Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/184/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Pumpkins Seeds

I'm trying to figure out which nutritional label is sound. Calorieking.com says they have 15 carbs per serving, but it didn't list any fiber content. I looked at Spitz Brand pumpkin seeds, that has 8 carbs listed with 8g fiber. I made my own from the pumpkins from Halloween. Which should I go by?

I am in my second week of Induction and SERIOUSLY craving a salty crunchy snack. I know other nuts are off limits right now.

TBH right now I am doing all I can to NOT eat my kids Halloween candy. The pumpkin seed would probably be a better alternative. AAHH I'm just going insane! lol
shelle58704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #2  
Ms. Fat Smasher

S/C/G: 338/329/175

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelle58704 View Post
I'm trying to figure out which nutritional label is sound. Calorieking.com says they have 15 carbs per serving, but it didn't list any fiber content. I looked at Spitz Brand pumpkin seeds, that has 8 carbs listed with 8g fiber. I made my own from the pumpkins from Halloween. Which should I go by?

I am in my second week of Induction and SERIOUSLY craving a salty crunchy snack. I know other nuts are off limits right now.

TBH right now I am doing all I can to NOT eat my kids Halloween candy. The pumpkin seed would probably be a better alternative. AAHH I'm just going insane! lol
Hi there,

I don't believe nuts and seeds are permitted during the induction phase. Do you like pork rinds? They have many different flavors (BBQ, Salt & Vinegar, Hot & Spicy) that should cure your "salt tooth"...or try eating some cheese chips or pickles.

I also tried mixing melted butter, cinnamon and splenda on plain pork rinds....it tastes like those crunchy cinnamon twists from Taco Bell. Kind of like a sweet/salty flavor to them. Very good induction snack!

Last edited by fatklr; 11-04-2010 at 12:49 PM.
fatklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #3  

Can't say I've ever tried them. They look to have the same texture of Funions, right? I may have to try them. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #4  
Ms. Fat Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelle58704 View Post
Can't say I've ever tried them. They look to have the same texture of Funions, right? I may have to try them. Thank you!
Yep, just about the same texture of funions. They're a good snack...just treat them like potato chips. Sometimes I make a dip out of salmon and cream cheese and dip them in it. Delicious!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #5  
Haters gonna hate

S/C/G: 187.5/175.2/140

Height: 5'3

pork rinds and the cheese "chips" crisps have been my go-to snack on induction.

cheese crisps are just made from one slice of deluxe cheese and pop it in the microwave for 65 sec. (it's easier than popping a bag of popcorn!)

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheezits.html
SunnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #6  
Haters gonna hate

S/C/G: 187.5/175.2/140

Height: 5'3

here's the cheese cracker thread

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atki...rackers-2.html
SunnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #7  

Those cheese things don't look all that appetizing . . . But I'll try anything at least once. Going shopping tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #8  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

The cheese chips are really good. I have been putting different things on mine before cooking. Some will have pepper and Mrs. Dash original seasoning, others might have the powder Hidden Valley Ranch mix seasoning w/pepper, some might have chili, onion, & garlic powder w/pepper. I just kinda mix and match. I make some a little more crunchy with garlic and pepper to use as croutons with my salads. I'm not much of a salt person, but even if you decide to make these, you might want to go easy on the salt as the cheese has quite a bit of sodium already
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #9  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

It seems that pumpkin seeds might have lots of carbs. The site, Nutritiondata, lists 64 grams (2.26 oz.) of fresh roasted pumpkin seeds at 34 carbs, no fiber. The pie chart shows it at 50% carbs. I guess that's why they're not on Induction.

I vote for pork rinds or the cheezits recipe as salty, crunchy. You might also try the cheese crisps recipe from Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes...big and crispy. If you use a good quality cheddar cheese for the crisps, you don't need to add salt. You can use other cheeses too for a different taste.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #10  
Ms. Fat Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
It seems that pumpkin seeds might have lots of carbs. The site, Nutritiondata, lists 64 grams (2.26 oz.) of fresh roasted pumpkin seeds at 34 carbs, no fiber. The pie chart shows it at 50% carbs. I guess that's why they're not on Induction.

I vote for pork rinds or the cheezits recipe as salty, crunchy. You might also try the cheese crisps recipe from Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes...big and crispy. If you use a good quality cheddar cheese for the crisps, you don't need to add salt. You can use other cheeses too for a different taste.
For the cheese crisps, I like using real cheeses vs the american cheese, only because it's too mild for me. I tried cheddar, which worked...and monterey jack, which didn't. I want to try pepper jack but I'm afraid to ruin the cheese. Do you know from experience which cheeses do well and which don't?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #11  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Sorry, I've only used cheddar cheese (grated from a block of cheese) for the crisps recipe. I also have only used the Deluxe American slices for the cheezits recipes. I did see flavored Deluxe American slices in the grocery, but didn't try them - pricey. These are two different recipes; they make two different snacks in texture and taste. Enjoy.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheezits.html

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheese_crisp.html
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote