Originally Posted by wannaskipandlaugh
Lulu.. I am sorry that the fat fast did not work for you!.. I have too much stuff in my fridge (enough for 5 dinners and 2 weeks of lunches..) so will start the fat fast in 2 weeks
Yes, this "empty fridge" is part of why I went ahead w the fat fast over the weekend. Since I knew the family would be gone I had been eating down the fridge and there wasn't much in there that was going to go bad.
But I think to succeed at the fat fast I think I have a few tips :
- pick a couple of quiet days, not days when you're doing heavy exercise or running around a lot - in my opinion good timing of WHEN to do the fat fast is the most important f
- drink lots and lots and lots of water/herbal tea/etc
- plan to eat at home the whole time
- Read through some of the posts/websites for ideas of fat fast meals and identify the stuff that you'll eat
- Have on hand the "meals" (small snacks really) you will eat, ideally pre-portioned for yourself (because when you are hungry and looking at one measly ounce of macadamia nuts you might not just eat one ounce!)
- it's more effective to do 3 days in a row than 3 days every other day, the body goes into deep ketosis after about a day, and then it's easier to stay there than to bounce in and out
- Expect a bit of rebound weight gain when you go back to normal eating (and expect to be extra hungry that first day)
I was incredibly hungry yesterday, in theory I could have done a 3rd day, but my hunger was distracting me and I had a higher priority to keep my brain sharp for writing, so I decided to eat. I do think 3 days is probably ideal for fat fast, but that third day is much harder for me.
One thing that's really nice about a fat fast is that you spend almost no time in the kitchen - so it's a clever strategy if you have a house full of guests eating carbs you could just concentrate on your own fat fast foods and let them eat on their side. Or I think it's a brilliant strategy when traveling, like flying - I did just a one-day fat fast when we went to Miami by packing a big bag of macadamias and not eating any of the food at the airport or on the plane - simple, easy, no-fuss, low-carb. Especially easy for me since we were traveling w 2 babies so I didn't have to clutter up my seat with the tray of stinky food that sits there for an hour and a half... I'll for sure do that again when I fly to the States this summer.