Old 11-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #1  

Smile What is a typical days eating for stage 1 atkins?

Hi all,

I'm starting atkins tomorrow, sticking 100% to the plan but i'm a bit overwhelmed by what you can eat.

So for those who stick completely to the diet and don't have the bars, shakes etc can you please post a typical days eating for stage 1?.

Thanks!.
Reindeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

to Atkins!
The most critical tool of doing Atkins is reading the book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior editions) before starting the plan so you understand exactly how & why this plan works.
Atkins Induction consists of 20 net carbs a day (net carbs are total carbs minus dietary fiber) of foods on the acceptable foods list only. While doing Induction, 12 - 15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming from veggies & salads.

A typical day of Induction for me pretty much looks like this:

Breakfast: 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, 3 Slices Bacon, 1 Cheese Stick (Mozzarella or Cheddar). I've also been known to put Mayo on my Eggs & Bacon

Lunch: A big Salad with plenty of veggies (Broccoli, Green Beans, Red or Green Pepper, Red Cabbage) and Grilled Chicken or Tuna, Full Fat Ranch Dressing.

Dinner: Beef, Chicken, Fish or Pork with veggies (Butter added), side Salad with Full Fat Dressing.

Be sure you are drinking plenty of water.

I hope this helps!

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 11-25-2011 at 07:24 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #3  

Thanks! That's a great help to see it in a menu. I did really well on day 1, actually had a hard time fitting in dinner and had to make myself eat it!.

Can I ask since you have done so well on atkins, how long did you stay on stage 1 for?. I have about 100 pounds to lose and from what the site says you shouldn't leave induction unless you are bored of the foods or within 15 pounds of your goal weight.
Reindeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reindeers View Post
Can I ask since you have done so well on atkins, how long did you stay on stage 1 for?. I have about 100 pounds to lose and from what the site says you shouldn't leave induction unless you are bored of the foods or within 15 pounds of your goal weight.
Everyone is different and loses or maintains at different carb levels. That being said, I stayed on Induction for close to a year. While I have added other foods, I still keep my carb level on the low end and try to stick mainly to meats, salads and green veggies. But, like I said, everyone is different
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #5  

Hey! You can do it!!! I've been on/off atkins for a few months now but I've had some problems arise so I haven't been able to stick to it 100% but I love the diet and it works so well with me. I agree with jerseygryl completely! READ THE BOOK but more importantly, know whats going on in your body. I took a chemistry class while starting atkins and we went over metabolism. Our bodies were made to eat like this Whatever I was putting in my body, I knew how it would convert.. I guess it was almost a "turn off" to some foods for me. My daily menu looks about the same also, eggs and bacon.. cheese sticks, chicken/beef with veggies and real butter! Yumm.
Heres some more tips: Look up Lindas low carb recipes, she has amazing recipes! I also read "low carb friends" forum. Check your labels for food(DON'T assume!)I know the first few days suck, but they will be over soon! Most importantly- stay positive!! You can do it!!!

Looks like I wrote a novel!
-Megan
meganb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/225/180

Height: 5'3

I have only been doing it for 3 weeks and so far I been on induction and plan to stay on it at least till I get bored but so far I haven't had any problems with what to eat so jerseygryl is right, everyone is different and you have to find what works for you...GOOD LUCK
LaCreadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 350+/341/199

Height: 5'9"

I am not much of a breakfast eater and I HATE eggs. A typical day for me would be:

Breakfast: 2 turkey sausage patties or equivalent amount of leftover meat or cold cuts labeled at 0-1g per serving and sometimes also a string cheese. When I am in a rush or just wanting chocolate I will drink an Atkins shake that has 6g, but I count all carbs, not net carbs, so a shake is not always something I want to budget into my 20g.

Lunch: Enough packaged lettuce mix or baby spinach to cover a dinner plate generously and topped with leftover meats, or a can of tuna in oil, or cold cuts and either Marie's Chunky Blue Cheese dressing or Zia's sugar free Sweet Italian dressing; these are both labeled 0g per serving. If I use much more than 2T, I count it as 1 or even 2g.

Dinner: Large chicken breast/piece of salmon/steak and steamed broccoli or cauliflower with butter or cheddar cheese I've grated from block. Sometimes I will have a side salad or sauteed mushrooms with dinner as well. I always marinate and grill the chicken, brush a bit of dijon mustard on the salmon, and melt blue cheese on the steak and use plenty of olive oil in cooking everything.

2-4 snacks of any of the following: ham roll ups (rectangular ham slices spread thinly with neufchatel and rolled around 4 green olives, sliced into 4 pieces and put on picks) turkey pepperoni slices, pork rinds, parmesan crisps, pickle spears, sugar free jello, real whipped cream sweetened with sucralose, fresh jalapenos stuffed with cheese and topped with bacon and baked, leftover meats.

I don't drink coffee, but I do drink a lot of unsweetened iced tea, decaf when I can control it.

I've been maintaining around 1800 calories and 15-20g carbohydrates. Twice I've had excursions to 22 and 23g but wasn't too upset as those days were higher in fiber than others.

Last edited by Atkins loser STL; 02-21-2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
Atkins loser STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I am allergic to eggs in their natural form so a typical day look like....
some kind of lean meat for breakfast or a salad like tuna or romaine. Spinach and romaine salad usually with chicken or bacon bits for lunch plus lots of veggies in it.
Dinner is usually a lean meat but will do other proteins to and two different veggies.

This is induction for me. Lots of veggies lil cheese lots of lean protein. I get a lot of my fat from coconut oil, evoo, butter, homemade ranch (lower carb this way) and mayo usually.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote