Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #1  
Walk/Low Carb Away Pounds

S/C/G: 190/178.8/170

Height: 5'3-1/2"

Default OMG - I LOVE the pre-2002 Atkins WOE!

It isn't a goal or even a mini-goal but I'm super excited nonetheless. I weighed in this morning at 182! That means in one week I dropped 7 pounds using OWL! I don't weigh everyday because the scale fluctuates so much. Sometimes by an ounce or two every time I step on and off. Well, this morning I stepped off and on my scale 3 times a minute apart and got the exact same weight all three times. I love this woe.

Has anyone tried the Atkins microwave meals? These meals and pecans are the only two things outside of induction that I have eaten. The Beef Merlot is really delicious. I like the Swedish meatballs, but next time, I will make them myself - without the mushrooms or gravy. I absolutely love the chilli con carne. Although they say on the box that the meals are for all phases, it must apply to post 2002 Atkins. The chicken pot pie has carrots and the chilli con carne has capers (I think). I have the chicken broccoli alfredo and one other flavor to try that I haven't gotten to yet.

What are some of the things you are eating to lose on or off induction?
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 251/251/185

Height: 5'6

I eat the meals during my work week (I work 7 on, 7 off). The beef merlot is my favorite! I also like the chicken alfredo and the pot pie. I also eat the bars. A lot of folks are against them, but honestly, they keep me from eating things I really shouldn't eat! I get the ones that have the fewest sugar alcohols or if it is one with more, then I try to only eat half. I don't drink the shakes but I do use them as creamer for my coffee (about an ounce a day). Other than that I follow induction foods pretty stictly. Added nuts after 2 weeks. I do not get in 12 to 15 net carbs in veggies...more like 7-8 and thats eating veggies 3 times a day.

Congrats on your weight loss!
newme12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #3  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

I have also tried the beef Merlot and the Alfredo. I keep a couple of the meals in the freezer for emergency meals, like if what I am feeding everyone else isn't friendly for my WOE. I really liked the beef one. I don't eat them very often but I'd rather turn to an Atkins friend(lier) type frozen meal than eating something that is completely bad for me.

I don't do the bars, but I will occasionally have one of the chocolate royal shakes during the week-if missed breakfast or have to work early. I use them as tools, along with my "real" food to help make life easier.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #4  

Thanks Carol! I am still excited. I don't weigh again until next Tuesday, but I plan to eat the same things this week. I consider myself on OWL because I added pecans to my daily intake after 1 day of fasting and 3 days of strict induction. Pecans don't make me crave sweets and they don't stall me at all. I can eat up to 6 grams of net carbs in pecans and still stay in ketosis.

I agree with you Cyn on turning to Atkins friendlier products than eating something completely bad for you. One day last week I had major chocolate craving (due to TOM). It was SOOO tempting to eat a chocolate bar, but I took a magnesium supplement and made a whey protein shake. The only flavor I had was Vanilla, so I added unsweetened cocoa powder to a protein shake and skipped on the Splenda. Hit the spot and only 5 carbs for a 16 ounce shake.

I haven't ventured into the bars yet. I use 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream in my hazelnut coffee, but I still need half of a packet of Splenda to drink it. I work 4/3 overnight and need a caffeine boost about 1AM.

I was wrong about the chilli con carne - all of the ingredients are on induction, but the pot pie has carrots. Carrots aren't on my list of acceptable foods, so I thought it wasn't allowed. Do either of you know where it falls on the rungs to add them back into the diet?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #5  

I don't have the older books, but according to the one I have, they are on rung 9 and in phase 3. So pretty far up the ladder! There are 4.1 net carbs in 1/2 cup (steamed/cooked). I think I've eaten the pot pie about 3-4 times over 2 months. I try to only eat the meals 2-3 times a week on my work week, so 4-6 times a month. It's usually on the weekends when I work 12 hour shifts and don't have a lot of time to cook and didn't plan a head lol.

Last edited by newme12; 03-21-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #6  

Thanks Carol.

I am reading a book from 2002. It has Rung 8 as starchy vegetables and rung 9 as whole grains. I guess carrots is a starchy vegetable? I think I'm going to stay away from the pot pie for a few more weeks.

I weighed again today. I had a loss but not nearly as dramatic as last week. I'm not sure what I did wrong, because I didn't cheat. Anyway, I'm down to 179.4 - Almost 3 whole pounds.

I'm still loving this WOE.

Chrislyn
Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 AM   #7  

My first week I dropped 10.2 lbs and then 2.6 lbs the next week. Since then the losses have been anywhere from 0.4 to 4.6 lbs. It's normal to lose more the first week because you lose excess water, and it's normal for weight loss to slow down the longer you are on plan. You are doing great!!

Last edited by newme12; 03-26-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChris View Post
Thanks Carol.

I am reading a book from 2002. It has Rung 8 as starchy vegetables and rung 9 as whole grains. I guess carrots is a starchy vegetable? I think I'm going to stay away from the pot pie for a few more weeks.

I weighed again today. I had a loss but not nearly as dramatic as last week. I'm not sure what I did wrong, because I didn't cheat. Anyway, I'm down to 179.4 - Almost 3 whole pounds.

I'm still loving this WOE.

Chrislyn
I'm an adherent to the 2002 Atkins, with some different cycling for losing weight (it's difficult for my body now, so it requires a different approach). It really is a fantastic plan.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #9  
NeNe

S/C/G: 200/187/165

Height: 5'6"

I too mostly follow the strict Induction phase from 2002, but with a few changes that I have learned from experience don't inhibit my losses. For example, I do allow myself a sugar-free mint at bedtime as a chocolate at bedtime was a bad habit I established. I did the 2002 plan in 2006 with significant losses of 86 lbs in only 9 months. During that time, I did drink the early chocolate shakes as I was a Paramedic and often only had time for them as a quick breakfast in the ambulance while driving 80 plus miles an hour down the road to whomever needed me to take care of them. I also chewed quite a bit of sugar-free gum while at work to keep my mind off food and my breath fresh. (I find I get a very bad taste in my mouth and bad breath when my body is burning its own fat.) None of these affected my weight loss speed. Since beginning my plan return a couple of weeks ago, I have added the frozen meals and some other Atkins products. I exercise at the county heated therapy pool three mornings a week and often use the frozen meals for a quick lunch when I return home as it will be close to lunch time. I do get tired of salads and can't eat them daily without boredom. I also drink the shakes sometimes before going to the pool as I have nausea issues in the morning from chronic pain and meds so I can't always stand before the stove and cook those eggs without my tummy doing back flips and making me sick. I feel that my weight loss has been OK by doing this and the Ketone test strips remain in the large (80) color. I tried adding the Endulge chocolate peanut butter cups and M & M's at night to help with my chocolate habit, but my weight started heading back upwards and the Ketone stick turned less and less pink. It was then that I realized that they wouldn't work for me at this point. I tried some of the bars, but wasn't fond of the aftertaste. I ate the chili con carne with no negative impact on my weight loss if that helps any of you. DH and I grow strawberries hydroponically for the local farmer's market, and I have enjoyed the occasional delicious, sweet strawberry while picking them for the market. I believe that each of our bodies are different, and one has to find what works best for them. I got sick of eggs and salads from my past two successes with the Atkin's plan so it was necessary for me to find some other things that work just as well to help me adapt to the low carb way of eating once again.

Last edited by firegirl441; 04-06-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Bad grammar
firegirl441 is offline   Reply With Quote