Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Smile Today Is My 10 Year Atkins Anniversary!

It was 10 years ago today I picked up Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, read it and and decided it was time to change my life.
I was 42 years old and could barely walk up 2 steps without being totally out of breath. I was 245 lbs. and I knew I had to do something or I would just continue to get bigger & bigger and most importantly, unhealthier. My Dad is an insulin dependant diabetic with CHF I did not want to end up in that situation.
After reading Dr.Atkins book (a friend had lost 60 lbs. on it), I thought, I CAN do this! So, on 4/13/2004, I began Atkins Induction and I've never looked back. People always ask me if it was difficult (afterall I'm Italian and used to eat pasta). I haven't ever found Atkins to be difficult. For me, its been a lifestyle change. This is my way of eating. Sadly, there is a lot of misinformation out there about Atkins. People tend to believe Atkins is the all you can eat bacon, butter & red meat diet. It isn't. I eat plenty of non-starchy veggies & salads, chicken & fish. I do eat bacon and some red meat but, it isn't the main staple of the Atkins lifestyle.
While Atkins has worked for me, it isn't for everyone. The bottom line is, if you want to lose weight, you need to do your own research and choose a plan you are willing to do for life. Diets you go on & off of, don't work. You must make a total lifestyle change. Thats what I did 10 years ago and I'm so happy I did!
You CAN do this too!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-13-2014 at 08:50 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #2  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Kim... a Big time Congratulations to you on your 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY. WOW! I just think that what you have done is so wonderful and such a beacon to us all, who know that this is the way to eat and live our lives. I wish you many many many anniversaries to celebrate! Thank you for your encouraging words and thoughts. Thank you for being there for us all! and a TO YOU!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

congrats!
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #4  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Congrats JerseyGyrl!! Now I have be around long enough to see two of your anniversaries!! You are an inspiration!! I know each journey is different but can you remind us how long it took you to get to goal? I agree there are many misconceptions about Atkins and I stick to whole foods and no low carb substitutes - no bread or pasta ......and no rice or potatoes because I can't trust myself. My goal is a 34 jean...I'm an apple with a big waist...and I am working on the last of a muffin top right now!! You rock for your maintenance success!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #5  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Congratulations! You are helpful and considerate to all who have questions concerning the Atkins lifestyle. Here's to another ten years!
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/251/185

Height: 5'6

Congratulations!! You are truly an inspiration to all of us!
newme12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #7  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations; ten years is wonderful!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Thanks for sharing this, Kim. You are an inspiration to so many of us!!!
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu NH View Post
Congrats JerseyGyrl!! Now I have be around long enough to see two of your anniversaries!! You are an inspiration!! I know each journey is different but can you remind us how long it took you to get to goal? I agree there are many misconceptions about Atkins and I stick to whole foods and no low carb substitutes - no bread or pasta ......and no rice or potatoes because I can't trust myself. My goal is a 34 jean...I'm an apple with a big waist...and I am working on the last of a muffin top right now!! You rock for your maintenance success!!
Thank you Lulu for your kind words I truly appreciate them and everyone else's.
It took me a little over a year to reach my goal. Like you, I stay away from "white foods". I do have a sweet potato once a week. That has worked well for me.
I still remember when I tried on a size medium top for the first time and it FIT (I had been wearing 2X & 3X )
You're doing great Lulu!! Keep up the great work and before you know it the last of that muffin top will be gone!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Lost 47 lbsso far

Hey Jersey Girl,I dont post alot around here but I had to say Congrats and God blesss you. You are an inspiration and your words made a difference in my life when I started my atkins journey last september.
jenngold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenngold View Post
Hey Jersey Girl,I dont post alot around here but I had to say Congrats and God blesss you. You are an inspiration and your words made a difference in my life when I started my atkins journey last september.
Jenngold, thank you so much for your kind words. I truly appreciate them.
I'm so glad to hear you have chosen to do Atkins Follow the plan as written, get moderate exercise and you will reach your goal.
You CAN do this!!
All the best to you!
Old 04-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

JerseyGyrl!! What an accomplishment! And perfect timing for me to see this thread today, when I have re-committed to this lifestyle.
I saw that in your maintenance, you eat one sweet potato per week. But what has been your experience with beans? One low carb diet suggests a small helping of beans twice per day. Actually, it is called "slow carb diet".
Today it's chicken and salad and some scrambled eggs for me!
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #13  

I am brand new around here and am starting Atkins tomorrow! I needed this very inspirational post! Congratulations
fiestyfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Congratulations, Kim! Your success at weight loss, and even more importantly, maintenance is uber-impressive!!!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Lizzy View Post
JerseyGyrl!! What an accomplishment! And perfect timing for me to see this thread today, when I have re-committed to this lifestyle.
I saw that in your maintenance, you eat one sweet potato per week. But what has been your experience with beans? One low carb diet suggests a small helping of beans twice per day. Actually, it is called "slow carb diet".
Today it's chicken and salad and some scrambled eggs for me!
Hello OK Lizzy! Thank you for your kind words.

I am not familiar with the "slow carb diet" so I can't comment on eating a small helping of beans twice per day and its affects on weight loss/gain. The only beans I eat and have eaten since I began Atkins are green beans (with butter of course! ) Actually, I found when I would eat green veggies, the weight came off. On Atkins Induction, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming from veggies & salad on the acceptable foods list. When you move into Phase 2, the first thing you do is add 5 more carbs of veggies. That being said, Atkins clearly is not just bacon, butter & red meat even from the start.

I wish you success in your weight loss journey. Be consistant and you will reach your goal

All the best to you!