3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Which Atkins book do you use? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/299359-atkins-book-do-you-use.html)

capecodmomma 09-19-2014 05:46 PM

Which Atkins book do you use?

I've got the original 1972 book. It's food stained and pages falling out. I also have a bunch of the newer books. The newer ones are quite a bit different.
Which book do you guys follow?
The oldie but goodie?
The new fangled ones with the new "convenience" foods?
Don't fix what ain't broken?
Or...current is cool?

JerseyGyrl 09-19-2014 05:54 PM

In my 10+ years of doing Atkins, I use Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002. I don't recommend any of the books written after that because Dr. Atkins himself didn't write them.

TheSatinPumpkin 09-20-2014 08:47 AM

Another one following DANDR.

wannaskipandlaugh 09-20-2014 02:25 PM

I too have an older version (somewhere on my bookshelf).. but next to me on my counter top is the 2002 version... :)

choices 09-20-2014 05:36 PM

Wondering the same thing about which book~

After reading this post I realized I wasn't sure if anything basic had changed. I had sold my first copy/or donated it,thinking I had memorized everything.(wrong) so today went to the library and picked out three all pre-2003..As I was flipping through I noticed No beans..even black beans..somehow I had not memorized that so I'm glad I got all the bks. I did today.I think I got it mixed up w/southbeach which I use to follow and did well on it. However in the past few yrs. I've developed hypothyroidism which slows down the metabolism and makes it even more difficult to lose weight,and the SB wasn't working for me any more. If anyone knows that this way of eating helps that issue I'd be so happy to hear from them.
Nice to meet you all!;)

choices 10-10-2014 02:56 PM

Thanks for the great tip

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl (Post 5072354)
In my 10+ years of doing Atkins, I use Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002. I don't recommend any of the books written after that because Dr. Atkins himself didn't write them.

As per your info. I was able to find a few bk.s on amazon that were printed b4 2002..and was able to buy one. Thanks for that info. It makes sense.:D

QuilterInVA 10-14-2014 09:20 AM

Since the science behind weight loss has changed, I used the new books. How does anyone know what Dr. Atkins would have done if he were still with us. Do we still drive Model T's because that is what Ford invented?

SunnyDC 10-14-2014 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the cover: I'm actually re reading it now for inspiration. It's the one with his picture on the cover.

pjmslim 10-14-2014 01:12 PM

HI FOLKS
I have done well on Atkins in the past
Now it doesn't seem to work any more
Any ideas would be gratefully received
x

JerseyGyrl 10-14-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmslim (Post 5081891)
HI FOLKS
I have done well on Atkins in the past
Now it doesn't seem to work any more
Any ideas would be gratefully received
x

What exactly are you eating & drinking while "doing Atkins" ?

ginamay28 11-05-2014 12:04 PM

I looked at my book - just to see what year it was and it is a 1997 edition. I think I have several editions though. This is the one I keep at work.

Ubee 11-05-2014 12:32 PM

I was doing Grain Brain which in my opinion is Atkins gone organic and in the maintenance stage. If I remember correctly Dr. Perlmutter wrote Grain Brain after he was so impressed with the health of his patients following Atkins. I am a little daft so I had to read both books to figure out what works for me and my family.

sarahinparis 11-06-2014 08:03 AM

I think Grain Brain is very good - Dr Perlmutter knows his stuff, although his plan isn't as weight loss focused as Atkins I do think it incorporates newer science.

Basically the problem with the newer Atkins books is that they allow Atkins products (shakes, bars, etc). That's really where you can go wrong. If you ignore those, the plan hasn't changed much. That said, I do think people who struggle should probably give the 72 (original) version a try - it's more restrictive and more foolproof - he loosened it up to make it more applicable to "everyone" since not every person needs all the restriction to succeed. But some of us do, and if you don't have results on regular Atkins (without Atkins products) I think it's a good plan to try.

shan84 11-06-2014 07:54 PM

Could anyone post the '72 version of induction? I am in China right now so I don't have access to just pop on out to a bookstore to purchase it or to order it online. I would like to start soon. Thanks for anyone that could help. Or you can pm me.

ginamay28 11-06-2014 08:40 PM

I just thought about that I had an ebook. My ebook version is 2002.