Old 05-23-2014, 04:32 AM   #1  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Default "Anything Challenge": Just for one week

Happy Friday!! I'm starting an "Anything Challenge" just for one week or portions of the week for your own personal challenge!! Everyone is welcome to join!!

So my personal challenge for this coming week:
1. Fat fast Friday, Saturday, Sunday (Monday is a stretch goal) - actually it's all a stretch goal....but I can dream!! "Dream it, Be it!!"
2. Exercise daily - really solidify my squat and arm routine - walking I got!!
3. Induction levels for rest of week
4. See if I can leave the month of May below 169

Best wishes for an on-plan day!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #2  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Anything challenge week.... hmmmmmmmmmm

My goals everyday - until 5/30
1. Drink 40 oz of water a day
2. Eat only Atkins approved food (except Xocai Chocs)
3. Laugh at least 3 times a day and hug at least 1 person
4. Throw away at least 1 thing (not normally thrown) a day!

Eeyk.. that last one always stops me!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY ALL! and a BIG THANK YOU to those of you who have served and/or those of you who have/had family members who served (Dad was in the Korean war on an the Oriskanny Carrier)
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #3  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

I'm in... I love the idea. I generally get worn out by challenges but one at the end of the month can only help to finish the month strong.

-I have to reach a goal of 157 lbs this month. I started at 168 last week I'm currently at 163.8.
-Stay strong.
-Don't let family/work derail me
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #4  
not looking back

S/C/G: 196/150

Height: 5'7

I will....

adhere to workout schedule
drink 3 waters a day
take my vitamins
no 'cheats'

Last edited by smith1313; 05-23-2014 at 10:04 AM.
smith1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/251/185

Height: 5'6

Lulu what exactly is a fat fast?
Will have to think about this and what I'm really willing to commit to and start tomorrow...
newme12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #6  
Enjoying the journey

Carol - a fat fast is a short term carb and calories restrictive phase for metabolically challenged people...,about 90 % of the diet is fat. I have plateaued for 7 weeks so I wanted to see if I could budge. The idea is to have 5 - 200 calorie "meals" - all high fat/low carb...like macadamia nuts, cream cheese, eggs with mayo, tuna with mayo.....so a total of 1000 calories. Yesterday I ate macadamia nuts and cream cheese. I measured and calculated the calories. No change in the scale....it is hard to do and not safe long term. The idea is to start weight loss through the fast ...then increase calories and then move to induction levels - which looks like paradise compared to a fat fast menu. It should only be used for 4-5 days and the only other time I tried I didn't make it past the first day. My mom has my book right now so I can't tell you what chapter it is in....if you are losing at all you should not use the fat fast....from what I have read....

Day 1 of the fat fast complete...
No exercise...yikes!! But I will have time to walk today!!

Best wishes for an on-plan day!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I'm in, I just need to think about my goals - I would really like to do something intensive like Fat Fast but I'm not sure that's good for me right now, as these are a few writing-intensive days and I need full brain power! I always feel kinda spaced out when I fat fast...

Here's the thread I did about my last fat fast (in January I think)
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atki...-fat-fast.html
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #8  
Sue finding inner song

Fat Fast... HHHMMM Maybe the next week... I read in the 2002 version of the book that you eat 6 oz of Macadamia nuts and 6 oz of cream cheese for the day.... I will have to read again to see if anything can be added for flavor (cream cheese)... hhhmmm

5/23 Drank water (extra actually)
Ate Atkins food Check
Hugged a New Guy (OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO My!)
Did not throw away anything.. yep.. this is the toughest of them all.. Today.. I must throw out 2 things!
Old 05-25-2014, 02:58 AM   #9  

Alright, this is a very different week for me - I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I'm working on a book and the manuscript is due in a few weeks and I'm under major deadline pressure. So my husband took our 2 young kids to visit his parents for the weekend, leaving me alone with my writing for 3 days (he has them most of Monday too) and then next weekend is a long holiday weekend here in France and we have had a hassle with my stepson's school and so it turns out to be convenient for me to stay in Paris and accompany him Friday night, so I'll have another 2 days Weds afternoon-Friday afternoon to work - and NOT having to care for my family.

After seeing this thread yesterday I decided to strike while the iron was hot and went ahead and started the day as a fat fast (I always drink bulletproof coffee instead of breakfast anyway, so that was no different). I waited until I was hungry to eat again and just ate a fat fast meal, then some macadamia nuts when I was hungry again, and then well, the day was already started as a fat fast, and it's a huge time saver because there is really nothing to cook and so I went with it.

I will try to stay on the Fat Fast through Monday, but my priority is the writing so if the brain falters, I'll eat (right now i'm feeling great though!)

And I'll consider another couple of days of fat fast late in the week.

Fat Fast is something I've always played around with (these days I do it dairy free, but cream cheese works great as a feeding, Sue!) - I've thought before that I could probably lose all my weight this way - I often drop 3 or 4 pounds over 3 to 5 days, and usually only 1 or 2 come back after, and I could probably cycle through fat fast periods every couple of weeks and get rid of another chunk of weight that way.

It's good for me mentally right now, I've been hovering around the same weight for about a month and I'd really like to be under 180 by the end of June when I go to visit my US family for a month - and it's been frustrating watching the scale stagnate (I know why, I'm not complaining, but still it's frustrating)

So, my ANYTHING challenge is :
- Track all food & log in software
- A few days of Fat Fast this week
Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 AM   #10  
Enjoying the journey

Fat fast over..it was too restrictive and I did not feel great on it!! Scale wise it was a wash...still not seeing 168.,,,

Back to regular Atkin's focus and exercise routine for the rest of the week!!

Sue - You can do it- throw it away!!
Thirti4thirty - Wow -you are doing great!'
Smith - I need to commit to water too!'
Easily - I think alcohol is a big deal and I'm glad you wrote about it!! It's harder to stick to a plan after a glass of wine or a beer!!
Newme - Did you decided on something.......or just regular plan for this week!!
Sarah- Best wishes on the fat fast!! I give you a lot of credit because it is a really tough challenge...in my opinion....

Best wishes for an on-plan day!!'
Old 05-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #11  

Argh, Lulu, I was strong for fat fast thinking of you - glad I didn't see that you switched paths, because I did it for 48 hours and dropped almost 4 pounds (I was due for a whoosh anyway, but still!)

My "Anything challenge" for the remainder of the week :

Sat 24 : fat fast
Sun 25 : fat fast
Mon 26 : return to "normal" low carb
Tues 27 : low carb
Wed 28 : fat fast
Thur 29 : fat fast
Fri 30 : return to normal
Sat 31 : careful... low carb but away from home
Sun 1 : careful... low carb but away from home

And I'll keep my food log the whole time. The mid-week fat fast is a prevention strategy in advance of what will likely be a very challenging weekend eating environment.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #12  
Sue finding inner song

Lulu.. I am sorry that the fat fast did not work for you!.. I have too much stuff in my fridge (enough for 5 dinners and 2 weeks of lunches..) so will start the fat fast in 2 weeks then I hope to have a SARAH woooooosh!! LOL Love it!

4 days in a row.. I have drunking my water 40+ oz a day (then tea to make up the other 60 oz
I have hugged or gotten a hug of friendship and kindness every day!
I have eaten on plan (Made a flourless Choc desert for a treat at dinner at my parents - Ham and green beans)
Threw away old stuff .. but threw away.... Still have at least 1000 more things to look at! LOL

I hope everyone had a great Holiday and Sarah... Love the time off you have for yourself (to get the school worked out and your writing done! )

Easily.. I miss nuts too.... Less than a year ago I would never have thought of eating almonds.. now.. That is my treat!

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 05-28-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaskipandlaugh View Post
Lulu.. I am sorry that the fat fast did not work for you!.. I have too much stuff in my fridge (enough for 5 dinners and 2 weeks of lunches..) so will start the fat fast in 2 weeks
Yes, this "empty fridge" is part of why I went ahead w the fat fast over the weekend. Since I knew the family would be gone I had been eating down the fridge and there wasn't much in there that was going to go bad.

But I think to succeed at the fat fast I think I have a few tips :

- pick a couple of quiet days, not days when you're doing heavy exercise or running around a lot - in my opinion good timing of WHEN to do the fat fast is the most important factor
- drink lots and lots and lots of water/herbal tea/etc
- plan to eat at home the whole time
- Read through some of the posts/websites for ideas of fat fast meals and identify the stuff that you'll eat
- Have on hand the "meals" (small snacks really) you will eat, ideally pre-portioned for yourself (because when you are hungry and looking at one measly ounce of macadamia nuts you might not just eat one ounce!)
- it's more effective to do 3 days in a row than 3 days every other day, the body goes into deep ketosis after about a day, and then it's easier to stay there than to bounce in and out
- Expect a bit of rebound weight gain when you go back to normal eating (and expect to be extra hungry that first day)

I was incredibly hungry yesterday, in theory I could have done a 3rd day, but my hunger was distracting me and I had a higher priority to keep my brain sharp for writing, so I decided to eat. I do think 3 days is probably ideal for fat fast, but that third day is much harder for me.

One thing that's really nice about a fat fast is that you spend almost no time in the kitchen - so it's a clever strategy if you have a house full of guests eating carbs you could just concentrate on your own fat fast foods and let them eat on their side. Or I think it's a brilliant strategy when traveling, like flying - I did just a one-day fat fast when we went to Miami by packing a big bag of macadamias and not eating any of the food at the airport or on the plane - simple, easy, no-fuss, low-carb. Especially easy for me since we were traveling w 2 babies so I didn't have to clutter up my seat with the tray of stinky food that sits there for an hour and a half... I'll for sure do that again when I fly to the States this summer.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:36 AM   #14  
Enjoying the journey

Hi everyone - Checking in from the road!! Got to work out on a treadmill yesterday but there are no free weights where I am staying so no arms....and no squats...but the funny thing is the lady who gave me my pedicure asked if I was a runner!! HA!! Said no one ever to Lulu in her entire life!! ( and most of you know I don't run but I do walk a lot) Have to say I was stunned....guess all the elliptical this winter and walking his spring!! My legs are really lean if I could only get my muffin top to disappear!!! But I have read that there is truly no "spot" weight reduction...it just melts off where it's going to melt off!!

Sarah - Yahoo !!! Holy fat fast!! What a boost!!
Easily - Cleaning out clothes and possessions is awesome!! Makes your space so much nicer!! Time to do that at my house too!!
Sue - Looks like you have moved in the right direction!!! Yahoo!!

Best wishes for an on-plan day!!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #15  
Sue finding inner song

Sarah.. thank you for the tips (I have to earmark this thread!)... I bought some Macadamia nuts (Planters 6.25 oz for $8 at Walmart YIKES! They are expensive EASILY! WOW... I wish I lived in Hawaii! I have the cream cheese already... Thinking of doing it this weekend Sat/Sun - I hope 2 days will work.. I saw your chart in the other thread Sarah and saw that you lost 3 lbs + in 2 days.. so maybe!!!!

Throwing out stuff.. I am one of those who satisfies their life with something.... It used to be food.. and I would "collect" material for clothes (I have had to make my own for 35+ years) and quilts (have'nt done one for 2 years), beading, Yarn out the Kazoo now since I learned how to crochet last year, But my disease is being a Coloroholic! (I have a bunch of orchids too). I crave colors in my life (my clothes would make Isaac Mizrahi happy as I wear lots of colorful floral prints!) I think that the colors make me happy. Shot - walking into the paint chip section of the big box stores makes me smile... SOOOOOO Throwing things away is hard as buying them now is making me alittle happier... soooooooooooooooo .. this is a lesson I really need to learn.. That THINGS are not worth as much as I am! ouch!

I have been on plan (except 1/2 ciabatta roll last night sigh) eating
Drank alll my water and more for 5 days now
I have hugged someone everyday but yesterday (rats.. and I had a chance)
and the throwing...... well.. that is a work (mental) in progress

Next challenge