Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Dragonfly-I have PCOS too. I am on metformin for it. I didn't take it today in case that was what was making me sick since the metformin is supposed to regulate insulin or something and if i wasn't eating carbs i might not need it.

I kind of cheated today. I was just feeling so sick i thought I'd try some almonds. I have raw almonds in my desk at work. I had 10 which is only one net carb but I know nuts aren't allowed in induction. That made me feel better for an hr or so but then I felt awful again. I had a cheese stick and my stomach complained. I'm now trying to eat my lunch (which is dinner leftovers). I am really trying to get through this but I don't know if i can do it. I constantly feel like I want to throw up and I'm hungry but all foods I can eat make me sick just thinking about them. i don't know what my problem is. I used to LOVE eggs, cheese, broccoli, chicken, bacon, etc. Now they are all hard to swallow. I thought Atkins would be perfect.

I just hope this passes soon.
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #62  
Started 1/31/11

S/C/G: 268.8/258/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethG View Post
Well last night it was hard to sleep because i kept feeling like I was going to throw up. This morning I woke up feeling sick still but starving. The thought of eggs made me want to throw up even more though. So I had some bacon and a slice of cheese. I still felt sick but then I brushed my teeth and I am feeling somewhat better. It is just unnatural for me to eat this kind of stuff when I feel queasy. I am used to toast or crackers or something when my stomach is upset. Meanwhile, I am down to 197.6 which is somewhat surprising since generally my weight doesn't go down until AFTER aunt flow leaves and she's still here. But I know that's mainly water. I did drink alot of water last night. That seemed to help too.

Oh well. Here is hoping for a better day today!

I went through the wanting to throw up phase too. Just stick with it, it gets better on day 3 or 4. I equated it to the withdrawals a drug addict might go through. It is a whole body experience to withdraw from carbs but once it is done you feel amazing! Don't cheat. The Atkins book says to have a small serving of berries if it is truly unbearable. Or makes sure your are getting enough salt.
CAMom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #63  
Started 1/31/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethG View Post
Well, I am starting induction TODAY!!! I got a start weight but it is my time of the month so I am naturally up several pounds so I am unsure I should even count it. It would make my induction loss more impressive if i used it as my start weight though. lol

Anyway, here is what I've had so far and what I am planning for lunch and dinner:
Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with real bacon bits and a sprinkle of shredded cheese (2.5 carbs if u count the egg carbs and a half a carb for the shredded cheese, i had less than a serving and serving says <1g)
snack - cheese stick (0 carbs)
Lunch - chunk light tuna in water (big can) with 2 tbsp light mayo (we are out of regular, so 2 carbs for the mayo)
Dinner - spinach salad with real bacon bits and ranch dressing (2.5 carbs) and chicken breasts and brocolli (3 carbs)

Total 10 carbs but i don't know how i will prepare things just yet and my serving sizes are estimates. Also I chew sugar free gum which if you subtract sugar alcohols its 0 carbs but if you dont it has carbs so I am unsure what to do there.

Thoughts on my menu?

Thank you!
I think you need more fat. Read the fat is your friend chapter again. It was hard for me to accept but slowly I am. Fat is your friend
Old 02-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #64  
Ready to get to my goal!

S/C/G: 221/172/130

Height: 5'5

I have been back on Induction since Monday. I feel great. Today I made turkey taco salad ... it was amazing!!! I started Atkins in 2008, lost 1/2 my weight, and am now back on Induction to lose the rest. Today in the mail I got the New Atkins book that was just published at the 2011 Calorie King carb and fat counter book (if you don't have one IT IS AWESOME!) So I am going to look over those tonight. I already feel like I have shed some weight... things are already looser. I was only doing about 120 carbs a day (unless it was football Sundays, because I had beer those days But then I watched it the rest of the week. I have fluctuated about 6-10 lbs in both directions, but never gained my weight back I can't weight for my first weigh in!

Have any of you tried the new atkins bars/shakes that say they are okay for induction? I talked to a friend who had success with them. The book says to limit them to two or less a day in induction. I got two free ones in the mail. I was craving some sugar yesterday and had the carmel nougat one. SO GOOD! Today I tried the peanut butter one, but ended up throwing it away. So gross. I bought some shakes today they were on sale at walmart. I bought the Royale and the Milk Chocolate (the milk chocolate actually is 6 shakes- 2 free and on sale for 5.46). We will see how those go. I am thinking that here and there, they will be good.

Just an idea, if you haven't looked into them. I know some warn against them, but I am going to trust atkins because it says they are induction friendly.

As for the nuts, I actually saw that the reason they are limited in the first two weeks is because many people can't control their portions in that first period. That's why after two weeks you can introduce them. I think that if you can get the 100 cal packs (the ones I have a 2 carbs) and limit yourself, you can probably do it. But to be safe, I am waiting till week 3!

Today:
Breakfast: turkey with cream cheese rolled up in it (i love the chive cream cheese)
Lunch: cheese stick and 1/2 portion of beef jerky
Dinner: Turkey taco salad (sooooooo good)

Snack will probably be sugar free jello...

Btw, if you haven't bought the latest book, it has GREAT recipes. It is also way more up to date with like soy and tofu stuff. I am going to purchase some almond milk and am pretty excited about it. The old book doesn't list any of this!

Happy low carbin!
kristin

Last edited by chubbywifeyIN; 02-10-2011 at 05:56 PM.
chubbywifeyIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #65  
Started 1/31/11

I like the atkins bars....too much. They give me cravings so I'm not doing them. I do feel it is more important to eat real food instead of processed food even if it is low carb. For my sweet tooth I just discovered the recipe in the new book for the chocolate pudding like dessert. Super yummy!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #66  
Ready to get to my goal!

S/C/G: 221/172/130

Height: 5'5

I just got my new book and I want to try that! Good to know it's good. I have had a bar a day, and it helps my sweet tooth. Which I don't remember having before, lol.
chubbywifeyIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 299/Ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

I am not on metformin right now but I used to take it a few years ago. I am having a physical next week so I will probably be sent for a glucose tolerance test. I will be hesitant to start it now because I am losing weight and I no longer get the shakes and feel weak in between meals. I get bad side effects with it even when on a low carb diet. If my doctor wants me to take it, I will make a deal with him to stay off it for a few months then get retested to see where I am at.

Does anyone have any remedies for water retention besides drinking more water? I thought about green tea but the kind we have here at work has caffiene in it and I already had my one coffee this morning. I am up to 10 cups of water and I am barely going to the washroom I can feel my fingers swelling, scale hasn't moved either but I am on plan 100% besides my 1 cup of coffee.
Dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

CAMom-Which book are you referring too? I read one of the older ones at the library last year and I haven't read the new one yet. I have the first 20 pages or so 'previewed' on my nook but I haven't read it. I need to download all of it and read it. I do use butter alot at dinner.

CAMom - Yes totally drug withdrawals, that's how i have been trying to think of it too. I just hate my tummy feeling bad. It really makes me not want to cheat because I don't want to go back through this again and besides the 10 almonds I haven't cheated (Granted this is day 3...)

Chubbywifey-I too have been having an atkins bar per day which I know is bad and I need to stop not just because its processed but because those things are expensive! Congrats on your loss so far and for maintaining so well! That is awesome! The new book lists almond milk as okay?? I may have to try some of that. I will definitely be downloading the new book and reading it soon.

My queasy feeling has finally ended! Yay! I just have a headache today. I am not eating enough for breakfast and lunch so I'm just starving during the day at work. I need to add something more. I will figure that out this weekend i hope.

Last night I made the best dinner in forever! The chicken parmesan II recipe on genaw's site. SO YUMMY!!! I have leftovers today for lunch. I can't wait!

Net carbs for the Thursday = 11

I am down another 2.2 lbs putting me at 195.4 which is impressive because usually it takes a week or more to get back to 195-197 range and then it starts raising again (i have a stupid short cycle). I hope I get to move my ticker tomorrow! I didn't get any start measurements but I have my last measurements from a few months ago that I will compare to.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 308.8/294.8/???

Dragon - drinking that much water and not using the restroom much make me worry about kidney problems. it could be caused from too much salt, though, too. caffeine is a diuretic and works for me. especially iced tea. You might also try soaking in the tub with bath salts and let osmosis pull some of the water out. I have never tried this myself for water retention, mind you, but it seems like it should work. Good luck!
Elvish Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #70  
Learning and burning

S/C/G: HW350ish/SW290/CWticker/GW165

Height: 5'8'

ElizabethG, I'm glad you are feeling better. That "flu" is not fun!

Dragonfly, I know I really have to watch my salt intake. If I have too much I start swelling up like a balloon. When I started Atkins I was eating a lot of nitrite free hotdogs and canadian bacon. I had to stop eating that stuff altogether because there was just too much salt.
dini22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 299/Ticker/150

I have been watching my salt intake and I don't add salt to anything. I have not had any bacon or anything with high sodium in a few days. I will try the green tea to see if that opens the flood gates LOL! I feel fine other than bloating.

I may see if I can find some bath salts and try that too. If anything, it may relieve some cramps from my TOM.

Thanks for your help ladies!
Dragonfly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 308.8/294.8/???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly33 View Post
I may see if I can find some bath salts and try that too. If anything, it may relieve some cramps from my TOM.
TOM, lol. Well there's the culprit. I feel like a sponge around that time. It's like I can feel my face blowing up like a marshmallow. Well, at least if the other remedies don't help, a couple of days should deflate you!
Elvish Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #73  
Started 1/31/11

Wow, about the salt. I have to add salt to my diet or I get bad leg cramps. Our bodies are all so amazingly different.

So today's my birthday. Not that I like celebrating them anymore but the kids and husband want too. We are going to do it on Sunday since tomorrow is my 8 year olds first dance competition of the year and it will be a long long long did I mention long day. So anyway I have had a planned cheat meal for Sunday, I have been 100% on plan for 13 days and honestly I'm not so sure I want to do it now. We were going to have Chinese and some chocolate cake but I'm not feeling it at the moment. I weigh in on Monday's so I was planning to weigh in on Sunday instead, before the cheat meal. Normally I'd be dying to have a cheat but I so much enjoy how great I feel on induction that I don't want to lose that feeling.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #74  
Started 1/31/11

Elizabeth - I read the new book. I know some people think only the books written by Dr. Atkins are good, but I really liked the book. It let's you have coffee . And you can add nuts after the first 2 weeks. I added them after a few days because I don't have problems with them, I can eat my 22 almonds and be fine. They dont give me cravings and they keep things moving for me. I also really like finding your carb level. I haven't started that yet, am going to do another week or two in induction because I feel safe here. But it all makes sense that my carb threshold might be different than yours or someone elses.

Anyhow, get the book and read it. I downloaded it on my kindle and it was cheaper than the print book.

Last edited by CAMom2011; 02-11-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #75  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

Very frustrated with no weight loss this week. No TOM or anything (that was last week) and I've been on plan. I cheated yesterday and today b/c I was frustrated. I was doing so well, but not losing. I don't know what to do. Ugh.
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote