Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 241/179/165

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up Starting Atkins Tomorrow

I think I am finally ready to start. I have been reading and researching all different ways to just get started to a healthier lifestyle. I tried this before in the past but I was in my 20s, so it seemed much easier. After 3 children and now in my 30s, nothing seems to work. But after looking at different lifestyle changes, I think Atkins fits closest to my way of eating. So her goes nothing....
rasta4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #2  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Welcome rasta4life!! All I can say is it gets better!!! For me the first few weeks always seem the most trying and then Atkins/low carb just becomes second nature!! This forum is so helpful for support!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Whether beginning Atkins for the first time or re-starting Atkins after a long period of time, reading the book ( Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions ) before attempting the plan is critical. Its of the utmost importance to make sure you know exactly how & why, when done correctly, Atkins works.
I've been on Atkins for 9+ years now, started it in my early 40's. The best advice I can give you is to make this a lifestyle change, don't think of it as a "diet". It may seem overwhelming at first but, in no time it will become 2nd nature.
You CAN do this!!
All the best to you!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-13-2013 at 06:36 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #4  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Rasta !!

and... Here goes everything! You are starting to get healthier and gain control over your life too! Way to Go! Come join our challenges, they are great motivators too. We are here to listen, encourage and help you on your way as we do each other! Welcome!!1
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #5  
not looking back

S/C/G: 196/150

Height: 5'7

You can do this!!

from one newbie to another
smith1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #6  
Cindy

Height: 5' 8"

Yay for you! I always say, the hardest part is starting (at least for me). I just restarted and it seems like there are a few others in the same boat. I'm here for support anytime! Good luck.
cldwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/179/165

Height: 5'5

Thanks everyone! Today was ok. Even though I don't eat bread daily, seems like every body was eating it a work and it smelled like a fresh baked bakery. I know mind over matter... Here is what I ate today:

breakfast - 1 boiled egg, 3 pieces of turkey bacon, decaffeinated coffee
lunch- salad w/ egg, cucumber, balsamic dressing
dinner- salmon burger cooked in olive oil and salad w/ lite Italian

And 8-10 glasses of water
rasta4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #8  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Good way to start the 1st day and the food sounded like it tasted good!!! Yeah for you!!!!
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #9  
Cindy

Height: 5' 8"

Rasta-- work is the worst for sabotage. My last job they brought pizza in at least once a week, not to mention the never-emptying candy bowl and cakes, etc. it was horrible! Not only did they supply all of that, they teased you if you didn't eat. Now, at my new job, they are all skinny, fit, health and exercise fanatics. Polar opposite. It's been a good motivator but also makes me feel like an ogre.
cldwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by cldwv View Post
My last job they brought pizza in at least once a week, not to mention the never-emptying candy bowl and cakes, etc. it was horrible! Not only did they supply all of that, they teased you if you didn't eat. Now, at my new job, they are all skinny, fit, health and exercise fanatics. Polar opposite. It's been a good motivator but also makes me feel like an ogre.
I'm not sure which is worse, the office that is laden with candy & cake....or....the one full of "health & exercise fanatics". Thankfully, I work in a very small office (myself, 2 other ladies and my boss) and yes, there are bowls of candy and often doughnuts & coffee cake. I got plenty of funny looks and un-understanding comments in the beginning for not partaking in these evil things....but....when these same people who were giving me the looks & making the comments saw me getting smaller. they stopped commenting. The same goes for not drinking soda's & coffee....those comments stopped too.
The "health & exercise fanatics" sadly, most often, do not agree with the Atkins lifestyle....or....they think they don't. They think all of us people on Atkins live on red meat, butter & bacon all day! When they see me eating a salad full of veggies for lunch, they look dumbfounded and ask "I thought you were doing Atkins???"
To put it bluntly (hey, I'm from Jersey, we're blunt ), both case boil down to ignorance. People aren't educated about Atkins. I just keep eating the way I eat and let the results speak for themselves

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-14-2013 at 10:51 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote