Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #226  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Bigdog!

Thank you, maybe it could be water weight, I'm hoping it is. We will see how it goes this week, if no loss then I may just tweak what I'm doing.
And you are so welcome, I'm glad it's working for you, I love that I can actually eat foods I love and not sabatoge my weight.

I may be eating to many atkins products as well so maybe I will cut some out, I was doing a shake for brkfst, atkins endulge treat am and pm and then another shake on my way home. So yeah I think way too many.

Last edited by skelley331; 04-20-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #227  

Sorry for this insane rant!

So glad I found this website. I have been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember and it's difficult talking about it with family and friends. I don't like gyms because I am very self-conscious and seeing other women with these "rock hard abs" makes me want to go home and eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's and then wash it down with some cookie dough. I do some exercise videos that I found online and they are really great. I also have a treadmill and currently exercise 6x a week for 30 minutes. I am 100% all for keeping tabs on a regular basis and keeping each other motivated so I hope you all bare with me and don't hate me for blabbing on and on I get easily discouraged and feel like dieting is this constant battle I will never be able to win, so having supportive people around is great!

About a decade ago my doctors told me I had high cholesterol, which I've always had. But this time I actually listened and decided to be proactive and do something about it, since it was getting higher. I think I panicked because it was so high and I lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, mainly due to a fear of eating since the food I was consuming was apparently "hurting" me. That type of rapid weight loss was not sustainable and I put it all back on again. I yo-yo dieted for years and struggled with depression every time I gained it back. One day I decided that Rome was indeed NOT built in a day and I was determined to lose the weight the right way, even if it took years. Which it did. It came off gradually but it came off and I found by losing weight slowly, I was able to sustain the weight loss better. I counted calories for a time but felt it was too restricting and annoying so I ate clean and stuck to a plan, although now I'm back to counting calories. I had a desk job and about a year ago I went back into teaching. I'm on my feet all day and as a result, lost some more weight. Here is my concern, if anyone can offer up some advice: this past week my weight is up and I don't understand why. I will never be one of those fortunate people who can eat whatever they want. Not me. I also tend to struggle when I break and have a cheat day. I went over maintenance by 2700 calories last week (just a bad night and me with peanut butter, cookies and bread, oy vey) but I made up for it with extra cardio and a calorie deficit. It should have balanced itself out so I don't understand why I am up. I hurt myself and my doctor had me taking a lot of Ibuprofen which I read can cause water retention but I stopped taking it Saturday. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement. I worked so hard to lose weight and still work so hard to maintain my weight loss. I feel I am human and slip ups or cheat days are part of what make me human. I had two cheat days the week before as well (I eat smart all day and then at night something comes over me and I attack the ice cream and hey, I blew my diet, right? Might as well throw in a couple cookies). However, I make up for it with added exercise and a calorie deficit to balance it out and honestly, I eat a piece of chocolate a day because if I don't I feel deprived which makes it worse. From a calories in, calories out perspective, I should not have gained an ounce. I am confused and quite honestly disappointed. I feel like "what's the sense in all this dieting and calorie counting, missing out on tasty foods and torturous weigh-ins if I'm just going to gain weight anyways, for what feels like no reason?" and honestly, I want to eat everything in sight as a result. Can anyone offer up some answers? Does anyone ever have similar experiences? The stress is depressing me, as is the scale. Thanks, everyone!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMyFeet View Post
well ladies...this Atkins experiment has not been good. I lost over 8 lb in two weeks, but endured the most awful arthritis the whole time. I've been walking around like the love child of Frankenstein and Festus. Shoulders, arms, legs, and fingers ache and throb. I've been on an elimination diet the past few days in hopes of finding something that triggered all this, and living in deathly fear of gaining back. Things are starting to improve a bit, but I'm at wit's end with weight loss...and now another problem to solve...

Good luck with the program and the weight loss. I'll be seeing you in other parts of the forum!
SeeMyFeet, I'm so sorry! I wonder if it's possible that you have a food allergy that is rearing its head? Or if it could be a result of detox? I hope that you are able to find relief soon! I know how miserable it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas0818 View Post
Sorry for this insane rant!

So glad I found this website. I have been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember and it's difficult talking about it with family and friends. I don't like gyms because I am very self-conscious and seeing other women with these "rock hard abs" makes me want to go home and eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's and then wash it down with some cookie dough. I do some exercise videos that I found online and they are really great. I also have a treadmill and currently exercise 6x a week for 30 minutes. I am 100% all for keeping tabs on a regular basis and keeping each other motivated so I hope you all bare with me and don't hate me for blabbing on and on I get easily discouraged and feel like dieting is this constant battle I will never be able to win, so having supportive people around is great!

About a decade ago my doctors told me I had high cholesterol, which I've always had. But this time I actually listened and decided to be proactive and do something about it, since it was getting higher. I think I panicked because it was so high and I lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, mainly due to a fear of eating since the food I was consuming was apparently "hurting" me. That type of rapid weight loss was not sustainable and I put it all back on again. I yo-yo dieted for years and struggled with depression every time I gained it back. One day I decided that Rome was indeed NOT built in a day and I was determined to lose the weight the right way, even if it took years. Which it did. It came off gradually but it came off and I found by losing weight slowly, I was able to sustain the weight loss better. I counted calories for a time but felt it was too restricting and annoying so I ate clean and stuck to a plan, although now I'm back to counting calories. I had a desk job and about a year ago I went back into teaching. I'm on my feet all day and as a result, lost some more weight. Here is my concern, if anyone can offer up some advice: this past week my weight is up and I don't understand why. I will never be one of those fortunate people who can eat whatever they want. Not me. I also tend to struggle when I break and have a cheat day. I went over maintenance by 2700 calories last week (just a bad night and me with peanut butter, cookies and bread, oy vey) but I made up for it with extra cardio and a calorie deficit. It should have balanced itself out so I don't understand why I am up. I hurt myself and my doctor had me taking a lot of Ibuprofen which I read can cause water retention but I stopped taking it Saturday. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement. I worked so hard to lose weight and still work so hard to maintain my weight loss. I feel I am human and slip ups or cheat days are part of what make me human. I had two cheat days the week before as well (I eat smart all day and then at night something comes over me and I attack the ice cream and hey, I blew my diet, right? Might as well throw in a couple cookies). However, I make up for it with added exercise and a calorie deficit to balance it out and honestly, I eat a piece of chocolate a day because if I don't I feel deprived which makes it worse. From a calories in, calories out perspective, I should not have gained an ounce. I am confused and quite honestly disappointed. I feel like "what's the sense in all this dieting and calorie counting, missing out on tasty foods and torturous weigh-ins if I'm just going to gain weight anyways, for what feels like no reason?" and honestly, I want to eat everything in sight as a result. Can anyone offer up some answers? Does anyone ever have similar experiences? The stress is depressing me, as is the scale. Thanks, everyone!
Welcome, Kas! Have you thought of trying Atkins? For me it's been *amazing* to realize that my cravings are GONE. Gone. Period. Oh, there's an occasional, fleeting thought of something, but I know I can squash it quick with some yummy, high-fat, satisfying snack. This is coming from the person who was grazing 24/7. If I wasn't in the kitchen trolling for something to eat, I was thinking about it. Constantly. It's such a relief to be free! (I do still struggle in social situations, but I'm working on it!)

I've gotten to within 10lbs of goal (with a different diet) and gained it all back (with some extra for good measure). I *hate* that food rules my life, but I really do feel that Atkins is the answer to the long run, lifetime way of eating.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #229  

I'm still sitting in the same place on the scales. I know we're not supposed to weigh every day, but I feel like I need to have some accountability for what I'm doing, to see if it's at least going the right direction. I'm still paying for Thursday/Friday and realized that I have gained/lost the same few pounds this past week. I am NOT (<<< that's me shouting my denial!) going to keep going like that!

I've been POP since then, except low on water. I'll be pushing that today as well as trying to get on the dreadmill.

Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited by Michaloula; 04-20-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #230  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

It's pouring down rain here... So I decided to do some "stairs" in my house... and I just hit 50 "Floors" on my Fitbit....

Don't think I'm going to get anywhere near my record though today.... And my poor legs feel light there's lead in them right now... Lol...

I think I'm going to go crazy and treat myself to 2oz of Dark Chocolate Almond milk in my coffee for 5g of carbs... Time for me to live a little...
Old 04-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #231  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
That is awesome!! Keep us posted and please keep sharing- you are a true inspiration to me and appreciate the food tips, etc.
My DH ran the 26 mile Marathon in Richmond, Va and runs 5 and 10ks - he loves it. Hasn't ran lately except for chasing our GSDs - lol!!
Good Luck!
Thanks! I've heard good things about the Richmond Marathon... In fact I think it gets voted "Best" of the smaller cities marathons... or something like that... I'm pretty sure it was one of the ones I looked into running a few years ago, when I was planning my last running "comeback"... Lol... I've run the NYC Marathon (my hometown!) and Philly... New York was an experience I'll never forget... And Philadelphia was a really good time too... And all that running kept my weight in the 130's which was pretty nice too...
Old 04-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #232  
Heading Downtown...

So today I ate a TON of veggies... Well it seemed like a ton to me anyway... I had a large salad at lunch with about 3 cups of greens and 1oz of grape tomatoes and I also had 4 cups of broccoli that I blended up into a "soup"... And all that was only 21g of carbs... And 10g of fiber... So 11g of net carbs....

All I can say is 12 to 15g of carbs from "foundation" vegetables IS A LOT of veggies...
Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #233  

I can't figure out what to have for dinner. Nothing sounds good.

Breakfast was a two egg omelette with mojack and salsa.

Lunch was taco salad

So far that's 22g carbs with 11g fiber.

Okay! Had crustless pizza for dinner.

That takes it up to 27 carbs and 12g fiber.

It was weird because my blood sugar tanked before I'd figured out what I wanted. I haven't felt that for a *long* time!

Last edited by Michaloula; 04-20-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #234  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaloula View Post
I can't figure out what to have for dinner. Nothing sounds good.

Breakfast was a two egg omelette with mojack and salsa.

Lunch was taco salad

So far that's 22g carbs with 11g fiber.
I had chicken poached in broth and my broccoli "soup" concoction... Not very exciting... But it kept my carbs and calories in check and at least it was very filling...
Old 04-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 164/163/120

Height: 5' 2"

Default Definitely interested

I need some external willpower......please help!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #236  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I had chicken poached in broth and my broccoli "soup" concoction... Not very exciting... But it kept my carbs and calories in check and at least it was very filling...
That sounds really good! I've done something similar with asparagus. Steamed it, cut off the tips, blended everything else and then put the tips back in. It's yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morriscode View Post
Ooh, that was me today, too! You can do this!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #237  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Tripswitch- it is a lot of veggies- one time- no lie - I fell asleep eating a huge salad when I was lounging on the couch. My DH woke me up and I continued. Lol!! I've been known to grab a whole stalk of celery on the go and eat on a commute to work
Today:
B. 2 scrambled eggs in olive oil Pam, 2 slices bacon
Coffee w whipping cream
S. Atkins strawberry banana shake (I couldn't resist)
L. Shredded raw green cabbage, sunflower seeds, leftover rib eye steak, raspberry vinegarette (6 g!) (ranch or blue cheese would have been better choice)
S. Slice bacon, 1 oz roasted almonds
D. Shredded raw cabbage, sliced flank steak, raspberry vinegarette, small sprinkle of sunflower seeds

Calories. 1294. Net carbs. 20.3

I've been boiling eggs and frying bacon, cut up veggies and put in zip locks on Sunday so I'll have snacks avail. Portion out almonds, shredded cabbage in large ziplock, etc.
got the Dr Atkins quick and easy new diet cookbook from the library today. Wow!!! Lots of new recipes to try out and still stay on plan.
I'm thinking SFFF jello would be good blended w heavy cream - 0 carbs.
Read in the cookbook about low carb flours, soy flour and even Atkins flour. Said they could be found in health stores or order online.

Last edited by bigdog; 04-20-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #238  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morriscode View Post
Have you started the plan yet or no? One thing that helps, if you are having cravings, is to snack on something high fat. That saved me a couple of times.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #239  

Omigosh!!!! CHEEZ-ITS!!! http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheezits.html It is heaven! Next batch I'll sprinkle some of my xxx cayene on there for hot cheetos! Yummy! That upped my carb count for the day to 16 net. woo!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #240  

Michaloula....thanks for the tip! I considered Atkins but don't know if it's possible to exist without gnocchi LOL. I was up another 2 pounds this morning. UGH! And "dreadmill" about sums it up I was on point with calories and did my usual 30 mins of cardio and BAM! up two pounds. If I'm going to gain 4 pounds in a week it better be because I thoroughly enjoyed a whole cheesecake and then some. I was taking Ibuprofen for an injury which I know can cause water retention but if that's the culprit, when will it go away? I stopped taking it Saturday. Also, whenever I drink tea I pee immediately and alllllll day. Since Saturday I have been drinking XL teas and retaining all that water. I feel uncomfortable. Does anyone know how long it takes to undo the water weight from Ibuprofen? I feel gross and this makes sticking to a diet even harder. Thanks!
Closed Thread