3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters > Atkins

Fat really IS the key!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
13 pds in 7 days!
 
franciejones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80

S/C/G: 228/215/145

Height: 5'5" WOE Atkins

Default Fat really IS the key!

My last go round with Atkins..I could NOT manage to get it through my thick skull that is was really fat that was key. I DID read the book...but I also followed forum chatter and my protein levels were way too high and were knocking me out of ketosis. I have been staying above 75% fat each day...and WOW! It really is the magic of this way of eating. I feel good. I have energy..that one really never happened before. Last go round I was so crabby and unhappy and exhausted. Everyone was talking about energy..I could not understand what was wrong with me! Now I know. Too much protein.

Another thing that is remarkable..is my calorie intake. My last go round I was getting very high calories. This time..I am getting HALF of what I did before. I average around 1100-1300 per day WITHOUT trying! The fat content is so satiating that it is effortless. I am not saying I COUNT calories...but I use Fitday to track my percentages just to be certain..and of course the calories are calculated. I am shocked every single day. Not because I eat a lot...but because of WHAT I am eating.

Anyway...I notice this section of the forum is pretty quiet and I felt like sharing. I hope someone is helped from this.
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 2,916

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default

Yup, you are correct, fat is the key. Thats why I always encourage people to read the book before they attempt this plan because it is critical to understand, Atkins is a high fat, moderate protein program. Most people don't know that.
Glad to hear its working for you!
__________________
It's ATKINS...Not Adkins!

My Silence Could Mean You Are Not Worth The Argument.

If You Want Something You Never Had...You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.






Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004


Before & After Pics: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../Kimatlake.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1/IMG_0403.jpg
JerseyGyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
13 pds in 7 days!
 
franciejones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 80

S/C/G: 228/215/145

Height: 5'5" WOE Atkins

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Yup, you are correct, fat is the key. Thats why I always encourage people to read the book before they attempt this plan because it is critical to understand, Atkins is a high fat, moderate protein program. Most people don't know that.
Glad to hear its working for you!
Thanks JerseyGyrl! It really is contrary to all of my previous programming. Even though I had read the book...my previous knowledge was fighting me every step of the way! It is funny how hard it is for us to let go of what we think we know sometimes.

I read "high fat"...but insisted that it was high protein in my own mind! Too funny
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
jodi73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 100

S/C/G: 227.8/160/145

Height: 5'3"

Default

@franciejones- what do you mean by staying above 75% fat?
jodi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
TAG! you're it!
 
ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,348

S/C/G: 260/219/180

Height: 5'3"

Default

every time I hear someone say Atkins or low carb diets are high protein diets I want to throat punch them. Lol! I actually called one our nurses ignorant in front of a patient last year because she made that statement, got written up for it but I got my point across.
__________________
*insert awesome signature here*
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 2,916

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
every time I hear someone say Atkins or low carb diets are high protein diets I want to throat punch them. Lol! I actually called one our nurses ignorant in front of a patient last year because she made that statement, got written up for it but I got my point across.
Ghost, I definitely agree!! If people were as educated about low carb as they think they are about low fat....the world would be a much happier, not to mention much healthier, thinner place!
__________________
It's ATKINS...Not Adkins!

My Silence Could Mean You Are Not Worth The Argument.

If You Want Something You Never Had...You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.






Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004


Before & After Pics: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../Kimatlake.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1/IMG_0403.jpg
JerseyGyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 113

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Default

Hi! I believe fat really is the key. Can you post some of your daily meals? And how to you get your high fats in? Thanks!!
Oriana
__________________
"The virtue lies in the struggle, not in the prize."
ovwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
strugglingover40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 14

S/C/G: 215/215/175

Height: 5'4"

Default

I would also like to see a sample of a menu, I read the book and my programming says high protein also. Thanks for the food for thought I will be looking into this....I missed something somewhere.......
__________________
strugglingover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Cindy
 
cldwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North East US
Posts: 241

Height: 5' 8"

Default

I've incorporated virgin/organic coconut oil into my diet. Lots of people swear by Kerrygold (sp?) butter too. Putting in/on everything.
__________________
cldwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 2,916

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglingover40 View Post
I would also like to see a sample of a menu, I read the book and my programming says high protein also. Thanks for the food for thought I will be looking into this....I missed something somewhere.......
I'm curious as to which book you've read. Atkins is a high fat, moderate protein plan.
During Induction you should be eating no more than 20 net carbs per day. Net carbs are total carbs minus dietary fiber. Of those 20 net carbs, 12-15 should be coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list.
A sample menu during Induction would look like this:
Breakfast: Eggs (preferably cooked in butter or fat) & bacon. Cheese can be added if you like.
Lunch: Salad with some type of protein (grilled chicken, steak, salmon etc.), I would also add some veggies to the salad such as broccoli, green beans, zucchini, cucumber etc. Full fat salad dressing ( no more than 2 carbs per serving)
Dinner: Beef, fish, chicken or pork, a salad with full fat dressing, green veggie with butter or cheese
Snacks: String cheese, hard boiled egg, pepperoni (be mindful of sodium), pork rinds.
I hope this helps
__________________
It's ATKINS...Not Adkins!

My Silence Could Mean You Are Not Worth The Argument.

If You Want Something You Never Had...You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.






Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004


Before & After Pics: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../Kimatlake.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1/IMG_0403.jpg
JerseyGyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 2,916

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovwgirl View Post
Hi! I believe fat really is the key. Can you post some of your daily meals? And how to you get your high fats in? Thanks!!
Oriana
Doing Atkins you should be eating eggs, fattier cuts of meats, fatty fish like salmon, butter, avacado, full fat cheeses, full fat salad dressings, full fat mayo. These are ways you can add fat into your eating
__________________
It's ATKINS...Not Adkins!

My Silence Could Mean You Are Not Worth The Argument.

If You Want Something You Never Had...You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.






Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004


Before & After Pics: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../Kimatlake.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1/IMG_0403.jpg
JerseyGyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
Struggling Dieter
 
Wannabehealthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SW PA
Posts: 2,304

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Doing Atkins you should be eating eggs, fattier cuts of meats, fatty fish like salmon, butter, avacado, full fat cheeses, full fat salad dressings, full fat mayo. These are ways you can add fat into your eating
Jerseygyrl, I saw your before/after pics and your transformation is amazing! You are very informed on the Atkins Plan....like a walking, talking Atkins book! LOL

I have a bit of an issue with fat because I have a hiatal hernia and fat is one of the things that sets it off. But I will do trial and error to see what I can handle. I used to use PAM for cooking my eggs and recently started using butter, and the flavor is so good! That is one change I will really like. I always like cheese in my salads and could never use low fat or fat free dressing or mayo, so that won't change. I can go back to eating cream cheese, which I have been avoiding. I can eat the crispy skin on my roasted chicken. I am trying to focus on the good things I will be eating instead of the foods I will have to avoid.
__________________
Carol Sue


Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Larry's Angel
 
JerseyGyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!
Posts: 2,916

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Jerseygyrl, I saw your before/after pics and your transformation is amazing! You are very informed on the Atkins Plan....like a walking, talking Atkins book! LOL

I have a bit of an issue with fat because I have a hiatal hernia and fat is one of the things that sets it off. But I will do trial and error to see what I can handle. I used to use PAM for cooking my eggs and recently started using butter, and the flavor is so good! That is one change I will really like. I always like cheese in my salads and could never use low fat or fat free dressing or mayo, so that won't change. I can go back to eating cream cheese, which I have been avoiding. I can eat the crispy skin on my roasted chicken. I am trying to focus on the good things I will be eating instead of the foods I will have to avoid.
Thank you for your sweet compliments. I am passionate about Atkins because it has worked so well for me and enjoy helping others wanting to join the Atkins bandwagon!
If I can help you or anyone in any way with Atkins, I am happy to give my experiences & opinions. I truly believe in this plan!!
You CAN do this!!
All the best to you!!!
__________________
It's ATKINS...Not Adkins!

My Silence Could Mean You Are Not Worth The Argument.

If You Want Something You Never Had...You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.






Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004


Before & After Pics: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../Kimatlake.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1/IMG_0403.jpg

Last edited by JerseyGyrl : 07-09-2013 at 10:33 AM.
JerseyGyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Struggling Dieter
 
Wannabehealthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SW PA
Posts: 2,304

Default

Thanks Kim. I will definately be here with questions.
__________________
Carol Sue


Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
Renaissance Woman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2,591

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciejones View Post
My last go round with Atkins..I could NOT manage to get it through my thick skull that is was really fat that was key. I DID read the book...but I also followed forum chatter and my protein levels were way too high and were knocking me out of ketosis. I have been staying above 75% fat each day...and WOW! It really is the magic of this way of eating. I feel good. I have energy..that one really never happened before. Last go round I was so crabby and unhappy and exhausted. Everyone was talking about energy..I could not understand what was wrong with me! Now I know. Too much protein.

Another thing that is remarkable..is my calorie intake. My last go round I was getting very high calories. This time..I am getting HALF of what I did before. I average around 1100-1300 per day WITHOUT trying! The fat content is so satiating that it is effortless. I am not saying I COUNT calories...but I use Fitday to track my percentages just to be certain..and of course the calories are calculated. I am shocked every single day. Not because I eat a lot...but because of WHAT I am eating.

Anyway...I notice this section of the forum is pretty quiet and I felt like sharing. I hope someone is helped from this.
I've had a problem with wrapping my brain around the fat too. Not that I am fat averse. I love it! I just had breakfast of Niman Ranch bacon and chard/spinach blend sautéed in bacon fat with a little heavy cream added. And an iced coffee with heavy cream. Lovely breakfast! Totally satisfying. But even though I ate a good bit of vegetables, I'm freaking a little about my fat content. 85% of my breakfast was fat. I know that later today I'll eat more protein, lots of veggies and less fat than I just ate and it'll all balance out. And I'm losing weight eating like this. I just freak a little for a few minutes about the fat content.

At least I source all my fats from really healthy sources.
__________________
Georgia



geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low fat eating is the way!! t-girl General Diet Plans and Questions 172 05-20-2002 11:26 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2