Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #151  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I totally understand about getting caught up in information overload. I got all caught up in analysis paralysis, measuring and tracking everything that can possibly be tracked by a layperson for a couple years and wore myself out. It literally ate my whole life!

In the end, I had to figure out how to eat less in general and accept that I have health issues that are going to make weight loss a slow process. I had to give up easy food, processed food, going out to most restaurants. I had to give up whole food groups, because they mess with my progress. I had to stop wanting to be entertained by food. I had to stop hanging out with others obsessed with being entertained by food. And watch less TV.

Figure out what will cause the least stress for you. And mix it up so you won't get bored. Reinvent food that you loved but had to give up. Be patient with your progress and show yourself some compassion. You can do this.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #152  
started IP Nov 21, 2011

S/C/G: Goal 140

Height: 5'5

Again thanks so much for the advice and support. You are so right, I guess getting all of the information overload has at least helped me to understand that I need to take control over my life and do what is right for me. will continue on induction for the next 2 weeks and see how it works for me. will be posting my progress.
happy2bme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #153  
Renaissance Woman

Feeling a little demoralized tonight. Didn't get much sleep last night and I was dragging all day. Was doing fabulously with carbs till I got home from work and my energy crashed. I had made chicken curry and basmati rice for my son and I decided I needed a taste. Apparently I needed to taste a lot! 88 gm of carbs! It was a cascade failure because I also had dark chocolate (way more than I usually eat). So happy there was no bread in the house.

I drank a lot of water too, and the temperatures are back up in the low 90s and I'm hot and bloaty now. Back on the induction wagon tomorrow morning!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #154  
Renaissance Woman

Second night of poor sleep. This time, a high-speed police chase seemed to circle around my house around 1 a.m. and DaisyMae sure does love to howl along. She had a hard time settling back down to sleep, and so did I! Got up at 6 to take my son to school. I had a cup of coffee with heavy cream and now I'm going to sleep a bit more. Will be missing my Pilates class...

So, I'm down 8 lbs with induction, as of this morning. Just 5 days in. My refrigerator is baren of Atkins/Paleo approved goodies so I need to go to the store later today. Kinda in the mood for roasted cauliflower. Had dandelion greens yesterday. YUM!

The next 9 lbs are going to be the tough ones. Usually, as I lose weight, I hit a new low then bounce up about 5 - 7 lbs., go back and forth for a few weeks, then experience a week where I drop another 5 lbs. It's rather frustrating. The next 9 lbs are going to be on approach to the last new low of 286. If I can muscle my way through the next few days without losing focus, maybe my body will cooperate and I can blow past 286 to another new low. But it won't happen if I have another night like last night and the additional 60 gm of carbs!

I wonder if I carbed up because I didn't have more choices in the fridge. Sometimes, when the fridge is depleted, I suck at making good choices.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #155  
Renaissance Woman

Finally got a good night's sleep! I feel so much better now.

Down another pound. I'm doing well again with the carb redux. It's hard to track carbs when there are conflicting reports on how many grams of carbs and fiber there are in some foods. I use Livestrong's MyPlate to track and I just tried to track kale. One entry that they say is "verified" says the amount of kale I just ate is at least 10 gm higher in carbs than the another "verified" entry. Which one is it?

I can tell that I'm not as hungry as I was last week before coming back to induction. Not feeling as edgy about being empty. But I feel just as susceptible to suggestion. I was on another forum where someone was talking about custard and now I want some! Pumpkin custard with traditional pumpkin pie spices. Thank God I'm lazy! I don't want to have to get up and make some. Just enjoying a cup of egg nog coffee with cream and nutmeg instead. The craving is fading now that I can smell the nutmeg. If I put nutmeg-scented oil in my atomizer, would I be able to skate through the holidaze without inhaling pie? I'm going to give it a try!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #156  
Renaissance Woman

Down a total of 10 lbs at the end of week one. Things that have changed in the last week:
  1. The achiness in my muscles and joints is greatly diminished! Now I'm just left with the usual morning aches of middle age. It would be lovely to get rid of thos too!
  2. The bloating is greatly diminished. When I do sit ups in my fitness classes it doesn't feel like there's a huge lump in the way. My inner thighs are less abrasive.
  3. I feel awake in the morning, every morning, whether I've had 7 to 8 hours of sleep or just 5 (like I did last night).
  4. Carb cravings are starting to reduce. I don't crave potatoes any more, or grains. I'm still craving chocolate. Maybe I should start crunching on my cocoa nibs again. Had a craving for sweets last night but I drank a cup of Good Earth Original tea, which was heavy on the cinnamon. Craving squashed!
Looking forward to what the next week will bring me. I miss eating more veggies. Yesterday afternoon I had all my carbs in one serving of kale (I ate a lot of kale!) and I really wanted more veggies later in the day. Ended up going over on carbs with celery, tomato, and lettuce. Then I cut myself off and ate more protein. I noticed that eating about 4 oz. of grass-fed meat cuts my cravings.

Weekends are always full of problems for me. Schedule...that's out the window. Food-centered events have the potential of screwing up my progress. I'm taking my sons out to lunch on Sunday at a lovely seafood restaurant on a river. I'm checking out their menu online before I go. Planning ahead is important for me. And if I tell the boys to not offer me tastes of their fries or dessert, I'll be okay. Now I just have to keep from ordering the watermelon martini!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #157  
Renaissance Woman

I made the mistake of taking my sons out to dinner last night. They wanted pizza, but I wanted to NOT eat pizza. So the compromise was a local Italian restaurant.

I did pretty well with my ordering. Heirloom tomato salad, free-range grilled chicken breast and Italian green beans. But they brought garlic bread to the table and I had two pieces. And one of my boys wanted to try the fried calamari, so I had one taste of that. And then I had half a portion of premium coffee ice cream. Just that put me over the top with carbs by 67 gm. And those 67 gm caused a gain of 2 lbs this morning. Grrrr!

I'm probably out of ketosis too. Back on track today. Just move forward.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #158  
Renaissance Woman

Wow...8 net grams of carbs today! Just had to document it somewhere!

Last edited by geoblewis; 10-20-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #159  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Height: 5' 2"

I'm trying to be an ATKINS girl can I join in ?

I'm a former IP girl but it got too pricey for my budget. Love many of the Atkins products. What are your favs ?

Lee Anne
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #160  
Renaissance Woman

Welcome Spunky! I am still tweaking my optimum low-carb life. I looked at IP briefly. It seems to be very popular here. But like the Atkins products, nearly all have some form of soy and I seem to have an intollerance to that. So, I can't weigh in on the products.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #161  
Low Carb

Talking

Thanks for the warm welcome So far I love the brownie bars & the Dk choco almond coconut crunch bar. Theres also one that tastes like a snickers . If anybody can confirm which one is is PLEASE let me know. Notice the pattern here ? I'm a picky eater & usually stick with the same thing over & over again .

I am willing to try those cinnamon toast crunch recipe Mmmmm.

Last edited by 1spunkygal; 10-21-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #162  
Renaissance Woman

I remember those chocolate almond coconut things. Got some when I first signed up for Atkins online. Ate one without looking at the ingredients. Yum! What I do to get my chocolate fix, I eat dark French chocolate with no soy in it. I break it up and put it in a bowl with raw coconut meat and raw almonds. I still love that. It's not as sweet and I prefer that.

Two days in a row of eating really low carbs. My period started yesterday, so I'm having an inner battle right now. I lost those 2 lbs I had regained from eating Italian food on Friday. Hoping tomorrow will show a big loss on the scale.

I went out to lunch with good friends today. We're all on dietary restriction, in our own ways. I watched them eat arancini and seaman's hummus. They watched me eat Niman Ranch bacon. We all sighed wistfully as we drank out water with lemon and cucumber slices. But we all still enjoyed each other's company. And I was able to stay completely on track with my diet.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #163  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Lee Anne!
I'm curious, are you doing Atkins Induction?
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #164  
Low Carb

NO ...I need to get back to induction please point me in the right direction.

I went from IP to Atkins, I have been off track so help a girl out Thanks !

Last edited by 1spunkygal; 10-22-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #165  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spunkygal View Post
NO ...I need to get back to induction please point me in the right direction.

I went from IP to Atkins, I have been off track so help a girl out Thanks !
When doing Atkins, reading the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions) BEFORE beginning the plan is essential. It will explain exactly how & why Atkins, when done correctly, works.
You may also want to give those Atkins products a toss, especially during Induction. I know Atkins Nutritionals Inc. markets them as "appropriate for all phases".....but....that isn't what Dr. Atkins said. You may want to read this for a better understanding:
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
You CAN do this!!!
All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 10-22-2012 at 06:20 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote