3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Do Atkins book versions differ significantly? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/299930-do-atkins-book-versions-differ-significantly.html)

jicarilla 10-17-2014 01:11 PM

Do Atkins book versions differ significantly?

I haven't quite started Atkins, but am in research mode. I am in the middle of reading Atkins 2002, but have ordered New Atkins for a New You (2010) as well. I notice in reading old threads here that several people seem to prefer 2002 to newer versions. Are they significantly different and if so is there a reason you believe 2002 is better?

I should be fully committed and sharing more in about a week. :?:

JerseyGyrl 10-17-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicarilla (Post 5083120)
I haven't quite started Atkins, but am in research mode. I am in the middle of reading Atkins 2002, but have ordered New Atkins for a New You (2010) as well. I notice in reading old threads here that several people seem to prefer 2002 to newer versions. Are they significantly different and if so is there a reason you believe 2002 is better?

I should be fully committed and sharing more in about a week. :?:

While opinions on this subject do vary, I can only speak for myself:) I have been doing Atkins for 10 and a half years and go by 2002. Dr. Atkins wrote it. The "new" books (Not written by Dr. Atkins) condone Atkins products. Some may argue Dr. Atkins might have included those products had he been alive today but, I don't buy into that thinking based on what he said.
" stating these "come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can't find time for a meal, or need a quick snack." He also said "While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don't overdo it. Remember you must always follow the Rules of Induction." Rule 5 of the Rules of Induction states "Eat NOTHING that is not on the acceptable foods list and that means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this stage of Atkins (Induction)." Unfortunately, the Atkins Corp. have not stayed true to his rule. The ingredients in those bars, shakes, candies, frozen meals & breakfast sandwiches are not on the acceptable foods list. They contain things like Milk, Peanuts, Soy, Pasta, Wheat, Almonds, Coconut, Confectioners Glaze....not to mention Maltitol, Dextrose, Glycerin, and a host of other unpronounceable ingredients. The saddest part of all this is, these products carry the Atkins name, which leads people to believe they can trust them if they are following the Atkins diet....and....they are being marketed as "For ALL Phases". :(:(:(
The one thing I do like about the new book is that it advocates eating more foundation vegetables. You can't go wrong with plenty of vegetables!!

jicarilla 10-18-2014 10:03 AM

Thanks for your response. This fits with my thinking as well. I eat absolutely no artificial or natural sweeteners of any kind and haven't for years. I essentially stay out of the center of the grocery store, including all 'diet' products, Atkins or not. I have started to even buy organic vegetables (as Atkins himself actually recommends in one place in 2002), but organic or even cage-free poultry or grass-fed beef is beyond my financial ability.

I am really happy to find someone here who agrees with me. I hate what seems to be the 'anything to make a buck' trend in Atkins--although they are not alone, take a look at Weight Watchers! To each his own--the important thing is we all agree on the important ideas and science in Atkins.

TheSatinPumpkin 10-18-2014 10:49 AM

Hear Hear!

QuilterInVA 10-18-2014 04:58 PM

While I choose not to use these products, I feel that if they actually help someone stay on the plan instead of reverting to old eating habits, they have some value.

JerseyGyrl 10-19-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuilterInVA (Post 5083513)
I feel that if they actually help someone stay on the plan instead of reverting to old eating habits, they have some value.

I too, agree with what you've said.
The products were created, as Dr. Atkins stated " when you are unable to find appropriate food, can't find time for a meal, or need a quick snack." He also said, "While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don't overdo it. Remember you must always follow the Rules of Induction." These products were not intended for everyday use or as meal replacements. Unfortunately, that is how the Atkins Corp. is marketing them. I have seen on this forum and many others (I am an admin on an Atkins group on Facebook) "I have an Atkins bar or shake everyday for breakfast etc." That is usually followed by "I'm not losing weight on this plan and I just don't understand why". Sadly, most don't know any better. They haven't read any of the Atkins books. They are going by hearsay from other's who haven't read the books either. They are following the Atkins website which bombards you with one advertisement after another for these products. They see these products in the stores and they are being marketed as "For ALL Phases". Some of the bars say "Meal Replacement" on the box. No wonder people are confused!!:?::?::?:
If you are out somewhere and you can't have an Atkins friendly meal or snack, yes, they are convenient. Yes, it is better than grabbing something inappropriate. I totally agree. But, those are the only times those products should be used, not as an everyday part of this plan.
I am passionate about seeing people succeed on this because I know it works when its done correctly. I don't know it all and I'm not an authority. I am speaking from my own personal experience and I do completely agree with your statement:)

Lilmissprepper 10-29-2014 06:41 AM

Don't the new versions also cave into the 'Saturated fat is unhealthy' lie?

jicarilla 10-30-2014 10:50 AM

Saturated fat still okay

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilmissprepper (Post 5087365)
Don't the new versions also cave into the 'Saturated fat is unhealthy' lie?

No--starting on p. 53 (The New Atkins for a New You) they say avoiding sat fats to be healthy is a myth and go on to explain in detail. However, they emphasize a balance and do say non-sat fats improve cholesterol levels while sat fats have no effect, essentially, so olive oil etc. is preferred. They also talk at length about where to get enough omega-3's etc. in a whole chapter on fats. It is worth reading.

I myself say the jury is still out on sat fats. For instance a brand new study indicates that for people with a genetic tendency to obesity (me!), sat fat is a bad idea:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0604092707.htm

and another very recent study has evidence that sat fats really do cause heart disease:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1028101609.htm

I myself am a bit of a nerd and try to make evidence-based choices. There is a lot of evidence that a lot of dairy fat and certainly red meat fat may not be the best choice, although I continue to eat some of both. My mantra is balance in all things...