3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters > Atkins

Low Carb and exercise

Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

S/C/G: 241/194/160

Default Low Carb and exercise

I attend a bootcamp type exercise class 3 times a week. They last an hour and they are tough .....

My problem is that I burn out mid-way through the class and I have a pretty good idea its because I am not eating very many carbs which is what the body needs to do an extended period of exercise. I know that fat will also burn but I also know that its the carbs that give you the staying power as they burn quicker and are a more efficient energy source for the body.

So .... do any of you have the same problem?? I know that if my exercise for the day is a long walk then I am ok, the carbs don't play such an important role ...but for the fast and hard exercise I don't know what to do.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

You might be needing some extra protein in your diet. Perhaps consider some protein supplements to keep you burning fat, and not muscle, while you are in workout mode!

Am back for Round 2, beginning 3/7.
Not until you push yourself to the limit and then past that, will you begin to realize "exactly what" you are capable of handling physically & mentally. Yes it's scary, hard, & exhausting. But, when you challenge yourself & strive to work harder than you ever have at the beginning of each day, when you finally stop to ....rest, you'll be more positive than anxious about your future!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #3

S/C/G: 241/194/160

I have a high protein diet ..... its the fact that carbs turn to available glucose for your muscles that makes them so important for the exercise. Protein will also burn of course, but it takes much longer exercise to access protein into the sugars.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #4

Height: 5'5"

Shells - 20 carbs is for those on moderate exercise. If you are doing extreme (boot camp) you may need more.

A thought is to try a 15 carb bfast on those days before your bootcamp and then eat light the rest of the day?

I will not let stress, unexpected surprises, or lack of planning derail my plans to be the best, most fit, healthiest me.

Mini Goal 148 - no longer overweight BMI

Halloween Challenge 147.5lbs
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Try a pre workout shake consiting of (ideally) 30g High GI carbs and 15 g protein

"All the Secrets of your foundation shall come to light.... and when you lie, uprooted and broken in the sun, then shall your lies also be separated from your truths" Nietzche

"I do not workout. I TRAIN.
I do not eat. I FEED.
I do not sleep. I RECHARGE.
My greatest fear in this life is the fear of being ordinary
."
Personal Bests

MARATHON- 3:58
10K- 44:42
1/2 Marathon - 1:50:48
5 miles - 36:12
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw179/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I also wonder about fat content. Over time, with enough fat intake, you burn fat more efficiently. But lots of us don't actually get enough fat. I feel much better since I upped my fat at jerseygirl's suggestion. I have more "staying" power, and don't burn out as fast. Don't exercise as intensely as you right now though. WHen I was quite intense during cross-country ski season last winter, I did eat more carbs, about 40g/day.

zen and the art of weight loss, finding the true path of en-lighten-ment

fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.