Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #1  

Default Messed up the first day, but learning

Sharing here because you can choose to ignore it if you want instead of inflicting my yammering on the people I know IRL that are too nice to walk away

So I'd already decided to start Atkins yesterday, ate through all the carbs in the house, stocked up the fridge with good stuff...and came down with some sort of mutant flu. I decided to go ahead with it anyway since I've heard the first few days of the diet you can feel pretty rough, so why not get it all over with at once and feel really bad for a week instead of not so great for two.

Anyway, except for forgetting some of my planned snacks, I thought yesterday was going fine...until I realized I was looking at the sugar free cough drops and picked up the regular ones instead (I wouldn't have bothered, but it sounds like I have kennel cough, lol). THEN I realized that I never put a plan in place for what I'd do if I had to work late - and I had to work late. I stopped by McDonalds with the intention of getting a burger with no ketchup and a side salad, and giving the bun to the dog. When I got home, though, there were also fries in the bag and I'd already coated the salad in ranch dressing before I realized whatever brand they use was a lot higher in carbs than I expected it to be. At this point, I gave up, ate everything in the bag and went to bed. Started over this morning and it's going much better. I have to cook tonight and plan to bring a serving in to work and freeze it for emergencies.

I DID manage to drink twice as much water as I normally do yesterday and spent a lot of time running back and forth to the bathroom, which was reflected on the scale this morning (-2lbs) and helped me understand just how important staying well hydrated is. I'm not a huge fan of drinking water and just don't usually do it like I should.
mcflubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

You learn from your mistakes and it gets easier over time

Congrats on starting, hope to see more of you and hear abput future losses
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #3  
Idaho

Height: 5'7"

Mcflubber - can TOTALLY relate. Today is my first day of Induction. I thought I had planned and prepared so well! I had to walk to the grocery store at lunch to get an Atkins friendly snack in case I have to work late.

We'll get the hang of this!
selway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/222/160

Height: 5'5.5

Welcome! You've made a great start and like Steph says, it'll get easier over time. It's good practice learning how you'll deal with making mistakes
AnaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #5  

Thanks! And Selway - good on you for going out and getting something! Dropped another 1.8 pounds as of this morning. I know they don't recommend weighing daily, but I really need the quick feedback to stay engaged.

Right now, I'd yank out my eye teeth for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I'm going to eat a few pieces of turkey pepperoni and try not to think about it
Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #6  
Idaho

Mcflubber - another 1.8 lbs, overnight? I said I wasn't going to weigh myself until the 7th day, but I panicked this morning when my pants felt tighter than they did last week and jumped on the scale. I've lost 2 lbs in 2 days. I honestly was hoping for more since I have been following the diet to a "T" and have been exercising like crazy, but oh well. May I ask what day of Induction you are on? Are you counting calories too - or just following the plan? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure that I am doing the best I can for the most success. Have a great day and fantastic job on your diet!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #7  

2 in 2 days! That's great!

I dropped another last night for a total of 4.6 - my niece is on the diet with me and has dropped almost 8 pounds. We both started on Monday, so just wrapping up day 4. I'll be honest, I've not exactly been following the diet to the letter. This mutant lung thing has turned into bronchitis, and by the time I stumble in at night I'm not as careful with my food as I should be. I ate a biscuit last night 0_0. As for the gym, that hasn't happened all week either (it's pretty much all I can do to breathe). I haven't been counting calories, but did plug my meals into FitDay a couple of times and I haven't gone over 2000. It just seems impossible to go any higher and stay within the prescribed carb count without sucking butter through a straw

I see your ticker says you've already dropped 67 pounds - how'd you do that? I'm always so impressed when I see numbers like those.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

mcflubber, I like to weigh daily because I log all the food I eat. I journal my weight that morning and then I can see what slows me down. If you're okay with it then it's fine!

In 9 days I'm down 5 and a half lbs, keep in mind the losses will slow over time but the beginning is definitely fun because it melts off. After I had been on Atkins a month or so it was a pound and a half a week. I took a break so it's slipping off again (not recommended, I'm losing what I gained!)
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #9  
Idaho

Stephanie, I'm not going to make it much longer without the scale! I already hopped on once to check. Also, I log all food and exercise and like to track how changes impact weight loss- a higher calorie vs lower calorie day, etc. I was going to try and not let the scale impact my mood - but I just need to think of it as research!

Mcflubber, I started really high, so that first 65 came off quickly (13 weeks). I was doing great, but then stalled. I've just read that a real stall is 4 weeks without weight loss, but it was sooooo frustrating. I tried less exercise, double workouts, triple workouts....
My diet was 1200ish calories, high protein, lowish carbs, lowish sugar. It was the Metabolic Research Center's Meta Slim program menu. It does work, but I am so desperate and determined to get this weight off that I decided to switch things up. I hope you get feeling better soon!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #10  
Idaho

Stephanie, I'm not going to make it much longer without the scale! I already hopped on once to check. Also, I log all food and exercise and like to track how changes impact weight loss- a higher calorie vs lower calorie day, etc. I was going to try and not let the scale impact my mood - but I just need to think of it as research!

Mcflubber, I started really high, so that first 65 came off quickly (13 weeks). I was doing great, but then stalled. I've just read that a real stall is 4 weeks without weight loss, but it was sooooo frustrating. I tried less exercise, double workouts, triple workouts, increasing calories, etc.
My diet was 1200ish calories, high protein, lowish carbs, lowish sugar. It was the Metabolic Research Center's Meta Slim program menu. It does work, but I am so desperate and determined to get this weight off that I decided to switch things up. I hope you get feeling better soon!