3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   new to atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/279583-new-atkins.html)

sweetandspicy 04-12-2013 09:51 AM

new to atkins

Good Morning.

I have been on every diet known to man. I have had some success on many and about 3 years ago lost 60 pounds. I have managed to but back on 30 due to divorce,bad food choices and a disc in my lower back that has limited my mobility for the past 6 months.

I decided to go with atkins because i need a jump start. I have always done well with instant gratification and if i can loose some weight i think i will be able to sick with it.

I did atkins about 15 years ago, right after my first pregnancy and the weight melted off. Last fall i tried the "new Atkins" and lost maybe a pound or two I followed exactly but it promoted the addition of atkins bars/shakes.

When i went shopping last weekend i bought some bars and shakes but after reading all the post have found the older method seems to work best.

I did eat a bar on the first day but have not since. I did also use some crystal light but i have deciced to stop that too.

I have been eating sugar free jello, is that bad?

i have a major sweet tooth and that is the only craving i have had, i have not missed the carbs just the sweet taste and i am hoping that stops soon too.

any advice would be appreciated!!!:)

Thanks!!:carrot:

JerseyGyrl 04-12-2013 10:16 AM

:welcome2:
Glad to hear you are coming back to Atkins! Tomorrow is my "Atkinsversary"....9 years! Can't believe its already 9 years!
My advice to you is read the book BEFORE you attempt doing the plan. It is critical to educate yourself about exactly how & why this plan works when its done correctly. Sadly, so many people say they are doing Atkins....but....they've never cracked the book and are doing it incorrectly. They become frustrated and quit and say "Oh yeah, I did Atkins but, that didn't work for me". So yeah, reading the book is very important. I recommend Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior additons because those are the books Dr. Atkins himself wrote.
Stay away from the bars & the crystal light. While the bars are "ok" in an emergency, I wouldn't recommend eating them everyday as they really weren't designed for that purpose.
As for the sugar free jello, most are made with aspartame which is pretty much a no no. I would suggest making your own with Splenda.
You can find some Induction friendly recipes here (desserts included). The ones appropriate for Induction are marked with a *
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
You CAN do this!!!!
All the best to you!!:hug:

TripSwitch 04-12-2013 10:30 AM

Do you have a copy of one Dr. Atkins books? I like the originals that he wrote, so those are the ones that I would use... I would just follow the plan as laid out in DANDR and go from there... I mean induction is only for 2 weeks if you want it to be... and than you can take it from there...

sweetandspicy 04-12-2013 02:50 PM

I do not have a copy of the DADR book but i will order one asap. Thank you for the advice. I have just been researching on the internet and it seems every list i read is different.

I will check out the induction friendly desserts.

Thanks!

Happy anniversary Jersygyrl 9 years is amazing, you are an inspiration.

wannaskipandlaugh 04-12-2013 07:03 PM

:welcome2: Sweetandspicy

Glad that you are starting and I welcome you. I hope that you have alot of movement on your ticker soon . Jerseygirl says it all and wonderfully.

Time to rock that scale!

wannaskipandlaugh 04-12-2013 07:04 PM

JerseyGirl... :D Happy Anniversary to you! You are the best poster child for this healthy way of eating for life. I am so glad that you share your knowledge and help answer our questions.

:hug: to you and :high5: Thank yous!!!

happierme88 04-13-2013 02:24 PM

Welcome to the forum! I definitely relate to needing that boost of weight loss as the motivation to keep going. Thats exactly why I started Atkins two weeks ago. I initially started this thinking "oh, ill do this for two weeks, lose some weight, and then Ill go back to calorie counting", but now that the first two weeks are done, Ive lost 13 pounds, and I dont want to stop. I feel better, I have more energy, and Im making much better food choices than I was when I was calorie counting. This plan definitely works, it just takes some pre-reading as JerseyGyrl said, and a commitment to the lifestyle change. Now I didnt do induction strictly because I know that I tend to cheat when I restrict too much, so I allowed myself 1 diet soda a day, but still drank 8 glasses of pure water a day, and I also allowed myself vodka on occasion...which I think is a pretty big no-no, but I still lost weight. As for the sweets craving, I definitely have them too, so Ill have 3 dark-chocolate covered almonds (Trader Joes brand) which I think is about 4 carbs, but as long as I budget for them, it hasnt hurt me so far. I hope this helps and good luck!