Lose 5 lbs Challenge #34 (newme12 won the last 2!)

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Quote: I think I'm losing, just quite slowly (like half a pound per week)
    -0.5 lb/week is -0.07 lb/day.

That's the trouble with small weight losses; without calculations you cannot see your daily loss.

Here's mythical weights over 3 days
    1, 170.2
    2, 169.0
    If on day 3 you weigh 170.1 then you're losing 0.05 lb/day, averaged over these 3 days. If it's 170.0 then it's 0.1 lb/day. If it's 170.2 you're not losing or gaining.
    I sure can't tell by looking at the numbers when the differences are this small but the calcs say what is happening and you'll know within two or three days what is happening.

The command syntax in my spreadsheet for the trendline or slope is
    =SLOPE(B1:B3,A1:A3)
    if the days are in cells A1 to A3 and the weights are in cells B1 to B3.

For only two days the slope is easy:
    (170.2 - 169)/(1 - 2) = 1.2/(-1) = -1.2 lbs.
    but you need several days to see the long term trend.
  • SW: 158.2
    CW: 153.2
    Goal: 135

Wannaskip, Thank you so much for your encouragement and support. I don't feel like this is a true celebration, as I gained so much weight. My clothes are so tight. But thank you!

Sarah, that is so exciting that you got a job in Paris, fell in love, got married and still live there! I'm impressed! Do you ever miss the States? Do you visit? .5 lb. is great! Better than going the other way. But seriously, congrats to you!
  • Quote: -0.5 lb/week is -0.07 lb/day.

That's the trouble with small weight losses; without calculations you cannot see your daily loss.

Here's mythical weights over 3 days
    1, 170.2
    2, 169.0
    If on day 3 you weigh 170.1 then you're losing 0.05 lb/day, averaged over these 3 days. If it's 170.0 then it's 0.1 lb/day. If it's 170.2 you're not losing or gaining.
    I sure can't tell by looking at the numbers when the differences are this small but the calcs say what is happening and you'll know within two or three days what is happening.

The command syntax in my spreadsheet for the trendline or slope is
    =SLOPE(B1:B3,A1:A3)
    if the days are in cells A1 to A3 and the weights are in cells B1 to B3.

For only two days the slope is easy:
    (170.2 - 169)/(1 - 2) = 1.2/(-1) = -1.2 lbs.
    but you need several days to see the long term trend.
    I have an app that does that for my iPhone! Luckily there are people like you to figure that stuff out for people like me! thanks!!

is the Terrible Trending Tuesday related to the weekend syndrome?

mara....snow? what's that? upper 80s today! My inside weather will be here soon when it's 110 though. Snowbirds and baseball fans will be gone soon

Tyla got it??? just sunk in......

AWESOME JOB TYLA
  • It looks like Tyla won this 5 pound challenge - Congrats Tyla. I'd like to join in if you guys are going to do another one.
  • Smith, thank you so much for the fantastic congrats. You made my night!!! I was feeling kinda blah until I read your post.

MsChris, thank you for the congrats. (I'm really not sure if I actually won.)I'm sort of new here, so I'm not sure how the challenges work and when they start again, but welcome!
  • Yes Tyla you won!! Congratulations!!
    I will see if I can start the new thread. Never done it before but I will try. If not, Sarah will be on later and will help us out.
  • Ok. Started the new thread but not sure how to link it...sorry!

Yes MsChris...please join us!
  • Quote:
    is the Terrible Trending Tuesday related to the weekend syndrome?
    Maybe, but there are all kinds of stressors are popping up.
    Weekends do break the routine and routine seems to be important with this project.

Yesterday I was just about fasting and this morning I'm back down to 166. The average over 39 days is now -0.89 lbs/week. Not as rapid as it could be but the day to day variation has gotten smaller. A near-fast for two weeks or so should improve my stats.

A tablespoon of oatmeal before bed seems to reliably prevent me from going to sleep while still feeling hungry.
  • NewMe, thank you for the congrats. I can't believe it, that I won.
  • Quote: 193.0 Mar 21
    192.2 Mar 22
    191.6 Mar 23
    192.2 Mar 24
    193.4 Mar 25
    I have you at +0.08 lbs/day.
    If your last reading was 193.0 you'd have zero gain & zero loss and the 0.4 lbs may be water weight variation, about a half pint.
    Can you gimme' another few days worth from before the 21st?
  • I hope this is my last attempt at a formula.

Calories in from food(CI) = RMR + calories lost to activity(CL) + body fat change (BFC)

The CI to maintain my weight = RMR + CL and any excess or deficit will go into changing my BF.

So, for me, RMR + CL = 2200 cals/day.
    Eating 2200/day gives
    2200 = 2200 + 0. No BF gain or loss.

If CI = 0 (fasting) then
    0 = 2200 + (-2200) equals a daily body fat loss of 2200/3500 = ~ 0.6 lb.

So it doesn't seem possible that I can lose 1.3 lbs/day but that's what I'm seeing so I have to conclude that 1.3- 0.6 = 0.7 lb of this is water.
    Maybe I am becoming dehydrated but I don't notice any symptoms. Maybe as I weigh less I need less water.
  • Wobbly - when you are burning fat instead of carbs like when doing low carb or fasting, doesn't your RMR go up? I read that your body has to work harder to burn fat for fuel than carbs, and therefore, more energy is expended.
  • Quote: Wobbly - when you are burning fat instead of carbs like when doing low carb or fasting, doesn't your RMR go up? I read that your body has to work harder to burn fat for fuel than carbs, and therefore, more energy is expended.
    Dunno'. I know physics but this is also biology.

BTW, I'm dropping 1.9 lbs/day somehow. If I stay on the wagon I'll soon be out of here.
  • Quote: I have you at +0.08 lbs/day.
    If your last reading was 193.0 you'd have zero gain & zero loss and the 0.4 lbs may be water weight variation, about a half pint.
    Can you gimme' another few days worth from before the 21st?
    I'd love another pair of eyes.

I have daily weights going back to Sept 16th - how can I share them with you?
  • Quote: I'd love another pair of eyes.

I have daily weights going back to Sept 16th - how can I share them with you?
    Post a list of day numbers and then beneath it post a list weights. Then I can cut and paste each into spreadsheet columns and do some stats.

E.g.

The number of days and the number of weights should be the same, 4 in the above example.

With as many samples as you have, I'd first just post all the weekly readings, 26 or so,

week number \/

and weight taken at the same point in each week.

If that doesn't show enough detail we can go to every two days.

I hope to soon post my graph, 40 days worth. It's quite a bumpy line.