Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/206/160

Height: 5'7

Default Monday will be Day one

Monday will be Day One of Induction Phase. Any pointers or advice? I did this diet 13 years ago and soooo much has changed.

Thanks,
Michelle
mperkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

back Michelle!

My advice to you (even though you've done this before), would be to be sure you've read the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions) BEFORE you begin the plan. This is critical to understanding exactly how this works and to doing it correctly.

I would also advise you to stay away from ALL Atkins products (bars, shakes, candy, frozen meals etc.). These things are chemical & preservative laden, over-priced crapola. Sadly, they are being marketed as being "appropriate for all phases" while they are not.

Drink plenty of water. Get some exercise Eat only acceptable foods. This does work when its done as Dr. Atkins designed it. I am living proof!

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 08-28-2014 at 07:13 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/206/160

Height: 5'7

Thank you JerseyGyrl. I am excited to do this again. I will look for the book at my local bookstore and read up on it this weekend before I start Monday.
mperkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #4  

Jerseygirl, I was going to try to message you but don't know how so I'll ask here.

First off, your story is SO inspiring. I have been on Ideal Protein (IP) for 3.5 weeks and can't tolerate the processed foods, I'm celiac and the sucralose was killing me so now I'm doing it on my own with the 1 IP food I can eat - the chicken soup.

I am seriously thinking of switching to Atkins though and want to ask you a couple of things. FYI, I have lost about 13 or so lbs. (and that's with 9 days on holidays in there, also the first week on IP - following to a T I only lost 2.5 lbs. but I think that's because the foods were puffing me up so much, after I reduced them I lost 5 lbs. in the next week).

I have 32 or so more lbs. to go. On Atkins, did you eat as much fat as you wanted? Did you eat bacon and sausage? Did you stay on induction longer than the initial time they recommend? I have the DANDR book but I left it at my winter home and am now a different location for the summer.

Thanks for your help and feel free to DM me .

PS you say any Atkins book before 2002, is there a reason you say that?
Lynn

Last edited by Adventuregurl; 09-01-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Adventuregurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Hi Lynn,

Thank you for your kind words.

Before beginning Atkins, I would strongly suggest you read the book. Maybe you could borrow one from a local library. This is critical in understanding exactly how & why this plan works when it is done correctly. I recommend Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions. The "newer" books are not written by Dr. Atkins himself and have been "modified" to include Atkins products, which are best to steer clear of.

When doing Atkins, you should be getting 65% of your calories from fat. I do eat bacon & sausage but, I am careful to read labels. Check for added sugar and also for "fillers" such as breadcrumbs in sausage as these would definitely be a no-no.

Being that I had 100 lbs. to lose, I stayed on extended Induction until I was approximately 20 lbs. from my goal. My carbs are kept pretty low even now, 10+ years later. I rarely eat over 50 carbs per day.

Keeping everything simple and eating real foods works best with Atkins. Stay away from anything not on the acceptable foods list. Drink plenty of water. Get moderate exercise. It works!

You CAN do this!

All the best to you!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #6  

Thanks so much Kim, I did read one of the books but can't remember which one, I'll check some local thrift stores, those places often have them as people buy them but then don't use them.

On your plan was whipped cream limited to 2 TBSP per day?

PS I would never use his products, first off they are NOT gluten free and secondly they are full of chemicals/preservatives.

Last edited by Adventuregurl; 09-01-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuregurl View Post
Thanks so much Kim, I did read one of the books but can't remember which one, I'll check some local thrift stores, those places often have them as people buy them but then don't use them.

On your plan was whipped cream limited to 2 TBSP per day?

PS I would never use his products, first off they are NOT gluten free and secondly they are full of chemicals/preservatives.
Hi Lynn,

Yes, on Dr. Atkins 2002 plan, whipping cream is limited to 2-3 Tablespoons per day. I use 1 Tablespoon in my morning tea on occasion but, that is about the extent of me using whipping cream. That being said, the same goes for cheese. The allowed amount is up to 4 ozs. a day. I learned too much cheese can be a common staller. I have limited cheese to an ounce or 2 and I don't eat it everyday.

Glad to hear you will be staying away from Atkins products. They are evil. Its a sad situation because they are marketed as being acceptable for all phases of Atkins. Most people don't realize they are over-priced, chemical laden crapola. This is something I recommend anyone doing Atkins or thinking about doing Atkins read......http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

Please keep me posted on how you're doing Lynn.

All the best to you!!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #8  

Jersey Girl, do you have any opinions on Quest Bars - they're low carb, sugar free?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventuregurl View Post
Jersey Girl, do you have any opinions on Quest Bars - they're low carb, sugar free?

Thanks
MY opinion on Quest Bars would be to stay away from them.

There are 2 varieties of Quest Bars. One is sweetened with Sucralose (Splenda), the other is sweetened with Stevia & Erythritol. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol. For a better understanding of sugar alcohol's and how they affect the body, I'd suggest you read this:
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php