Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5ft4.5in

Default Stress + Losing weight = ?

I won't go into detail, but I have a lot of emotional stress in my life. I keep wondering if, even if I CAN manage to keep a strict hold of what I eat and stay OP if the stress factor will prevent true weight loss (meaning, I've managed to lose the same 5 pounds for the past few months, it comes and goes, but I can never get below it or break the cycle). What do you all think? I DO know that I feel healthier eating this way, so will not go back to the way I was before. Just needed some input on a crummy day
BrenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I am very stressed right now and I remind myself everytime the binge cravings come on that after the binge I won't feel better. Try to do what you can to destress if possible. Watch a funny movie, knit, crochet, take a bath, read a good book, etc. Just anything if possible to get some relief- even if it's sitting there meditating for a few minutes each day- it really does help
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #3  

I have read different theories on the effects of stress on the body and I can't help but believe that there is connection between how well our bodies function and how mood and emotions may hinder it somewhat.

Are you at a ketogenic level of Atkins? When I am in ketosis, my mood shifts to calm and I begin to be less affected by stress. When I meditate or listen to pleasant music, take hot baths, do relaxing things to help de-stress, I notice that I lose weight a bit more consistently.

Something that many of us have in common is that we tend to stuff down the emotions with food. Learning to sit with the feelings, learning to acknowledge it is happening also help. I will pound my fist or stomp my foot and call it for what it is A NO GOOD DAMNED DAY! lol. It really works. Try it!
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

First of all, of course you can keep control of your weight despite stress! It is more difficult, yes, but it can be done. I really sincerely feel that keto diets like Atkins are our ally in this fight. As martinimouse said, I feel so much more even-keel, level-headed, and just... right... since starting Atkins. I have daily frustrations at work, but instead of digging myself into a sugar coma in response, I find more pleasant ways to distract myself - reading 3fc, for instance.

I am not sure where you are on your journey, but if you are still caught up in the first few days remember it DOES get better and you just have to plow through. I felt pretty crummy for a few days but you come out shining on the other side.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

My life is particularly stressful now, as many people's lives are - almost no one I know's on a picnic. And it's hard not to fall for the temporary, delusional comfort of food, but it's harder to be stressed, miserable AND FAT! So I decided that I was not going to use what we call life as a reason to sabotage myself. That decision has helped me a great deal.

When I'm overwhelmed with stress and worry, I walk the big girl, even if it's cold and gray, read a book, call a friend and make plans to do something, rake my yard and sweep the walk - I never run out of leaves. I even clean out a closet, a drawer. Then I think, at least I accomplished something...and I feel better. Sometimes I do a really hokey thing: I count my blessings - and there are many when I acknowlege them.

So, you have friends here, and we're all rooting for your success and happiness.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5ft4.5in

Thanks everyone. It was just a bad day today. In answer to questions, I'm on week 2 of this WOE. Still having the carb cravings mess w/my head (though I've so far managed to fight them off) though. I did find a couple recipe's I want to try to shake things up from the salads, meat and cheese I've been eating. Still plugging along
BrenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #7  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Well let's see.................This is the day before my period (GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR), my b/f is being a total jerk, my job is insanely demanding, 3 of my 5 dogs were out of their pen when I got home from work today.......sooooo yeah, I'm dealing with ALOT of stress myself. HOWEVER, this will pass. I had to make a last minute dash this evening in the bone- chilling cold air to get some dog food. I heard that wicked little voice telling me "Have some cookies, you'll feel better!" I came v~e~r~y close to buying some, but didn't. With all the stress I'm feeling I could have bought those cookies. But I can tell you right now, I would have probaly ate half the package because I"M STRESSED Anyways, I made it home and now I am going to soak in the hottest water possible.
HANG IN THERE....you'll be fine
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 217.5/201/160

Height: 5'4"

This too shall pass, isn't that what they always say? Stress is a part of life and along with the weight loss journey we need to find what works best for us, to get our lives back on track. For me, anyway, the added weight and unhealthy lifestyle contributed to my stress. I am doing something about it, one step at a time. Be strong my friend, you will make it through.
amberbrown is offline   Reply With Quote