Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 308.8/294.8/???

Height: 5'3"

Default Storing Produce

Me again. I'm seem to be full of questions today.

How do you all store your salad greens and things? I usually only buy salad stuff on the day we are going to eat it because I just have the worst time keeping it fresh throught the week. Since my bf and I will both be eating the recommended 2 cups a day of salad veggies, I need to be able to buy and keep almost 30 cups of the stuff a week.

Any tips?
Elvish Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #2  

I find romaine lettuce has a long shelf life and and you can just stack it like firewood on the lowest shelf in the fridge (in a plastic bag). Otherwise, everything else seems to do fine in the crispers. Even when I'm lazy and buy the precut, prewashed salad mix it seems to stay fresh for 4-5 days. Maybe you should check the temp in your fridge.
firkindness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

remember that salad veggies include bell pepper, mushrooms, and other non-leafy greens

have you ever tried green bags? They are supposed to work wonders for keeping produce fresh. Otherwise I agree with firkindness, romaine hearts last forever, everything else store air-tight in the crisper drawer.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #4  

My mother pushed a couple of boxes of green bags off on me this past summer. I read a review that said they are a bunch of phooey, but I found strawberries kept very well in them (like 2 weeks). I should dig them out and experiment with them and give a full report on my findings.
firkindness is offline   Reply With Quote