Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #1  

Unhappy Read, planned, prepared, waiting to start

Warning: this is just a general whining session because I have no one to talk to about my weight and have reached the end of my rope. I'm a little reclusive and not used to social stuff like this but trying, I read more than I post, partially because I am afraid I will rehash an old subject because I didn't read far enough.

A couple months ago I started checking books on Atkins, carb counting, South Beach and general low carb cooking out of my local library. (I am a fall/spring full time student and other than student loans am living temporarily on a VA Widows pension so low income is an understatement.)

Anyway, I have always enjoyed savory foods as much if not more than sweet foods, but my weakness is bread, rice, pasta; if I eat them I eat a lot because I can't seam to stop myself. I drink a lot of water, in addition to unsweetened iced tea and almost never drink soda.

The Atkins books I read compared to the South Beach and some other Carb Cycle thing seamed like it would be the perfect diet for me, because if I stay away from simple carbs for a while then I stop craving them except for pms a few days a month. I research everything to death before I attempt it, I had already started working out regularly at a gym that I was comfortable with and thought I was finally ready to start the induction phase, then . . . my refrigerator broke and while it was melting the minor flood caused me to take action with my gas stove pulling it out cleaning and such during which it broke. After a few days I plugged the fridge back in and it worked for about a week then I figured out how to fix my stove so that two burners would still work without leaking gas. The fridge is dead again and I have been waiting for three plus weeks to see a person at our local VA center to get help to fix or replace my fridge in the meantime having to get food that can go from freezer to microwave has broke me financially and I have fallen back on eating pasta with cheap canned spaghetti sauce or butter, to survive. I have not gained any weight yet and still seam to be losing a bit, but no money means no gas for the car so I also stopped working out. In two days I finally meet with the VA to see if they can spare some money for my refrigeration and hopefully this years school funds will put me back on better ground for groceries and gas money.

Even if the fridge is fixed and the student loans come in for groceries and gas and other necessities, I will still be on a tight budget. I am big and am a bit scared by the suggested menus for the induction phase, One Atkins book I read seamed to have breakfast menus that were twice the volume of the other book, so now I need to check them both out at the same time to compare. However, both books were big on fish (tuna, loxs and such) and things like turkey sausage. I do not and will not eat seafood, fish or cold blooded creatures of any sort and I tried and do not care for turkey disguised as a pork product. Has anyone else gotten through the induction and into the next phase on a budget and without eating fake sausage or bacon or fish?
sheski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Ugh, I hate fish! I lost 110lbs on Atkins in a year (I gained a bit back and am working it back off again as you can see) but during that year I did not put a bite of fish in my mouth so don't sweat it. Real bacon and beef and chicken all the way, I do like turkey sausage and turkey bacon from time to time but I rarely eat it. In fact, you should focus on "real" bacon and meats because they has more fat and that keeps you full!
The newer books are not the ones you should follow because they were not written by Dr. Atkins himself and push the bars and shakes to try to sell their products. The exact version of the book that should be followed is Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution dated 2002 and earlier.
Read this thread! It will help you a lot:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atki...on-basics.html

Last edited by Linsy; 08-06-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #3  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Sheski. You will find lots of support and suggestions on the Atkins board. You're certainly not alone in being on a very tight budget; there are some very creative Atkins Chicks here. It sounds as if you have some real challenges right now. I'm sure things will begin to improve; you're doing the best you can today.

As for what you might eat, I just plain don't like turkey sausage, turkey bacon, etc. I've been successful eating real sausage and real bacon; I do try to buy it "natural" and bypass the nitrates, smoking spices, etc. if it's affordable. If it's not on sale, I just buy the regular sausage or bacon. If you haven't used it before, try Linda's Low Carb site for lots of recipes that won't break your bank and don't include seafood.

YOU CAN DO IT!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: I'm 20 years old and work at the Olive Garden making about 12k/year, after my rent and bills I only have about 200 extra dollars a month and I'm also cooking for me+two hungry carb eating men so I know how it feels being on a tight budget! I recommend filling up on cheap fats and protein like eggs! Deviled eggs, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, egg salad etc.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

Sheski dont get frustrated, we can all relate! I am currently feeding a family of 5 on my salary alone so money is definately tight but I am LOVING Atkins right now...10 pounds in one week and absolutely NO struggle whatsoever, so whatever low carb meal you choose to go with, you can do it.

Couple of suggestions. Im not sure if they have this in your area but I often go to Walmart and they usually have sections where the meat is on "clearance" because it is reaching its exp. - something to look into? I have never gotten sick off of this and we've been doing it for years.

Next...if you have a BJ's, Costco, Sam's club membership...its worth going there 30 minutes before they close because they sell all their rotisserie chickens and turkeys at half price....I usually get one for $3 and it stretches far! Chicken salads...chicken and spinach quiche, etc.

Lastly, this is little pricier but falls into atkins approved and it STRETCHES. I but a box of wings from Publix supermarket from the deli section, they are usually $8 for a big box which makes 4 meals for me, with 6 wings each time.

