Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #1  

Default How to add fat?

I know on Atkins, fats are important but I'm not a huge mayo/cream eater so i'm wondering how I can incorporate this into induction?
Xtremesteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Cooking things with butter and olive oil is one way and eating all the full fat cheese Atkins allows (4 or 5 ounces) is another.
Have you read the book or even just did the online 'classes' they have for free on their website? They might have more ideas there.
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #3  

Thanks! I read the book quite a while ago...I lost the majority of my weight with low carb but I got away from it. I've realized it's really the only thing that's worked for me and I still have some pounds to lose. I've been reading the website to re-inform myself about Atkins.
Xtremesteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/tkr/195

Height: 5'9"

For general health, I'd avoid saturated and trans fats. THings like butter, cheese, cream, eggs, chicken skin, red meat, and whole milk should be enjoyed with moderation. Trans-fat should be limited (cookies, crackers, donuts, fried foods, fast food, muffins, shortening).

For a healthier option, look for sources of mono- and poly-unsaturated fats. Foods like Olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, avocados, poultry, all kinds of nuts, peanut butter, almond butter, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, pinenuts, soybeans, Fatty-cold-water fish (such as tuna, salmon, mackerel and herring), ground flaxseed and/or flax oil.
Jen516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #5  
Keepin' on keepin' on...

S/C/G: 155/141.4/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I add coconut oil to my morning Muffin in a Minute, and sometimes to my coffee. It's a healthy fat and tastes very good
Jennifermcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

I don't use dressings on salad -- I use sunflower oil along with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper. And of course when I cook other things, I use oil to keep it from sticking to the pan! Especially when making anything roasted I coat it in oil or butter. Oh, and I use heavy cream in my coffee! Lots of fat there! But I try to not over-do and spread it throughout the day.
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #7  

Coconut oil is a great way to add fat. It has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties to it too. I using it for frying meat and also use some in my coffee. It's a "good" fat
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #8  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Olive oil on my salad...with a little bit of ground flax seeds. Cheeses. I still drink coffee, so add heavy cream to it. I'll stir fry veggies with meat in olive oil and have the salad on the side, so I'm getting it from multiple sources. Sugar free jello...add cream and use the mixer to make something semi-palatable.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote