Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Getting Myself Psyched Up

I have been here for the past few days, reading and posting occasionally. I finally dug out my Atkins book. First I went to the section about Induction and read about the allowed foods. Then I paged through and read a couple sections that were of interest to me. Now I have started at the beginning of the book and am going to read it all, straight through.

I did Atkins years ago. I kept my weight off for 10 years with it. My first Atkins book actually fell apart from wear. It was easy to do when I lived alone. When I met my husband, whom I have lovingly named "Mr Potato Head" my low carb lifestyle gradually went by the wayside and I ended up 200+ pounds. This is not going to go over well with him. He doesn't understand it, and he is one of those people who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. He eats tons of carbs,,,,potatoes, sweets, and salty snacks. He always tells me "You will never get fat eating potatoes." My reply is always "No, YOU will never get fat eating potatoes. I will end up looking like a potato, and I do!" LOL

At this point, I am removing starchy carbs from my diet while I read the book, which might take a week to get through the whole thing, then I plan on officially starting Induction. This should ease my husband into the fact that I am not going to be eating bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream etc. I can cook dinner and make potatoes for him and omit them for me. And if we eat out, we can each make our own choices. But I know I am going to hear how bad this is for my health, and I am just going to have to be strong and block him out. Being a type 2 diabetic, I expect this to do wonders for my blood sugar readings.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I have been here for the past few days, reading and posting occasionally. I finally dug out my Atkins book. First I went to the section about Induction and read about the allowed foods. Then I paged through and read a couple sections that were of interest to me. Now I have started at the beginning of the book and am going to read it all, straight through.

I did Atkins years ago. I kept my weight off for 10 years with it. My first Atkins book actually fell apart from wear. It was easy to do when I lived alone. When I met my husband, whom I have lovingly named "Mr Potato Head" my low carb lifestyle gradually went by the wayside and I ended up 200+ pounds. This is not going to go over well with him. He doesn't understand it, and he is one of those people who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. He eats tons of carbs,,,,potatoes, sweets, and salty snacks. He always tells me "You will never get fat eating potatoes." My reply is always "No, YOU will never get fat eating potatoes. I will end up looking like a potato, and I do!" LOL

At this point, I am removing starchy carbs from my diet while I read the book, which might take a week to get through the whole thing, then I plan on officially starting Induction. This should ease my husband into the fact that I am not going to be eating bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream etc. I can cook dinner and make potatoes for him and omit them for me. And if we eat out, we can each make our own choices. But I know I am going to hear how bad this is for my health, and I am just going to have to be strong and block him out. Being a type 2 diabetic, I expect this to do wonders for my blood sugar readings.
to you for returning to Atkins!! Having done it years ago and keeping the weight off for 10 years, you know it works! And I am very happy to hear you won't be officially starting Induction until you have read the book!! That is so important and unfortunately, many people attempt to do Atkins without ever cracking the book, depending on websites and worse yet, hearsay from others who attempted to "do Atkins" and sadly, did it incorrectly and then quit after a week or 2 because "it didn't work for them."

As for your husband, it sounds like he is uneducated when it comes to Atkins and I am sure that his attitude causes you frustration. Be patient with him, but....stick to your guns and don't allow him and his "You will never get fat eating potatoes" thinking derail you. I remember when I first started Atkins (9+ years ago now), I got all the negative comments of how bad it was for my health, all that fat, blah, blah, blah. Funny how it all changed when those same people saw me losing the weight & keeping it off! It may take time but, your husband will come around. Once he realizes you are committed to this no matter what, he will accept it and encourage you

Remember, you are doing this for YOU and for your health. No one can do this for you. Initially it may seem difficult but, as you see results, you will be motivated to continue. Seeing your diabetes under control will be a wonderful reward!

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-09-2013 at 10:22 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

The first time I lost weight I did not use Atkins. I knew nothing about dieting. Didn't know a carb from a protein. I ate everything, but just cut back on my portions and didn't eat between meals or after dinner. I guess back then my body wasn't so out of whack and it worked for me. I only had 25 lbs to lose back then. When the weight started to creep back on I discovered Atkins and used that from then on, to maintain the weight I had lost on the conventional low calorie diet.

My husband has no knowledge of nutrition at all. He eats what tastes good to him. That's it. As a kid, he grew up having coffee with lots of sugar and donuts for breakfast before going off to school! He gets so concerned because I eat eggs every day. He says he doesn't eat eggs, but he eats commercial baked good daily, which contain eggs, and so many other unhealthy ingredients, many of which can't be pronounced. But as long as he isn't fat or sick, he figures it's OK. I don't tell him to quit eating that crap, so I would like him to return the favor.

When we first started dating he said "You are thin...you can eat anything." Boy, did I show him! LOL
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote