Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/291/160

Default Starting induction

I remember my mom using Atkins and having great results when I was a kid, so here I am. I don't have a pretty little graphic so I thought I should introduce myself.

I've dieted since I was born I think. I am currently at 291. I've put the last 50 on in the last 3 months. Ugh….. My gynecologist gave me the what for a few weeks ago, so I knew I had to get serious. I do have PCOS, but my labs were all fine.

I am 3 days in to induction and doing fine. I miss sweets like the dickens, but I know that means that was my issue and I should just stick it out. In general I'm finding (besides intense sweet cravings!) I'm not that hungry. I have been really tired though! I went to bed at 7:30 one night, lol! I am still drinking diet soda, and I realize that may eventually be an issue, but for now I haven't given it up. One vice at a time.

I went grocery shopping and have stocked up on meats, eggs, cheese, and veggies. Here's hoping for a great week!
mrskim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

and all the best to you!!
I'm celebrating 10 years on Atkins in April When done correctly, it works!
You CAN do this!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #3  

Thank you Kim! Your pics are very inspiring. 10 years is amazing to hear! I'm glad to know this can work long term!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Welcome - yes, stick it out, almost everyone finds they adjust well to the foods you can eat, with lower hunger and fewer cravings after the first week.

Maybe you would like to join us on the "lose 5 pounds" thread or I bet there will be a new time-based challenge starting after Friday (current one is until Valentines day) - those are the areas of the low carb section that tend to get the most traffic...
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #5  
Back 2 Low CArb living

S/C/G: 220/210/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

MrsKim Welcome!!! Yes as the girls said. stick with it!! no cheating and things will be great. I am finally sailing along!! im down 9 lbs.. Once i tweaked it!!
Keep a good support team around you!!!
ames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #6  

I will join you on the Valentine's and 5# thread. Thank you both! I haven't lost the sweets cravings, but I'm plugging along and I've not cheated. This seems totally doable!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/220/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Welcome! Newbie too!

Hi, I'm a newbie too! I'm actually starting NEXT week on Februrary 23rd. This coming week is school break (week off) and my birthday is the 22nd so I'm giving myself a week to have whatever I want while cleaning out my cupboard of "bad" stuff and saying "goodbye" to my beloved carbs. My sugar tested at 112 a year ago and then at 111 this past fall. My doc said it's looking like "pre-diabetes". My grandmother and father both became diabetic around age 60 and it looks like I'm already heading that way at almost 43. I've gained about 30lbs in the last year and it just continues to climb EVEN when watching what I eat. But I've never tried the low-carb way, I was a WW user for a while years ago. It worked, but I was also not borderline diabetic then. I'm hoping this will be a lifestyle change. I'm also hoping that I WILL be able to enjoy the occasional plate of pasta and/or piece of birthday cake at a party eventually. I wish you luck and will be joining you on induction in a week! My husband is doing it too.
cattwoman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattwoman222 View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie too! I'm actually starting NEXT week on Februrary 23rd. This coming week is school break (week off) and my birthday is the 22nd so I'm giving myself a week to have whatever I want while cleaning out my cupboard of "bad" stuff and saying "goodbye" to my beloved carbs. My sugar tested at 112 a year ago and then at 111 this past fall. My doc said it's looking like "pre-diabetes". My grandmother and father both became diabetic around age 60 and it looks like I'm already heading that way at almost 43. I've gained about 30lbs in the last year and it just continues to climb EVEN when watching what I eat. But I've never tried the low-carb way, I was a WW user for a while years ago. It worked, but I was also not borderline diabetic then. I'm hoping this will be a lifestyle change. I'm also hoping that I WILL be able to enjoy the occasional plate of pasta and/or piece of birthday cake at a party eventually. I wish you luck and will be joining you on induction in a week! My husband is doing it too.
Good Luck Cattwoman! You can totally do this!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome, Mrskim. 50 pounds in 3 months seems like a lot. But if you know what it was due to and you really haven't had it that long, that part shouldn't take too long to get it off. Of course, that's just when it will get REALLY hard.

My personal feeling is that no one should be drinking diet soda, but that's easy for me to say because I don't like it anyway and I didn't have that much of a regular soda habit. But still, water is so much better. Water is one of the few things that pretty much everyone agrees on no matter what WOE. And it used to be so hard for me to even get half down, but now I go over the 64 recommendation every day.

I sort of went cold turkey on all sugar, grains, and starchy veg and that's worked for me. I only felt bingey once or twice and stuck it out, and have had a piece of really good bread here and a cookie there but not many. And then I always went back on plan the next day or next meal. Sure, I know I am still capable of eating half a package of cookies at one sitting but, at least for right now, I can talk myself out of it.

I have had only one meal that had noodles (that was my really carby day). I have not had any traditional pasta dishes yet. I think they scare me. I could put away some pasta before and never had any protein with it. I also have not had any pizza. We didn't really eat that much anyway so that's why I don't miss it; but, again, I would never eat less than 4 slices generally which never occurred to me was too much. So when I do have pizza, it will be one slice with a big salad to go with it.

Last edited by Mad Donnelly; 02-16-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote