Old 10-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #1  
Sherri Lynn

S/C/G: 255/240/140

Height: 5'4"

Default New to Atkins with questions

I have a lot of weight to lose and want to give Atkins a try, but I have a couple of questions. I thought I read somewhere that the carb and sugar cravings would eventually go away when following Atkins. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, how long does it take? My second question is about maintenance. Has anyone ever followed a different plan once getting to maintenance? Such as counting calories.....just thinking it might be healthier to give up so much fat once I reach maintenance.
Thanks to all,
Sherri
sd0198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd0198 View Post
I have a lot of weight to lose and want to give Atkins a try, but I have a couple of questions. I thought I read somewhere that the carb and sugar cravings would eventually go away when following Atkins. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, how long does it take? My second question is about maintenance. Has anyone ever followed a different plan once getting to maintenance? Such as counting calories.....just thinking it might be healthier to give up so much fat once I reach maintenance.
Thanks to all,
Sherri
Eating a lot of fat on Atkins is actually healthier than you would think. By cutting carbs and eating fat, your body will learn to burn the fat and you will feel great and energetic. Yes, the cravings go away. It happens very quickly, during Induction. People who have a lot of weight to lose like myself tend to stick to Induction until they are nearing their goal or reach their goal, then you start incorporating more carbs into your meals at a slow place to find the right level of carbs for you to maintain your weight. Switching from low-carb to calorie counting might not be a good idea as people who start eating carbs without slowly putting them back into their diet tend to gain weight.

I'm sure more people on this board can give you more insight, but I suggest reading JerseyGyrl's posts at the top of the board as well as the Atkins book.

Last edited by Linsy; 10-17-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

It helps a lot, I forget about carbs and sweet stuff sometimes.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd0198 View Post
Thanks to all,
Sherri
Sherri & Welcome to Atkins!

Your decision to give Atkins a try in my opinion, is a very wise one. Done correctly, Atkins works. I'm living proof of that

The most important part of Atkins, which I can not stress enough, is reading the book before you begin the plan. This is essential to understanding the plan & how to do it correctly. There is no substitution for Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 or prior versions.

To answer your questions, yes, sugar cravings do subside when doing Atkins That is basically the purpose of Induction, to "wean & detox" your body of sugar. It is critically important to do Induction by the book, meaning 20 net carbs per day of foods on the acceptable foods list only, with 12-15 of those 20 carbs coming from veggies & salads.

Fat is not the enemy. You may want to read a book called Good Calories Bad Calories By Gary Taubes, it will help you to understand a good deal of misconceptions we've been conditioned to believe concerning fat.

I hope this helps

You CAN do this!

All the best to you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Eating Atkins does take the sugar cravings away, but it might take a week or two. It takes me about four or five days to get over the sugar. Sugar and white flour are the two things I know I should never eat again. They are metabolic and emotional triggers for me; I simply want more an hour after I've eaten them - a sure signal that my body doesn't handle them in a healthy way.

Good luck to you!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #6  
Sherri Lynn

S/C/G: 255/240/140

Height: 5'4"

Thank you everyone! I have ordered the book and should be receiving it anyday now! Can't wait to get started!
sd0198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #7  
I know I can,I know I can

S/C/G: 293/161/145

Height: 5.4

So glad your jumping on Atlins with us... I started Nov. 1st 2010... before then I was a toal coke a holic.... like 2 2litres a day and I loved candy & bread..... don't miss and of them or crave them.... FROM THE START.... and I already lost 14.4 lbs.
you go girl you will be amazed... I weight myself every morning as soon i have my morning washroom (pee) hey thats a faw more ounces gone...lol

I look forward to it everyday now....

Oh_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote