I can go and not be really hungry... So that means from here on out it might be really slow going... But I'm determined to get to my goal... Just might take a lot longer than I would like...lol...

I'm hoping that once I get down to goal and my body accepts it's new "set point" I will be able to maintain on more than 1500... But if that's not the case I know I can be satisfied with the really big salads and lots of veggies, along with the moderate amounts of really good quality protein and the right amount of healthy fats for me.... Which for me is looking like 4 to 6oz portions of protein per meal and a couple of tbsps a day of good fats... for me that's mostly really good quality EVOO... But also some occasional organic pastured, grass fed, butter and cream... And I know I can still eat that way on 1500 calories a day too...

Just have to accept that I need to really watch my portions as well as my carbs...

And if I'm gonna count carbs... Well, carbs are calories, right? So I might as well just count all my calories too...
Old 04-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #278  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Big Dog I use My Fitness Pal for tracking carbs.

I Set my goal for weight then I let the program set my plan automatically. That gave me an idea of daily calories. Then I set goals a second time manually. I left the calories at the level previously set by the program but I changed the carb, protein and fat percentages as follows:

5% carbs, 35% Protein and 60% Fat. This works really well for me. At this time I am not trying to track net carbs. I just track total carbs and try to keep them around 20 per day. Usually I find myself a little on the low side for carbs and have to force myself to bring them up to the Atkins suggested level for induction.

Before starting Akins I was a calorie counter I and used MFP for tracking. I have used it for many years and I feel very comfortable using it
Old 04-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #279  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I might as well post for the day. I was up this morning, but don't know if it was the Flat-out bread or digestive issues.

Bigdog, I use Fit Click diet tracker to track my food. (I think they have an iPhone app, but not one for android last I checked.)

Larry, I *love* your signature!

Breakfast: almond butter/chia seed pudding
Snack: cashews
Lunch: Atkins crustless chicken pot pie
Dinner: date night out again but I will be eating low carb.
Edited to add: I ended up having half of the inside of a carne asada burrito! Yum!

Last edited by Michaloula; 04-25-2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #280  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default Induction Day 4

Another good day plus I walked at a moderate pace for 2 hours

Total for today, 8g Carbs, 122g Fat, 172g Protein, 1,864 Calories

Breakfast
Sugardale - Corrected - Hickory Smoked Sliced Bacon, 3 slices
Generic - Egg - Fried - Extra Large, 3 Egg
Great Value - Cheese, Sharp Cheddar, Finely Shredded, 1/3 Cup

Lunch
Generic - Beef Shoulder Roast (Cooked), 4.0 ounces
French's Mustard - French's Mustard, Yellow, 1 tsp (5g)
Angler's Catch - Farm Raised, Salmon Fillets, 4 oz (113g)
Collards - Collard Greens Steamed, 1 cups

Dinner
Chicken - Grilled Thighs With Skin, 6.6 oz.

Snacks
Radishes - Raw, 10 medium (3/4" to 1" dia)
Coburn Farms - Mild Cheddar Cheese, 4.25 oz
Kurtz - Kosher Dill Spears, 6 oz
Mt. Olive - Delicatessen Style Pepperoncini, 2 oz about 4 peppers
Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #281  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Good Morning All!

So I just decided to take a look at a few of the meal plans in some of the Atkins books that I have lying around and I was looking at some the 100g of net carbs a day plans, which would mean probably about 130 to 150g of carbs a day depending on the amounts of fiber in the food choices you where making... which is about where I've been at lately and still losing, so I might try and incorporate some of those menus into my plan this coming week and see how I do...

One thing I have to say is I'm really enjoying having fruit back on my menu... I'd been doing berries for awhile, but now I've been having some grapefruit too... And I even decided to try a little bit of sliced banana with some powdered peanut butter (like PB2, but organic) as a treat... didn't cause me any crazy cravings... Now if I could just add a little bit of dark chocolate to that and not totally "set me off"...Lol... Then I think I'd be pretty set in the "dessert" department again...
Old 04-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #282  

I am on induction but slipped up a day, so will add that to the number of days..

Larry, thanks for the brand names of items you are eating .

Thanks anyone posting your daily menu. Sure does help and give one ideas.

Skelly. As I said before I am from MRC.. When you get to a certain stage in Atkins, or you may be there now, could you not add the MRC gel concentrate
to your 7 up, I think you said.. I have the MRC Orange in my hand and the carbs are not bad at all.. Carb 4 g minus Dietary Fiber 2g = 2 gr. carbs.. I think that is fine if you enjoy the drink.

I will say to those in your late 50's or older, it is not easy losing the weight one gained back. Not easy at all, but I feel even if it is 1/2 pound it is something and that keeps me going.

Dee
Old 04-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #283  

My friend is on a different diet, but it is similar in ways to Atkins. She shared with me her chicken meatball recipe.. I am going to try today. Nice snack with a dip. If anyone has a good recipe for a dip, please post.She does not know the servings.

CHICKEN MEATBALLS

Ground chicken(ground turkey can be used)
2 eggs
dill
parsley
salt and pepper
garlic Lots for flavor

Make into meatballs and bake
Bake 400 degrees approx. 15-20 minutes.. Check as each oven different

Dee PLEASE NOTE..>

I am adding to this.. Two eggs is way too much.makes it soupy.. I had to add more ground chicken, so that I did not have to add any bread. They came out great.. I used basil and oregano and crushed garlic, salt and pepper.. I used one pound ground meat, but added another 1/2 pound so I could roll meatballs.

Last edited by rpm3060; 04-25-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #284  
Sherry, Senior Member

good afternoon:
I'm glad to say that I had a 1.8lb loss this week, so excited.
Also today was my last day to weigh in at the MRC center, my maintenance contract is up and I don't want to pay $129 for another year. I have it all under control now finally! I sure will miss the girls they are so great, I told them I will stop in from time to time!

rpm3060: yes I do add my Grape protein drink to my diet 7 up and it's wonderful, I was a starbucks addict somewhat drinking 2 a day which was a skinny decaf mocha, had 14 nc, 14 gm protein but the sugar is high so I now drink the atkins mocha latte shade that has real coffee over crushed ice and it's like heaven.

On here it won't do decimals last week I was 175.6 this week 173.8 but it rounds it up

Last edited by skelley331; 04-25-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #285  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Good Morning All!

So I just decided to take a look at a few of the meal plans in some of the Atkins books that I have lying around and I was looking at some the 100g of net carbs a day plans, which would mean probably about 130 to 150g of carbs a day depending on the amounts of fiber in the food choices you where making... which is about where I've been at lately and still losing, so I might try and incorporate some of those menus into my plan this coming week and see how I do...

One thing I have to say is I'm really enjoying having fruit back on my menu... I'd been doing berries for awhile, but now I've been having some grapefruit too... And I even decided to try a little bit of sliced banana with some powdered peanut butter (like PB2, but organic) as a treat... didn't cause me any crazy cravings... Now if I could just add a little bit of dark chocolate to that and not totally "set me off"...Lol... Then I think I'd be pretty set in the "dessert" department again...
I read in one of the ATKINS books that the 80% cocao dark Choc was acceptable. Hershey dark choc kisses are 2 carbs and the ATKINS Dark chocolate royale shakes are 2 carbs (yum!!).
Closed Thread