3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Headaches and Atkins? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/215389-headaches-atkins.html)

fatklr 10-21-2010 09:27 AM

Headaches and Atkins?

This is week 2 for me and I'm experiencing some SERIOUS headaches! I read the book and it said that I may have headaches during the the first week due to my body adjusting to induction, but this is going on the 3rd week! Has anybody else had issues with horrible headaches on induction?

readyfreddy 10-21-2010 12:59 PM

Not horrible but yes. Try having some salt. Chicken broth is good. I also have a cup of coffee/tea (the caffine helps) but that is technically not permitted.

You can get headaches from an electrolyte imbalance (losing to fast), so salt is really the first thing I'd try.

islandchick1 10-21-2010 01:36 PM

If you had been drinking anything with caffiene and then stopped to go on Atkins you are having withdrawal headaches. Also something as simple as Splenda or other sweetners can set off migrains for me. I made that mock danish yesterday using a tiny (1 tsp) amount of splenda and I am suffering for it today :headache:
If you're only drinking water it should level off before too long. Hang in there! It will get better :)

fatklr 10-21-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandchick1 (Post 3532053)
If you had been drinking anything with caffiene and then stopped to go on Atkins you are having withdrawal headaches. Also something as simple as Splenda or other sweetners can set off migrains for me. I made that mock danish yesterday using a tiny (1 tsp) amount of splenda and I am suffering for it today :headache:
If you're only drinking water it should level off before too long. Hang in there! It will get better :)

That's funny, because I made the mock danish on Monday and that's when my headaches started!

StephanieM 10-21-2010 10:08 PM

I still get them here or there, not as common as the first week. I'm not sure what fixes it for me because I do a couple things, have more salt, drink water, and take some aspirin.

SaskNewfie 09-20-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readyfreddy (Post 3531996)
Not horrible but yes. Try having some salt.

I noticed this time round that I'm having persistent and nagging headaches...not painful, but nagging. They're just enough to make you feel tired.

When you say having salt, do you mean simply adding an extra shake or two to a meal?

SaskNewfie 09-21-2011 01:02 PM

Well, I tried it last night after posting this. I added a couple shakes to a glass of water and sure enough, it worked...unless it was a coincidence of some sort.

GinaXOXO 09-22-2011 09:59 AM

Salt does work. I use sea salt, about 1/2 teaspoon, and a full glass of water. I am glad it worked for you.

SaskNewfie 09-22-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaXOXO (Post 4042760)
Salt does work. I use sea salt, about 1/2 teaspoon, and a full glass of water. I am glad it worked for you.

Thanks...how often would you use it?