3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Atkins Questions!! Confused (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/263914-atkins-questions-confused.html)

Keish 08-01-2012 11:20 AM

Atkins Questions!! Confused

Hello Everyone,
So Today is my first day on the induction phase and i am so confused even though i just finished reading the book. I have the following questions that i need helping answering.
So as far as induction goes i am allowed to have butter, olive oil, and mayo as much as i want? Also for veggies the list were giving is that the only thing we can eat from? And finally something i am really confused about do i have to count the carbs or not as long as i am eating from the list that he has provided in induction? I would really appreciate your help. Also did you just do two weeks of the induction or longer? Finally the Mayo am i suppose to count on spoon as 1 gram of carbs and does that go for olive oil and butter as well? I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Kee

Simona 08-01-2012 11:30 AM

Yes, count the carbs on EVERYTHING you eat, including the veggies and meat on the Acceptable Foods List. And yes, the veggies on that list are the only ones you can have during Induction.

You can have as much butter, oil and mayo as you wish.

As for mayo...mine is 0 carbs per tablespoon but I still track that [I use my fitness pal to track my intake]. Im planning a longer induction period than 2 weeks because this essentially will be my life plan [I had weight loss surgery so we're supposed to eat like this anyway].

ETA: If you want - post a menu plan for the day and we [namely the vets] can tell you if you're on track or if you're having too much or too little of something.

JerseyGyrl 08-01-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keish (Post 4423684)
And finally something i am really confused about do i have to count the carbs or not as long as i am eating from the list that he has provided in induction?

Hi Kee,

I hope I answered your other questions in the private messages you sent me:)
I am going to address this particular question you asked. Do not eat anything that is not on the acceptable foods list for Induction and yes, you must count the carbs. You should be eating no more than 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day, with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list.
I hope this helps and as Simona mentioned, please post a typical day's menu and I will be happy to look that over for you:)
All the best to you!:)

Keish 08-01-2012 02:37 PM

Okay thank you so much for the answers!

So Today what i am eating or ate
Breakfast:
2 Boiled eggs

Lunch: 1 can tuna with 2 table spoons mayo and 1 cup onion

Dinner 8 oz grilled chicken 1 cup lettuce 3 ounce feta cheese.

So on all of these i am suppose to count the carbs right?

TiffNeedsChange 08-01-2012 06:39 PM

Hi Keish. Your menu looks ok but it seems like you may need to increase your fat and leafy greens. Also 1 cup of onion has about 12 net carbs which is a bit much since you should be getting the majority of you carbs from leafy greens.
ETA: you should count the carbs of every single bite that enters your mouth no matter the source (eggs, veggies, salad dressing etc.)

JerseyGyrl 08-01-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keish (Post 4423937)
Okay thank you so much for the answers!

So Today what i am eating or ate
Breakfast:
2 Boiled eggs

Lunch: 1 can tuna with 2 table spoons mayo and 1 cup onion

Dinner 8 oz grilled chicken 1 cup lettuce 3 ounce feta cheese.

So on all of these i am suppose to count the carbs right?

Hi Kee,

Thank you for posting your menu:) It does not look like you are eating enough. Atkins is a high fat, moderate protein plan so getting plenty of fat is very important. I would add a few slices of bacon to your boiled eggs for breakfast. For lunch the tuna looks great but, I would put it on a bed of some type of lettuce or baby spinach. While onions are certainly permitted on Induction, they are on the "carby" side. You may want to limit the onions in your tuna salad to a Tablespoon or 2. For dinner, maybe 6 oz of grilled chicken with some type of green veggie (green beans, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, zucchini) with butter, a salad with cucumber slices, maybe a little tomato, some sliced black olives dressed with olive oil and vinegar (not balsamic), with a sprinkle of cheese. Be mindful of cheese, it is known to stall a lot of people.

You must count the carbs of everything you eat & drink. Aim for no more than 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day, with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the accpetable foods list.

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!:)

Keish 08-01-2012 09:23 PM

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for the help. So for dinner I ate 3 eggs 3 ounces cheese and 2 cups lettuce. And today my carb count was 22. Is that so bad?? I'll be restarting tomorrow and keeping it at 20 ounces.

Keish 08-02-2012 09:42 AM

Hello Again,
Okay i am sorry but i am still confused about this diet even though i read the book twice. The carbs count am i counting all of it or just the digestible ones? Also is caffeine free diet coke allowed? It has aspartame so i am not really clear on this. Thanks again for answering all of my questions!

JerseyGyrl 08-02-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keish (Post 4424783)
Hello Again,
Okay i am sorry but i am still confused about this diet even though i read the book twice. The carbs count am i counting all of it or just the digestible ones? Also is caffeine free diet coke allowed? It has aspartame so i am not really clear on this. Thanks again for answering all of my questions!

Hi Kee,

Atkins Induction is no more than 20 net carbs per day. Net carbs are total carbs minus dietary. So, if you are eating something that the label says is 4 carbs and there are 2 grams of dietary fiber, you would deduct the 2 grams of dietary fiber from the 4 carbs for a total of 2 net carbs.
As for the caffeine free diet coke, you are going to get different opinions here but, bottom line is Dr. Atkins said its not permitted. Aspartame is big no-no and a common staller for a lot of people.
Hope this helps:)

jamie26301 08-02-2012 01:16 PM

Hey Keish, which book did you read? The little one that came with the free bars? It's no wonder you're confused!

You want to get the larger books. Like the New Atkins for the New You, or the New Diet Revolution by Dr. Atkins himself. (latter is recommended, although I haven't read it.)

Keish 08-02-2012 04:14 PM

Hi,
So I read the big one and not the small on. And i still confused!! But thank you so much for all the answers. Because i have been just counting the net carbs and not subtracting the dietary carbs. Thank you so much for all of the information and answering my questions! I felt so dump not getting it!