Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #1  
Growing My Wings

S/C/G: 350/334/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Protein Shake

My dietician told me I have to follow an Atkins type plan to drop 40-50lbs. She said I should add a high protein low carb morning shake in so I searched and searched the one that I had in the house already is about 16gram carbs.

I think I have to maintain about 115grams of carbs a day.

I bought one of those Atkins shakes to see because its way lower in carbs and premade easy enough OMG YACKY YACKY YACKY!!!

I think I'll take the chances and drink my higher carb protein shake

Any other shake recommendations? that are totally yack tastic and low in carbs high in proteins?
IvoryAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

My daughter's doctor recommends AdvantEDGEŽ Carb Control™ Ready-to-Drink - http://eas.com/product/advantedge-ca...ready-to-drink. My daughter likes them and I can tolerate them.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I second Cheryl's suggestion. I haven't had them in several years but they were very good.

I've heard Muscle Milk light is good as well but I don't know the carb or protein count on that.

Good luck!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I make my own using microfiltered (also cald cold filtered, cold-processed, or undenatured) whey protein isolate. Syntrax medical is one better known brand.

One 30g scoop comtains

110 calories
0 g fat
0-1g carb
27g protein

My favorite shake to make

1 cup frozen strawberries or 3/4 cup other frozen berries (do not thaw)
1 scoop undenatured whey protein isolate
3/4 - 1 cup almond milk (I look for a brand with 40-60 calories per cup)
1/2 of a dark chocolate Dove Promise or 1/2 tbs mini chocolaye chips
Zero calorie sweetener optional

About 210 calories (190 without the chocolate)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #5  
Growing My Wings

S/C/G: 350/334/150

Height: 5'3"

I'll check the AdvantEdge test it see if its tasty.

Syntrax can you buy that? I will have to find some and try that also long term I know I'll need it going forward I just soon find one that works now.
IvoryAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryAngel View Post
I'll check the AdvantEdge test it see if its tasty.

Syntrax can you buy that? I will have to find some and try that also long term I know I'll need it going forward I just soon find one that works now.

Syntrax is just one brand. It's available online and in some health food and vitamin shops. There are dozens of brands though (flavored and unflavored) The brand isn't as important.

You can try any whey protein isolate, but the advantage of the undenatured whey protein isolate is the vastly superior flavor and texture and solubility. The flavor is sweeter and milder than other whey proreins, closer to fresh milk. And it dissolves quickly, easily and completely, even in water.

When milk or whey is heated, the protein unravel (or denature). That means they break down into the constituent amino acids. There's nothing wrong with this nutritionally, but the flavor is stronger and it's nearly impossible to get the denatured protein powders to dissolve completely in any liquid. As a result, the texture can be chalky or lumpy.

It's not too hard to find undenatured, unflavored whey as long as you know the most common names it can go by

Undenatured
Microfiltered
Cold-filtered
Cold-processed

The following terms might also be used, but these aren't quite as reliable (the whey might or might not be cold-filtered)

Quick-dissolving
Easy dissolving
Dissolves completely even in water

Some brands will advertise a unique or secret patented filtering or processing that makes their product taste better and dissolve better than other national brands. The process they're describing isn't really new, secret, or unique.

If you don't mind the flavor and texture of conventional unflavored (or flavored) whey protein, you can use them instead, but finding low carb options is sometimes tricky. Once you've tried cold-filtered whey protein though, you won't ever want to use anything else.

It dissolves so smoothly, with such a mild flavor, you can even stir it into milk, yogurt, soups, coffee, sugar free hot cocoa..... It's hardly noticeable in tomato soup, for example.

When adding it to hot liquids, you just have to let it cool abit (if the liquid is cool enough to eat without burning your mouth, it's cool enough to stir in theundenatured whey protein isolate.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote