Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #1  
I'm a loser, yay!

S/C/G: 220/220/140

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy Ran out of food ideas, got bored and ate a KitKat ARGH

Admittedly I am just tired of my food and need to spend a day making some new stuff. I am also sick with a cold and low fever and haven't had the energy to cook . So today I screwed up and gorged on a KitKat bar. (28 net carbs, OH MY

So now I know I will probably see a gain or a good stall til I get back on track. I do want to get back on track and I do feel a little bad but at the same time I figure we have our moments and I'm not perfect. My problems are as always:

1) Not enough exercise (I had been taking very long walks but it's been raining A LOT -- thunderstorms -- so I went off my routine.)

2) Not enough water. Just bored of the taste right now.

3) Not enough veggies. I have been eating broccoli , a lot of salads, brussels sprouts and not much else. Boredom again.

Tomorrow is a new day so I will be back on Atkins track and I know it will take a few days to get back into ketosis but better to get back on the horse than just give up, right?

Anyone ever do something like this? How did you feel about it and how did you deal with it?
everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/156/135

Mistakes happen, just don't give up! When you feel better go to the grocery and make sure you have plenty of acceptable "snacks". You might be surprised about ketosis, I messed up once (with a bagel!) and stayed in with trace amounts, by the next day I was make to small amounts.
gapeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Don't think anything of it and just keep moving forward. A setback is only as big as you make it to be.... one kitkat never killed anyone.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #4  
I'm a loser, yay!

Thanks guys! That's what I'll do. I've got nothing but time, right? And I can use that time getting on track or getting depressed and not moving in the right direction. This is the hardest part of being on a diet, I've found. Not throwing in the towel when things don't go perfectly. And I find that I actually don't want the candy and sugar. It's not satisfying. What I would rather have is induction friendly meals that are different and satisfying. I'm off to get some new recipes and tomorrow I'll cook something up!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/262/176

Height: 5'8"

Maybe you should get some Atkins chocolate bars for those times when you feel like it. At least they are a better option.
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #6  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

It might not be that you are bored with the food but simply reverting back to bad habits when you are sick or stressed. I know for me that is the toughest thing to overcome. I simply don't have any of my "comfort" foods available in the house. If you have some now, just throw them out.

That said, maybe Atkins is not the plan for you. If you simply treat it as a diet, and not a way of eating for life, it is going to be very difficult to maintain.

Maybe you should try moving to OWL. That is what I did after 3-4 weeks. You can eat a larger selection of foods that will decrease your boredom. Of course, the WL will be slower, but I have managed to lose 1-1.5 every week except one, and no gains (knock on wood)

For the water issue. Every diet I have researched mentions drinking plenty of water. I do believe it helps clean out the liver and wash away the fat. You can try adding sliced lemons and/or limes to a pitcher of water. I once read that ice water helps with weight loss. Don't know if it is true, but since then I drink my water over a large glass of ice, and sip it through a straw. It seems more of a "drink" than a "chore".

Good Luck! You can do it!

Last edited by Serenity100; 06-09-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #7  
I'm a loser, yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
It might not be that you are bored with the food but simply reverting back to bad habits when you are sick or stressed.
If I had been reverting to bad habits I would have eaten a bag of Two Bite Brownies. I am just bored with my food because I don't do recipes often, I just cook up meats and eat them plain. It's boring. One of the reasons I got fat was because of my lack of prepping my food. I'd eat out a lot. Now that I'm cutting down the carbs, I have to cook or I will go nuts with boredom.

Quote:
I know for me that is the toughest thing to overcome. I simply don't have any of my "comfort" foods available in the house. If you have some now, just throw them out.
I don't have any for exactly that reason but hubby was getting some chocolate and I basically asked him to pick a KitKat up for me. I missed the taste of it. Wish things that tasted nice didn't have to be so awful for me.

Quote:
That said, maybe Atkins is not the plan for you. If you simply treat it as a diet, and not a way of eating for life, it is going to be very difficult to maintain.
Whoa slow down pardner, that's a lil hasty! I think of induction as a diet because it's so strict and as Dr Atkins says, "temporary." In essence it's a diet to begin a lifestyle change. I see it also as a work in progress, too.

Quote:
Maybe you should try moving to OWL. That is what I did after 3-4 weeks. You can eat a larger selection of foods that will decrease your boredom.
I have a lot to lose so I don't want to slow it down just yet. If it were just another 10 or 20 lbs maybe. The induction part is not the easiest thing, esp if you're not into cooking and doing recipes. It's doable (10 lbs lost ain't no joke) but I have to find ways of making it more fun and interesting without losing the plot.

I am getting some recipe books and will just have to suck it up and start cooking a lot more. Also looking online for recipes. One reason I am interested in Atkins is the opportunity to get rid of so many "filler" items and try new things. I just don't have all my courage up yet for some foods (cauliflower just looks gross for one) but I'm working on it.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

Meat can get pretty bland after a while. I went out and bought a bunch of random spices to cook with. I didn't use spices AT ALL before Atkins. But it really only takes a sec to sprinkle some spice on, and makes a huge difference.

You could try more celery, peppers, and cauliflower. Not so great on their own, but with low-carb dip they're yummy. My personal favourite is dill!

Baker's chocolate is as good as any chocolate. But I might start with 80% and work my way up, because it's pretty bitter if you're not used to pure chocolate.

I only drink 2 bottles of water a day. I know I should drink more, but I don't. So I drink lots of tea. It's better than nothing, right? Just try to get hydration any way you can. If there's decaf, get the decaf.

It's not about doing things absolutely perfect, just do the best you can and make improvements here and there as you go on.

Last edited by Ramra; 06-09-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 154.8/126/128

Height: 5'4

ever I have to agree with gapeach and temple on this one.. just move on and put it behind you. I've been down that road and slipped up.. the key is to just get back on plan..unless that kitkat had over 3500 calories you aren't going to gain any "real" weight maybe water but once you get back on plan it'll come off..it may slow down it may not like you said tomorrow is another day..

I'm currently doing the GI Diet with a combo of Atkins where I try and stay at 40 - 60 carbs a day and I'm losing 1 - 1.5 pounds a week. I also watch my calories as well..

Also I agree with Ramra try and use some spices on food and I think there is a links for food ideas in this forum..
globetrotter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #10  
I'm a loser, yay!

Thanks Ramra and globetrotter I've hit a small stall but I just bought the Atkins cookbook so I'm looking at new recipes.

Ramra about the dark chocolate -- I don't mind the dark stuff at all and actually have a bar of I think 86% in the house -- do you know when something like that is allowable? I'm guessing maybe on OWL in small bits? It is nice just to get the taste of something -- I don't need a whole bar. A small square or two is enough to enjoy.

I do get tired of the bland tastes of things. I found a chicken fricasee recipe in the new book that looks great so I'm going to try that.

BTW what does cauliflower taste like exactly? I am just put off by the look of it so I haven't really ever tried it (maybe mixed in with other stuff but never alone.)

Decaf -- oh I wish I could but coffee in any configuration kicks up my reflux and gives me pain. I'm a coffee lover so it really stinks I think I'm getting about 2 bottles of water a day, too. Argh.

Globe, I know we're technically not supposed to count calories but I am finding that if I don't at least keep a lil eye on them, they creep up and slow down the loss. And hey wow you're almost at your goal! Awesome!!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 154.8/126/128

Height: 5'4

hi ever I actually like cauliflower.. I guess I would put it in the same category as broccoli.. but I love veggies and spanich as well..

yes I am almost there and it has been a journey and one that I worked for.. so I'm very happy at what I've done.. I know the last 4 pounds will be slow but I know hopefully by July 4th I'll have reached my goal..
globetrotter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

I'm still on induction, and I'm already eating chocolate. I don't know if we're supposed to eat it, but that hasn't stopped me, and I've lost weight. It just depends on how much you're eating, and how your body responds to it.

I don't think cauliflower really has its own taste. It pretty much tastes like whatever you're cooking it with. I do not reccomend it raw. My mom likes to boil it, mash it up with butter + garlic powder, and have mashed potatoes.
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #13  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

everdeen, one thing I make when I am feeling icky from a cold is I make cauliflower soup. It's so delicious and it really does taste just like creamy pototo soup (mmmmmmmm comfort food ). I also cook with a lot of spices, mostly hot ones to give my meat flavor.

I get bored myself from time to time but that just inspires me to start looking for new things to cook
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote