Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Default Chocolate cravings!

Hi everyone,

I had a craving for some kind of snack today, either chocolate or nuts or something, but can't have either. I went to a health food store to see what I could find, and found the best tea ever. It is called Bio Yogi Tee Schoko here, so Organic Yogi Tee Chocolate there maybe? Nicest stuff ever! Made from cocoa shells, and satisfies a sweet tooth with a dash of cream. If you see it, you should try it!

Anyone else got any tips for Atkins-friendly snacks that don't involve cheese, meat or eggs (sick of the sight of them!)

Claire
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I googled "atkins induction snacks" and things came up.

One that caught my eye was lettuce wraps. Lettuce, mustard or mayo, and then meat and cheese- you could do a lot of lettuce and just a tiny bit of cheese and meat.

Or you could do lettuce wraps with tuna inside.

Turnip fries: A low-carb substitute for potato fries. Peel turnips, cut like fries, season with salt, pepper, chili powder, etc. Spread on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil olive. Bake in a 450-degree oven for 30 minutes, turning fries once or twice. About six carbs per medium turnip.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

That tea sounds yummy. I would have a cup of peppermint tea with some cream when my cravings were at their worst.

Any sort of a vegetable makes a great snack... Have you tried kale chips? You lay out bits of kale on a baking sheet and bake them at 350 for 7 minutes, they come out airy and crispy. Delicious!

Not sure you can get any chocolate Induction snack without cheese... In fact I don't think you can legally do chocolate anything on Induction, as even cocoa powder shouldn't be added back in until you get to the nuts & seeds rung of OWL.

Induction is supposed to be where you break your cravings... Perhaps white-knuckling through them for 14 days will be good for you!
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #4  

Yeah I agree, i've got to man up and ignore them! I was just buying some soya flour in the shop and was faced with chocolate covered nuts and soya beans (used to be my favourite snack). I wasn't even hungry, even though it was an hour past lunchtime, and hadn't even thought about them for ages until I saw them.

I just remembered I took my left over aubergine pizza to school for lunch and forgot about it, dug it out of my bag just now so that can be my cardio fuelling snack for later! The lettuce idea sounds good too, I could put tuna mayo in them for lunch!

I'm technically in OWL after one week because I added soft cheese and strawberries. When I lose all the weight I want, and a few more pounds for water weight, I am so treating myself to chocolate covered nuts and seeds once a month or so. Maybe next week I can learn to appreciate nuts without chocolate :=)
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Height: 5'6''

I don't know if it's Atkins legal (I'm a free-lance low carber), but have you tried the "Limited Edition" Chocolate Cool Whip? I've been using a couple of Tbsp of it in a parfait with a half cup of sugar free raspberry Jello for a grand total of 2 carbs and 35 cal. I don't know - probably wouldn't have been terribly impressed with it before the diet when I could reach for Lindor Truffles or a Snickers bar when I wanted chocolate. But today it really hit the spot.

Last edited by llkilgore; 01-18-2011 at 05:10 PM.
llkilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #6  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Llkilgore, chocolate cool whip isn't Atkins Induction legal on so many levels, but it sounds as if it's working for you. My favorite quick chocolate fix is JerseyGyrl's hot chocolate recipe...quick, easy and very chocolate, especially if you use the Hershey's Special Dark cocoa. I'm not sure about the cocoa and Induction - it's probably not strictly Induction either. (The recipe's posted on the "Recipes from 'What's for Dinner?'" thread.)

Thanks for the tip on the tea. I'm becoming a hot tea person in the afternoons and evenings trying to get more of the nasty water down.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 10''

Atkins makes various chocolate bars/cookie/etc. and they are pretty good! I have tried the double chocolate cookie and the peanut butter cup so far. The peanut butter cup is awesome! It seriously tastes like a Reese cup! I don't know if those two are "allowed" on phase one but there are other chocolate breakfast bars that are allowed on all phases. Walmart seems to have the best selection. Good luck!
AngelxxRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #8  

Mmmm I think those Atkins snacks would be the kiss of death for me! I live in Europe and they don't sell them here, which is a shame because I love Reese Cups! If I want low-carb anything, I have to make it myself Next week (when I add nuts and 80/90% chocolate back in), I am going to make those chocolate lava cakes in the Atkins book. I have soya flour at the ready!

Sandy - the tea is really good! I prefer it without the cream I think, then the taste of chocolate comes out. It is sweetened with Stevia leaves. I have added it to my already huge collection of teas (literally a cupboard full). I can't stand black tea, but any other type, mmmm!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #9  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

are atkins bars and drinks allowed on induction?
isn't the new atkins book pushing them?
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

They also make sugar-free Reese's brand peanut butter cups, as well as Jolly Ranchers and a lot of other brands. Be careful with these though, as they contain sugar alcohols. Some people can eat sugar alcohols fine and not stall weight loss, but others stall. You'll have to see what works for you.

The sugar-free Reese's peanut butter cups are phenomenal, by the way. They taste exactly like the real sugar ones.

I would NOT recommend eating these or any other sugar-free candies, especially on Induction.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #11  
Keepin' on keepin' on...

S/C/G: 155/141.4/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I make a 'coconut bark' using a recipe I found online. Coconut oil, cocoa and a few drops of liquid Splenda. Just a taste will satisfy my chocolate cravings. Be warned that, for me at least, coconut oil revs me up and if I eat it in the afternoon my sleep is restless.
Jennifermcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

The Atkins website sells all of their bars online, not sure if they ship internationally but it might be an option especially for induction treats.
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #13  

I also don't have atkins products in my country. And I think some foods can't be shipped internationally.

I'm not so much of a "hardcore atkins dieter", I just count my carbs low enough to lose some weight, though I read the second book when it came out, and followed then. Counting carbs is the only way I can lose some.

I would suggest a low carb chocolate pudding (or something alike, I'm not sure how this would be described in U.S) if your willing to break a few induction rules but still eating low carbs. I'm only trying to help, I'm trying to eat less and less carbs (eating about 50 now). How I wish I could eat atkins bars and such. ^.^ I've seen foods looking so delicious and so low carb online, can you buy any atkins products?

Last edited by Anne333; 01-27-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Anne333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Another option is ordering Da Vinci's or Torani sugar-free syrups (made with Splenda, very low in carbs because it's liquid) and make your own chocolate cheesecakes and other desserts with it...I'm not a big fan of chocolate sugar-free desserts though, they taste kinda strange.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #15  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Despite what Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is printing on those Atkins bars labels, that they are "appropriate for Induction"....keep in mind, that is not what Dr. Atkins said. Those bars contain ingredients like Milk, Soy & Peanuts which are not on the acceptable foods list.
The net carb "calculations" on the front of the label don't add up either
Anyone doing Atkins or contemplating doing Atkins, may want to read this article, its quite an eye-opener:

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php