Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #1  

Default rotisserie chicken

I am not on Atkins but have been thinking about it. I do have a question.... can you use Rotisserie chicken already made from the grocery store? The diet I am currently on you cannot. I have to make my own chicken breasts with no oil or butter and no salt. Just seasonings. I am a full time working mom and sometimes Rotisserie is a life saver. Just curious.... Thanks!

Last edited by clarissairene; 01-15-2014 at 02:42 PM.
clarissairene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm not currently on Atkins, but IIRC, it should only matter if there are added carbs. Some rotisserie chicken sauces will contain sweeteners, like BBQ sauce. But even then, I suspect you would be fine if you took off the skin. If there are carbs, you will have to count them, and at least in the early phases, you will want to be very careful with that.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #3  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

I say pick the lesser of two evils! If using a rotisserie chicken keeps you closer to on plan then go for it! On this journey, you are also evaluating choices that will work everyday for you. (For me it's about portions so I might eat more than I planned!)
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I agree with Lulu. Do whatever you need to do to make the diet liveable and workable for you right now.

With time, you might need or want to fine-tune and find hidden carbs (Many rotisserie chickens are actually marinated in a sugar-salt-water solution before cooking) - but I'd consider that for the fine-tuning phase, and just get started. When I started low carb in 2009 I was traveling a ton for work (over 80%) and just couldn't imagine doing it without nuts, so I allowed myself nuts from the beginning. It was what I needed to be able to face starting. With time I found the foods I could eat on the road, and reliance on nuts dwindled. (I eat very low carb quite like Atkins induction, but don't consider myself "Atkins" though - I'm someone who believes you have to make a diet fit you, not make yourself fit a diet.)
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #5  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

I too think like Sarahinparis..... Do what you can do to make the eating work. I do eat Rotisserie Chicken too sometimes when I want a treat (Oh Buffalo added hot sauce to it) but they are very salty! so expect to add some water when you eat it. But just like any plan you are following (Atkins ) you have to make it work for you (I too eat almonds occassionally and am trying to stay under 25 carbs a day).. Adding things will slow weight loss down alittle.. but you can experiment when you get to the point when you want to slow the loss down alittle.

This is a great plan for eating for the rest of your life. I am looking forward to seeing your ticker and the slide to the right (lower weight!) on your journey!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote