Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #16  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

The oopsie bread is made eith eggs and crezm cheese, there is a whole thread dedicated to them...should shoe up if you google them (my computer bit the dust last week and I have no idea how to link thru my phone) they are not the same texture as bread but satisfy the craving. Revolution rolls recipe is on genaw.com under breads, trying that recipe tonight. Just make sure your egg whites are stiff enough because the first time I made oopsies they were a tad flat because of that. Also, there are recipes for low carb cream cheese muffins (I posted it in one of the Atkins threads) but you may want to wait on making those till your cravings are less overwhelming since they can be a trigger for somd people. Tonight I made cheeseburger patties with some slices tomato and romaine lettuce on the side and dipped it all in homemade "big mac" sauce-was nice for a change.
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #17  
Born to lose!

S/C/G: 160/150/125

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffNeedsChange View Post
The oopsie bread is made eith eggs and crezm cheese, there is a whole thread dedicated to them...should shoe up if you google them (my computer bit the dust last week and I have no idea how to link thru my phone) they are not the same texture as bread but satisfy the craving. Revolution rolls recipe is on genaw.com under breads, trying that recipe tonight. Just make sure your egg whites are stiff enough because the first time I made oopsies they were a tad flat because of that. Also, there are recipes for low carb cream cheese muffins (I posted it in one of the Atkins threads) but you may want to wait on making those till your cravings are less overwhelming since they can be a trigger for somd people. Tonight I made cheeseburger patties with some slices tomato and romaine lettuce on the side and dipped it all in homemade "big mac" sauce-was nice for a change.
Alright! I'll look into these things. So glad you enjoyed your cheeseburgers! I had hamburger today actually.
jamie26301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #18  
Changing for the better

I hope that some of those recipes help you through the rough patches! We are all in this together
Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 251/see ticker/175

Height: 5'11"

Wow...what a great thread! I am sorry i missed the discussion yesterday! Hang in there Jamie, I did not lose anything for 10 days and was ready to give up and then decided to really give it one more big push switching from gummy bear multivitamins to regular multivitamins, cutting down on cheese, tracking my calories (around 1800-1900/day) and eliminating 4-5 sticks of extra gum that I had daily....and lost 1.5 lbs in two days....I am so happy I followed the advice of people on this board and am glad I stayed on plan. I had such an intense craving for chips and snacky snacks LOL a couple of nights ago but I was strong and decided to go to bed and read my book instead.

My point is, cravings come and go, plan for those times when cravings hit, induction is not the easiest but you can do it with all the support here.

Good luck to you!!
Summer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #20  
Born to lose!

Thanks Tiff and Summer for the encouragement. I had biscuit and gravy this morning (doh!) but then when I went to an Omelet Shop I got an steak and onion omelet with bites of tomato with it. Not bad huh?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #21  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Good decision with the steak and onion/tomato at the Omelet Shop, Jamie. An omelet shop is a great place for you to get what you need. You can do this!

Last edited by sandyfanny; 07-25-2012 at 07:41 PM.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #22  
Changing for the better

Oh yummy, an omelet shop. I went to a Chinese buffet and managed to stay on plan with boiled seafood w/butter sauce and sauteed veggies, seems like a good alternative to the norm.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #23  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Jamie, if you get through the first three days of induction with no cheating, it will so much easier for you. Every time you eat carbs, it's like getting back to square one, and you have to go through those painful carb withdrawals again. No fun. You need to get your body into Ketosis for Atkins to work for you. But once the withdrawals are over, you will find it is worth it.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not following Atkins, because even on induction my appetite isn't low enough to guarantee weight loss. I need a calorie-counting component, because I can't trust my hunger alone (it's too screwed up, probably from a lifetime of crash diets).

Also, I have blood sugar issues that make induction impossible. "Induction flu" doesn't go away after two weeks for me, and only gets worse to the point I'll actually pass out. I eventually discovered that these symptoms were low blood sugar.

I use a reduced-carb exchange plan. My experience with low-carb diets including Atkins is that playing with carbs, is like playing with fire. It doesn't mean you can't ever eat any, but the chance of a "flame-up" is always there. Even fruit for me, triggers cravings. I can be a grown-up about it and resist the cravings, but they're going to be there - and if I continue to ignore the little cravings and eat more carbs, I'm going to end up with an all-out forest-fire of intense cravings.

Crackers? Bread? Pasta? I may never be able to eat these without triggering what I call "rabid hunger."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie26301 View Post
I really don't want to go on to OWL, because I want the fast weight loss, but eating veggies is hard. In my Questions about Induction thread, someone gave me some ideas about what veggies to eat.
Just want to point out that when you move on to OWL, you're not supposed to be eating fewer vegetables, you're supposed to be eating MORE (in fact, your first 5g increase (at least) is supposed to come form MORE vegetables.

As a reminder, here's the carb ladder

1.More salad and other vegetables
2.Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
3.Nuts and Seeds
4.Berries, then melons
5.Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)
6.Legumes
7.Other Fruits
8.Starchy vegetables
9.Whole grains

In fact, you don't HAVE to ever move beyond the first wrung, because your second week of OWL can also come from more veggies. Atkins never said (in any of the books I read) how long to stay at one rung before moving to the next, but he did say to move on only after you've been able to gauge your tolerance for that rung (as determined by any stalls in your weight loss, or any retriggering of cravings). I would argue that would have to be at least a couple weeks (ideally three or four). But even if you assume it's only one week, that would mean it would be three weeks before you add in nuts, and at least nine weeks before you add in whole grains.

This is the part of OWL that I think most folks (definitely I) have the most problems implementing. We treat the ladder as a "guideline" rather than a hard limit.

I have a lost of respect for Atkins, but I switched to paleo because I wouldn't follow the ladder. I'm considering going back to Atkins, or at least moving my food choices closer to the bottom rungs of the ladder, because my weight has been stalling, and even fruit has begun to trigger out-of-control hunger.

Either way though, non-starchy veggies are always going to have to be my hunger-buffer because the fiber and low calorie-count keep me satisfied. I also have to watch how I eat fruit, because if I eat fruit alone (without fat and/or protein) even berries will trigger rebound hunger.

In the long-run, the veggies are your best friend, but if you're not used to eating them, it may not seem like it. The good news is that the longer you eat them, the more you'll learn to love them (really).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #25  
Less Juicey

Good choices at the Chinese restaurant, Tiff!

Today my challenge is I'm meeting a friend who is very overweight and eats anything she wants. We're going shopping, but I know she's going to want a snack. We're meeting at 4 p.m. - an odd time, but I have a plan. No matter what she eats, I'm going to find an iced tea or a yummy iced coffee with Splenda and cream. I've prepared by eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, and I'll have a salad with protein (maybe chicken or cheese - or both!) about 1:30. Everytime we do the right thing, we strengthen our skills. I appreciate the support, Atkins Chicks.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #26  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
My experience with low-carb diets including Atkins is that playing with carbs, is like playing with fire. It doesn't mean you can't ever eat any, but the chance of a "flame-up" is always there.
Kaplods! I could not have said it any better myself.
I've been doing Atkins for 8+ years now and lots of people will ask me "what made you so successful on Atkins?". My response is always the same, "Atkins works when its done CORRECTLY". When I say "correctly", I mean done by the book. Speaking of the book, that is where Atkins begins. Reading the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions) BEFORE you attempt to do Atkins, is critical. Personally, I even suggest reading it cover to cover twice to be sure you fully comprehend exactly how & why this plan works and how to do it correctly & effectively.
Kaplods is 100% correct, "playing with carbs is like playing with fire". I feel exatly the same way. Being on Atkins for over 8 years now, I know what I can eat and what I can't eat. I typically do not eat fruit with the exception of some blueberries in the Summer. I don't drink diet soda or juices (Crystal Light etc.). I eat absolutely no grains. I drink lots of water and herbal decaf teas. I eat a salad everyday for lunch with some type of protein, usually grilled chicken. I will often add cold, cooked green beans or broccoli to my salad. I eat eggs, bacon & cheese for breakfast with some low carb/low sugar yogurt or plain greek yogurt. To most my eating would seem pretty basic & boring....but....there are many fantastic recipes & substitutions on Atkins so your meals don't need to ho-hum. Before Atkins I barely touched a vegetable but, like Kaplods said "The good news is that the longer you eat them, the more you'll learn to love them (really)." This is very true! My dinner last night was a big salad with chunks of mozzarella, salami, cut red & yellow peppes, sliced black olives and sun-dried tomato with a dressing made of olive oil, vinegar & parmesan cheese. It was delicious! When I think back to the garbage I used to eat (a box of pop tarts & a half gallon of ice cream for dinner) it is no wonder I ate myself up to 245 lbs! Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd lose all this weight and enjoy eating veggies, salad and protein....but....Atkins proved me wrong!
Atkins works when you do it CORRECTLY....I'm living proof of that!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-26-2012 at 11:52 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #27  
Less Juicey

Thanks, Jerseygyrl and Kaplods. The voices of reality are always good things. I appreciate your support and your sound advice.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #28  
Born to lose!

JerseyGyrl, some of the stuff you said disheartened me somewhat. No grains?! I love whole wheat bread with a little peanut butter. And no fruit?! Like to buy one of those melody cups of fruit from Krogers. But I must say, that salad you had last night sure sounded delish!

And kaplods, more veggies?! Haha, I threw up (literally) trying to have a kale based salad the other day. But you know something? For a few days I was following the plan, I didn't mind the veggies so much, it's just that I don't know of many I like to eat, though I haven't tried a whole lot either. I like iceberg lettuce - I think it tastes good, and I can have a salad with that. Someone suggested mixed greens - what would that looked like? I looked at all the lettuces at the store and didn't see anything labeled mixed greens. But it gives me hope how you say it will get better with time. What all veggies do you all find delish?

Fruits is high up in the rung! I used to think I was doing myself a favor by having some fruit everyday. Guess not.

No fruit, no whole wheat bread? Wow, these are like things that I love. But I'm willing to sacrifice them for a smaller body. I actually here that your cravings for these things go down once you don't eat them for a while.

I have to check out Linda's recipes. I took a quick glance and there seems to be a lot there. And I like how she gives the calorie and carb count.

Thanks so much everyone. *hugs*

And thanks Sandyfanny for telling me that I can do this. It helps me feel like I can! I haven't had any veggies today but I had a hamburger from Hardee's (without bun) with bacon and cheese. But that's all I had for today. Going have to put together a big salad with some cucumbers on the side to get my veggie carbs in!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #29  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie26301 View Post
JerseyGyrl, some of the stuff you said disheartened me somewhat. No grains?! I love whole wheat bread with a little peanut butter. And no fruit?! Like to buy one of those melody cups of fruit from Krogers. But I must say, that salad you had last night sure sounded delish!
Jamie, I wasn't implying YOU can't eat grains or fruit. For me, I feel those things are too high in carbs and I have learned I can live without them. That being said, grains & fruits are permitted on Atkins during OWL. I personally would be very cautious of them, particularly the grains.
As for veggies, I've learned to enjoy them....spinach, zucchini, green beans, brussel sprouts, yellow squash, cauliflower, broccoli. The beauty of Atkins is that you can enjoy your veggies with real butter & cheese! I never thought I'd touch cauliflower until I tried the "Just Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes" and "Faux Mashed Potatoes" from Linda's Low Carb recipes. They are to die for! I don't miss the real potatoes at all. I really urge you to give that site a good look, I'm SURE you can find lots of things there you will enjoy
There is a huge difference in doing Atkins just to lose excess weight and in making it a lifestyle for the rest of your life. That goes for any weight loss plan, not just Atkins. Returning to old habits will quickly get you back to where you started. Establishing a new lifestyle and incorporating it into your everyday life will reward you with more energy, better health and a slimmer body!
All the best to you!!
You CAN do this!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-26-2012 at 05:32 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #30  
Changing for the better

Sandyfanny- I hope that your time with your friend isn't too challenging! Good thing you have a plan!

Jamie-mixed greens are sold in plastic tubs (square or rectangle) in the produce refrigerator section. My favorite are Dole's spring mix/mixed greens they are usually the freshest and have the best texture. Romaine lettuce hearts are pretty good-especially with grilled chicken, shredded parmesean, and ceasar dressing. You can do this! Don't get discouraged because eventually (depending on how you tolerate them you can have fruit and whole grains in small quantities (likely after you've reached your goal weight), what works for jerseygirl may not be what works for you.

Last edited by TiffNeedsChange; 07-26-2012 at 05:36 PM.