Keep your head up, hope you get started soon! :-)
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #6  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

If the VA doesn't come through with the fridge maybe you should try looking at Craigslist and Freecycle. I have given away and recieved things through those sites. Also, a mini-fridge may be an option-they are cheap and work ok. You can also get frozen chicken breasts and cook those in the microwave. Do you have a crockpot? You can make a big crockpot meal then break it into servings and freeze them then microwave when you need them. I have been in a similar situation so I know how hard it can be. I hope things get better for you. Also, you could get a small ice chest and make ice in your freezer for a short term fridge (I have had to do this and a mini-fridge for a year in the the past- it is a hassle but if you don't have any options it works).
As for not eating fish-you need to make sure you take a Omega 3 fatty acid supplement because that is what you'll be missing out on. Olive oil is good, too.
I am sorry for the loss of your husband. I wish you all the best, and you'll always have a friend in us.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #7  

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, the past few days have been a little nuts so this is the first chance I have had to sit down and look at 3fc. The VA did approve my new fridge, it will be delivered 08/17. And even better they gave me a grocery store certificate to put some food in it when it gets here.

Some things like eating off the grocery stores clearance meats and clearance everything else has been standard for me the past few years, luckily my local market is pretty consistent about their mark-downs. And I do try and make meals that can be portioned and frozen for the microwave, I just need to make adjustments for the pasta, rice, and breads that usually go with the meats and veggies. Eggs are another thing that I have to learn to eat without bread, deviled eggs are great I wonder why I forget that I can make them for me instead of just a crowd.

Wow, I have been checking out the more recent Atkins books I will get the older one, maybe it will clear some of my confusion between the two post pst 2008 books. I have checked out some low carb recipe books including one just for slow cookers, but I am finding most recipes will have to wait until later phases, because even the recipes that are very low in carbs are for sandwich fillings and things to be served over high-carb things. I will look in the forums and on Linda's Low carb site for more ideas before shopping.

I did not know that about Sam's at closing time, I knew that if I get there around 10 am they are marking down any fresh meats from the night before. Oh and I feel much better knowing that fish isn't required, I've gone my whole life without eating it and wasn't about to start now especially with what commercial fishing has done to our oceans. Anyway my doctor and I compromised on my cholesterol I won't take statins so I do take a fish oil concentrate that has no odor.

Thanks again ladies, you've been very helpful. I think that when my fridge gets here, I am going to make a very careful grocery list to make sure that I can start this semester out on the right foot. The gym is out by the school so I will be able to start back at that without worrying about gas money.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #8  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

You can eat your egg salad on pork rinds or on lettuce leaves!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffNeedsChange View Post
You can eat your egg salad on pork rinds or on lettuce leaves!
You can also eat it with cucumber slices, scoop it up with celery sticks and spoon it into endive leaves (my fav!).
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #10  

Well, I finally got the fridge and went grocery shopping. The shopping trip was not good, I had read so many recipes and so many snack suggestions that somehow I got it in my head that cream cheese and sour cream were okay for induction, so into the cart they went. I think the problem may have been that after I read the Atkins books, (which means I read about induction before maintenance), then I went and started collecting recipes and I could have sworn that some of the quiche recipes included bacon and cream cheese but were marked as okay for induction. However, last night as I opened up the different recipes and allowed foods lists so that I could prepare some stuff for the freezer and for quickie meals, I realized that the quart of sour cream and the four bricks of cream cheese in my fridge as well as the ham and bacon are all not allowed. I can't buy different stuff, so I will just eat what I have at 20 grams of carbohydrates per day until next month, then cut those items out of the shopping list and continue on 20 grams a day for at least a couple more weeks. I still have over a hundred pounds to lose and lots of reasons to limit my carbs, so it won't hurt.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 291.3/236.1/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheski View Post
Well, I finally got the fridge and went grocery shopping. The shopping trip was not good, I had read so many recipes and so many snack suggestions that somehow I got it in my head that cream cheese and sour cream were okay for induction, so into the cart they went. I think the problem may have been that after I read the Atkins books, (which means I read about induction before maintenance), then I went and started collecting recipes and I could have sworn that some of the quiche recipes included bacon and cream cheese but were marked as okay for induction. However, last night as I opened up the different recipes and allowed foods lists so that I could prepare some stuff for the freezer and for quickie meals, I realized that the quart of sour cream and the four bricks of cream cheese in my fridge as well as the ham and bacon are all not allowed. I can't buy different stuff, so I will just eat what I have at 20 grams of carbohydrates per day until next month, then cut those items out of the shopping list and continue on 20 grams a day for at least a couple more weeks. I still have over a hundred pounds to lose and lots of reasons to limit my carbs, so it won't hurt.
Hi -- I've lost 93 lbs in the last year - I never did a strict induction - I just do 20 grams a day for my carbs - I've used cheeses, bacon, etc since day one -- so I would say don't stress the small stuff and just use what you have - enjoy the recipes and track your carbs - you may not have the huge first week loss but it will work and it will keep working .. btw I still try to stay around 20 carb - 25 a day. Im planning on staying around that till I get to almost where I want to be then adding a little more.
rho1640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #12  

Thanks RHO1640, it helps to know that it has worked for someone else who used bacon and such. I was on such a high carb kick for a few weeks before I got everything straightened out that I am still craving pasta or bread on day 3 of the induction luckily there is none in the house. You've lost so much, I'm still working on the "I can do this for a month or so", in my head when I see something I can't have or think about fruit, I hope I can hang on and stay with 20 or so carbs for longer. Thanks again.