Muscle spasms, potassium?

• I have yet another question. I know that low potassium can cause muscle spasms. I have been twitching alot today and I ate a whole avocado as my side for dinner. How does everyone get their potassium in everyday?
  • Make sure you're drinking plenty of water.....very important. Spinach & green veggies are a must. Avacado's are great!
    If all else fails, you can try a supplement.
  • Thanks once again Kim

I made a spinach omelet this morning... a lot of time my breakfast doesn't include veggies and I'm thinking I should start the day off with some green goodness. Hope all is well with you!

• My legs cramp badly and often, even though I drink at least 3 quarts of water a day and avocados didn't help, so now I take a potassium supplement daily and am thinking of adding a colloidal mineral supplement as well. My water is reverse osmosis filtered, so there are no minerals there and I refuse to feel guilty for taking supplements. Potassium 99mg. 500 caplets cost less that 10 dollars at Sam's and it does the trick.
  • Hey sheski! I bought some Potassium supplements and salt subsitiute since my food intake only helped a little. Salt subsitute has a lot of potassium! Just be careful not to use too much if you do get some
  • Thanks for the heads up on the potassium Tiff, but I do not use a salt substitute. I did recently order a multi-mineral supplement so when it gets here I will have to check it's potassium content.
  • I bought some potassium capsules and I take 1 per day, I also got the salt substitute and sprinkle a tiny amount in with my regular salt. It definitely works I hope work capsules work for you! I'm sure if you're taking the recommended dosage you'll be safe the only reason I mentioned anything was because I never realized how much potassium was in salt substitute (can be both a good and bad thing).
  • What made you think of a salt substitute? I have the worst salt cravings, and the worse they are the more likely my legs will cramp. My doctor is well aware and did blood tests, but didn't find anything and her sage advice was to say drink GatorAde. That's when I bought the potassium, and it seamed to work. I am adding a multi-mineral because I want to start working out again and I was afraid the potassium wouldn't be enough, but I never even thought about a salt substitute.
  • I am in nursing school and I actually JUST learned about salt substitutes and foods higher in potassium (swiss chard, spinach, etc).
  • Cool! Thanks for all the info.