Cheater

• Can we talk cheats? What's your guilty or secret that you're willing to share? I'll start...

I have a vodka/soda/twist of lemon every now and then. No carbs but still a no-no. It keeps me sane and I'm still losing.
  • Because its an "allowed" food on Atkins its not technically a "cheat or guilty pleasure".....but, that being said, I have 0 control when it comes to cream cheese I used to buy it telling myself in the store that I would only eat 1 or 2 ozs. a day. I won't say how many times I told myself that, got it home, started off well....but....within an hour or so, ate the entire 8 oz pkg scraping the foil wrapper with a knife to get every last bit!! Needless to say, it stalled my weight loss. I finally realized the only way to avoid this, since it was an obvious issue for me, was to not buy it anymore. Lo and behold when I stopped eating it, the scale began moving again!!!
    I'm not saying I'm perfect and have never eaten something I shouldn't. I'm just trying to say that it wasn't worth it to me. It was a habit I had to break. I'm not saying it was easy, in fact, there are times I still think about it....but....its a trigger food for me and I must back away and stay away! Now greek yogurt is another story! I can eat that everyday and it never compromised my weight loss or caused me to gain. So, I guess it qualifies as my "guilty pleasure".
  • I think I've finally realized (at least I hope the realization is permanent) that I cannot intentionally practice moderation when it comes to off-pan foods. There are several plans I can use to lose, but I can't intentionally plan for off-plan cheats (the unplanned ones do enough damage).

I don't beat myself for slips, but planning cheats (for me) is a bit like planning to fall and possibly break my leg. Nothing to hate on myself over, but nothing to plan for, either.

I'm trying to focus on perfectly on-plan indulgences (whatever my plan currently is) - foods I consider decadent, because of flavor and/or price.

For example, a favorite splurge for me is, Mexican restaurant style shrimp cocktail (without the saltines) - shrimp, salsa ( fresh or bottled such as Pace picante sauce or fresh pico de gallo), sliced green onion, fresh cilantro (if not using pico de gallo), chopped or diced avocado, and a squeeze of lime (preferably fresh, but bottled is ok in a pinch).

You do have to read the salsa ingredients carefully, but there are plenty of Atkins legal options.

You will have to be careful with the salsa as many have added sugar. Also, I believe that avocado and tomato are limited (at least during induction).
  • Since I'm just starting my weight loss journey again, I find it difficult to cut soda out of my diet! I'm obsessed with Coke Zero and Diet Coke and I crave it so much, I find myself drinking it without even realizing it. It's horrible, but oh so good!
  • Quote: Since I'm just starting my weight loss journey again, I find it difficult to cut soda out of my diet! I'm obsessed with Coke Zero and Diet Coke and I crave it so much, I find myself drinking it without even realizing it. It's horrible, but oh so good!
    I'm still drinking diet soda. I only let myself have it at night though. I drink tea and water all day long. Then about 7:00 I let myself have soda. I like diet sierra mist. My thinking is if you can't have a little of some things you love, you'll never stick with it. Plus, I'm still losing.
  • My guilty pleasures are fries. My lunch buddy at work who can eat whatever he wants always orders the fries, and sometimes when he turns his back I steal a few from him. It's the worst kept secret and he totally knows I am going to swipe a few.
  • Quote:
    I have a vodka/soda/twist of lemon every now and then. No carbs but still a no-no. It keeps me sane and I'm still losing.
    Mine too! I love the lemon sorbet vodka with diet cranberry lemonade...also whip cream vodka with diet root beer is noting to sneeze at either! They are just a little more carb friendly then my traditional margaritas. A good already mixed drink is 95 calorie mojitos, stay away from the skinny girl brand, they taste so chemically! YICK!