Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

Thumbs up So Grateful for Atkins

I was an after-school binge eater, who was rapidly gaining weight. At 16 I weighed 240 lbs, and after being told I was pre-diabetic, decided to make a change. My grandmother and mother lost a lot of weight on Atkins, so I decided to give it a try.

I lost my 1st 20lbs in just 2 months. I felt terrific being on Atkins, but I was unable to continue, because at that point in my life I began to move around from place to place. I had no choice but to eat whatever was available. I was lucky enough to continue losing weight that way, although it wasn't healthy.

I have since gotten back on my feet, and groceries are no problem. So I decided I would try calorie counting, since I was too embarrassed to go back on Atkins and have to explain it to my boyfriend. But then the binging happened again. I don't know if it's a result of how I used to cope with stress earlier in high school, or if it's because food wasn't always available to me later on. But I was eating 3000-4000 calories on one day, and 500-1000 calories the next.

So I decided to give dear old Atkins another try, and I'm on my 9th day of induction -- BINGE FREE. I am so relieved that I've gained control again, that I don't have to deal with the shame, or the physical pain in my stomach and back, the grogginess, etc.

I'm sticking with Atkins for life.
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Ramra, I totally understand! I feel weird explaining that I'm on Atkins to people because there are so many negative connotations with it.

I also find when I'm on Atkins I don't binge either, I don't get those crazy cravings or feel like I need to eat constantly.

Congratulations on getting back to it I think it's such a great diet and I love how you can add stuff back in the later phases. I've had good success with it too when I was stuck with my weight. My first week on induction this time I've lost 6 lbs already.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/222/160

Height: 5'5.5

Good for you Ramra, getting a grip on this so early. I was an after school binge eater too... and I took more than a decade to get a grip on my bingeing behaviour. I'm really glad for you that you've discovered low carb so young.

Do you find you binge if you go back to eating higher carbs? That's been my experience, and I've gone on and off low carb as a result. Maybe other people can have 'just a bite' and do ok, but for me it sets off weeks of bingeing and it's not worth it. I find that knowledge empowering. Not bingeing is great!!
AnaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 350+/341/199

Height: 5'9"

Ramra, I too was an after school binge eater. My Mom would make me hurry home from school and call her at work to tell her I'm home. Every time I'd call, she'd cheerfully say this line: "do your homework, and then do your home work." Meaning get all my homework done quick so I could clean the house. I resented it. I wanted to join the soccer team, drama club, any kind of after school activity, but Mom wouldn't let me. It hurt my social life, and I filled the void by eating eating eating.

A stack of peanut butter sandwiches, several frozen burritos, sleeves of crackers or cookies, bags of chips, half tubs or more of ice cream, entire box of Suddenly Pasta Salad or Kraft mac and cheese, an entire box of Little Debbie snack cakes; when I had some extra money I'd get a meal or two worth of McDonald's on the walk home or call and order a large pizza.

I'd often eat until I was drowsy and lethargic, stomach in pain, then have to force myself and struggle to get enough cleaning done to pass inspection when she got home. Then I'd make dinner and I'd eat again! I never ate breakfast, and rarely ate lunch at school, just maybe a bottle of water or a diet soda. Like as if people saw me eating they'd realize I was fat, and if I didn't eat in front of others, everything would be cool. This behavior followed me into adulthood and my weight climbed each year. I'd have temporary success with calorie counting, low fat, cabbage soup, Slimfast, or any other diets, but I'd eventually have a binge, lose motivation and return to my old ways. I've been on Atkins for 3 weeks with NO BINGES and it feels like a miracle. I've lost a good chunk of weight already and I am loving it. It's easy to follow, I don't get hungry, I get plenty to eat and the urge to binge has vanished.

Atkins is my way of life now and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by Atkins loser STL; 02-22-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Atkins loser STL is offline   Reply With Quote