Old 10-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218.5/211.1/175

Height: 5' 4"

Default Sharon's First Day of Induction

I spent Monday in grocery stores essentially switching out non-induction foods from my fridge and pantry, and low and no-carb foods in. I moved all my whole grains out of sight--not quite ready to donate them. I did donate a bunch of fruit to a neighbor. I also spent the rest of the day finishing reading Atkins 2002 and re-reading the induction chapter. By the end of the day I couldn't wait until Wednesday--when I had planned to start.

Woke up today, Tuesday (Oct 21), raring to go. So far I have learned those little 1 and 0.8 gram things add up really fast. I am coming off almost a vegan diet and I am in the habit of throwing everything in sight into salads--not a good idea on Atkins. I think tomatoes are going to have to go, at least temporarily. I am at 17 grams and I haven't eaten dinner yet, so will have to be extremely careful.

Even though I had been eating a lot of whole fruit before I started I don't have any sugar cravings yet--haven't eating sweeteners or any kind of sugar in years. However, 'yet' is the operative word--cravings may kick in.

What I am totally enjoying is cream in my tea, butter and cheese--all of which I haven't had for months since being convinced to give up dairy. The whole day has felt decadent and delicious! And 4 ounces of cheese a day is way more than I have been tempted to eat, at least so far.

So far so good.

(I haven't decided goals yet. I may post a question concerning goals separately.)

Beginning weight: 208.7
First goal: 199.9
Final goal: undecided
jicarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #2  
Haters gonna hate

S/C/G: 187.5/175.2/140

Height: 5'3

Keep it up! You will get to 199.9 with no problem.
SunnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #3  

Default Sharon Day 2 Losing water

Day 2: So far, so good.

I lost 1.1 pounds of water on the first day--which is needed to get into ketosis, which won't happen until I have lost my 5 pounds of water from stored glycogen.

I went over my 20 g limit at 23.5 g yesterday but am counting rigorously, weighing and measuring, and counting fractions of grams.

Went out and bought xanthan and ketone test strips today. I am SO looking forward to seeing purple by the end of a week! I am also looking forward to lightening up a bit (I'm feeling a little OCD)--when I can eyeball amounts better and am more familiar with which vegetables are dangerous--onions, yikes!

Still I really am enjoying the cheese!

Beginning 208.7
Today 207.6
1st Mini-goal: 199.9
Insane dream goal: 145
Old 10-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #4  

Default Fifth Day

Well, there is good news and bad news. It is my fifth day, but I have only lost 2.5 pounds. My carb counts have been a little above 20, averaging 23, but I am learning as I go. Even though my carbs haven't been perfect today (day 5) I finally got into ketosis.

However, the Atkins 2010 book arrived and it doesn't recommend the test strips, and the Atkins posters to that message board says they aren't accurate enough to bother with. So I guess I just do not know where I am. Hydration and dehydration can affect the strip results and my weight too.

The only thing I can do is keep on for at least the full two weeks and see if this is going to work for me. I am going to cut down on my fat intake and replace it with protein--not drastically, but I have been going a bit over the top.

Sharon

SW 208.7
10/25 206.2
IGW 199.9
IGW 175.0
GW 145.0
Old 10-26-2014, 06:08 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicarilla View Post
Well, there is good news and bad news. It is my fifth day, but I have only lost 2.5 pounds. My carb counts have been a little above 20, averaging 23, but I am learning as I go. Even though my carbs haven't been perfect today (day 5) I finally got into ketosis.

However, the Atkins 2010 book arrived and it doesn't recommend the test strips, and the Atkins posters to that message board says they aren't accurate enough to bother with. So I guess I just do not know where I am. Hydration and dehydration can affect the strip results and my weight too.

The only thing I can do is keep on for at least the full two weeks and see if this is going to work for me. I am going to cut down on my fat intake and replace it with protein--not drastically, but I have been going a bit over the top.

Sharon

SW 208.7
10/25 206.2
IGW 199.9
IGW 175.0
GW 145.0
Hi Sharon,

Speaking from experience with the test strips, they were never accurate for me. I lost 100 lbs. and they never changed color. You are correct, hydration as well as dehydration can and does alter the results of the test strips as well as your weight. While it may seem the "old-fashioned" way to do it, the best indicator of weight loss is in how your clothes are fitting as the scale too, isn't the best option. Have you taken measurements before being Atkins?

Many people make the mistake in thinking Atkins is a high protein program when in fact, it is moderate protein, high fat. That being said, protein intake is typically 4-6 ozs. per meal and fat being 60-70%. The one thing I learned (and I believe many of us on Atkins learn), is cheese, although it is a permitted food, can and often does cause a stall in weight loss. I personally am only able to eat 1-2 ozs. of cheese every few days.

It sounds like you are off to a great start! As I'm sure you are already realizing, this is a learning process. A few "tweaks" here and there and you will learn what works for you!

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #6  

Kim--I so appreciate your encouragement to me and to others and your being so willing to share your knowledge. I woke up this morning re-invigorated and re-committed even before reading your message which was icing on the cake (oops! perhaps not a good metaphor!) thanks.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Kim--I so appreciate your encouragement to me and to others and your being so willing to share your knowledge. I woke up this morning re-invigorated and re-committed even before reading your message which was icing on the cake (oops! perhaps not a good metaphor!) thanks.
Sharon, sounds like you've got a plan of action to get this accomplished If there is anything I can help you with, I'd be happy to.
All the best to you!!
Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

Sharon,

I have the same issue with the weight loss. I think I will be rounding out my week with no weight loss. But, I'm suspecting that might be hormonal since I was down five lbs and haven't do anything different. I do feel like I'm eating too much. But, it has helped keep hunger at bay. My sweet cravings are through the roof though.
workinghardatlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #9  

Default End of first week

Well, it certainly isn't going as well as I would like. I have gotten stuck, staying at 205.9 to 206 for three days in a row.

There are many pluses, however. I am well and truly out of any cravings for sugar or starch, which I had been heavily indulging in for a month or so previous to starting Atkins. I do have more energy (and as a result have been able to stick to my exercise plan). I also have cut back on the cheese intake as well.

I am committed to the full 2-week induction phase and will complete it no matter what, and then I will see where I am in weight and measurements (I haven't measured again yet to compare with before I started). I am wanting to eat more vegetables even though I take a multivitamin.

No matter what happens or whether I stick with Atkins or not, I will stick with no more flour, sugar (or probably wheat, either). My body is really responding well to that and all the cravings are gone due to complete elimination of them.

Sharon

W 208.7
10/29 206.0
IGW 199.9
IGW 175.0
GW 145.0
Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #10  

Default Progress as of 10/30

Well, all of a sudden there is an improvement. I guess the trick is to just stick with it. I don't know what happened--if anything I ate slightly more carbs yesterday--24 g--but I have been going to the gym and walking. My intent today is to get those carbs back down!

SW 208.7
10/30 205.2
IGW 199.9
IGW 175.0
GW 145.0
Old 11-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #11  

Default End of 2-week induction phase today

Well, this didn't work as well as I had hoped, but must be honest. I had a very difficult time staying below 20 grams a day, but never went above 25 in the entire two weeks.

After one week I had lost 2.8 pounds and after the second week another 0.8 pounds, a total of 3.6, less than 5 pounds, which is the expected loss of water. However, for the second week I was in weak ketosis as measured with strips all the time, so I think I must have lost all the stored glycogen.

I achieved my primary objective which was total loss of cravings for sugar, flour and wheat. (I came into Atkins having had a short but complete relapse into eating flour and sugar.) However, while on the plan, I also felt I wasn't getting enough vegetables.

I found the carb counting tedious and time consuming, and I found more correlation between my weight and my exercise than with carbs consumed.

I really believe Atkins as it is written is a great diet for a lot of people, but I think not for me. I intend to continue on a low-carb diet that is very close to Phase 2 (OWL), but without counting carbs, so it won't be true Atkins as in the book, and I won't be posting here any more.

Thanks to everyone for all your support and guidance. You all have been great.

SW 208.7 (10/21)
10/28 205.9
11/4 205.1
IGW 199.9
IGW 175.0
GW 145.0
Old 11-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Did someone make you feel unwelcome?

I don't follow Atkins "by the book" and no one has kicked me out - could you be a little too rigid ;-)

I like this small sub forum because we are all doing pretty low carb, I think we've all read Atkins and made adjustments to make this work for ourselves.

Someone eating a regular low fat diet would probably not fit well here, but anyone on the lower carb spectrum would do fine - and there are lots of kind, supportive experienced folks on here.

Wishing you well on your next evolution, wherever it takes you, and I hope you can find another supportive community because it does help a lot.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
I really believe Atkins as it is written is a great diet for a lot of people, but I think not for me. I intend to continue on a low-carb diet that is very close to Phase 2 (OWL), but without counting carbs, so it won't be true Atkins as in the book, and I won't be posting here any more.

Thanks to everyone for all your support and guidance. You all have been great.

Hi Sharon,

I am sorry to hear Atkins didn't work for you as well as you had expected. That being said, I am happy to hear you will be sticking with low-carb. While looking good is a nice benefit of weight loss, it is secondary to improving health and I believe low-carb definitely improves health.

Although you may not be doing Atkins, I do hope you will still come to this site and post your questions and your progress. You might consider posting under the "Carb Counters" or "Other Reduced Carb Diets" areas.

Wishing you much success with your journey!!

All the best to you!!
Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahinparis View Post
Did someone make you feel unwelcome?
I came back to check something and noticed I had never responded to your question. No, everyone was more than wonderful in their support especially answering all my questions on all the threads. Thanks so much. I am going to still be reading over peoples shoulders this Atkins group and others as well. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

"waves" from Ext. SW Tucson.

Gotta think long term, one day at a time.

Best wishes on your WOE
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote