Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #106  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Sophia Loren Chicken

A recipe from 500 More Low-Carb Recipes By Dana Carpender

Sophia Loren Chicken *

Cut 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 lbs.) into finger-sized pieces. Set aside (wash your hands!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine 1 Cup (150 g) grated parmesan cheese (the canned kind) with 2 T. (8 g) dried parsley, 1 T. (3 g) dried oregano, 2 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.

Line a 9" X 13" (22.5 X 32.5 cm) baking pan with foil.

Combine 1/2 Cup (120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil and 6 cloves minced garlic in another bowl. Dip each chicken finger in the olive oil, roll in the cheese/seasoning mixture, and arrange in the foil-lined pan.

Bake for 30 - 45 minutes. After removing from the oven, place the chicken fingers in shallow dish and pour hot sauce over chicken, thoroughly coating each piece. Grab a handful of napkins and enjoy.

Makes 6 servings, each with 364 calories; 24 g fat; 33 g protein; 3 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber; 2 g usable carbs.

This note from Suzann.com: I have made this twice now. The first time, I didn't have any grated parmesan cheese, so I just used regular shredded cheese, and it worked fine. Both times, I needed twice as much cheese, spices, and olive oil than they specified here, and I had LESS chicken! So make sure you have enough of everything to double it if needed.

I didn't want it as messy or spicy, so I left off the hot sauce and it was still delicious.

I don't know why it says 45 minutes because it's done long before that (I may have a fast oven). You want to check a few pieces to make sure they are done and no longer pink, and cooked through, but you really don't want to over-bake them so they come out dry.

This was really delicious with the Fauxtatoes recipe...the oil and spices makes a kind of sauce that was great over them.

Let me know if you make it and like it!

I'm allergic to flour, so this is much better than the kind with bread crumbs.
low carb, gluten free

Source: This recipe is from Suzann.com
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #107  
Less Juicey

Default Sophia Loren Chicken - Arkansas Kel

This is from Dana Carpender's cookbook. "It's hot, spicy, and Italian." Arkansas Kel shares her version:

Sophia Loren Chicken (Arkansas Kel's version)

3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch fingers or cut into some longer pieces
1 1/2 c. cheap parmesan cheese (the finely ground kind in a can)
2 tbs dried parsley
1 tbs dried oregano
2 tsp dried paprika
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 c. EVOO
6 cloves garlic, minced ( Run them through the mini- blender with the EVOO)
1 c. hot sauce (Serve on the side for dipping or omit entirely)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix garlic/EVOO. Add the chicken to the mixture; coat chicken with garlic/EVOO. (You may want to do this the night before and refrigerate until ready to use). Mix cheese and spices in bowl. Dip chicken in cheese mix. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken fingers on baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.

Pour the hot sauce over them or serve on the side.

Approximately 2 net carbs per serving. Serves 6. Chicken fingers are good the second day on a salad.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #108  
Less Juicey

Default Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread

This is delicious on one-minute muffins, OMM people. My daugher, who's not a low-carber (lucky genes) loves it.

8 oz. cream cheese softened
1/4 c. canned pumpkin
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Splenda or Truvia to taste (I use about 2 T.)

Blend all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Enjoy!

Last edited by sandyfanny; 08-01-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #109  
Less Juicey

Default About "Recipes from 'What's for Dinner?"

About "Recipes from 'What's for Dinner?'"
Please don't post recipes on this thread. It's great to share them, but please post your recipes on the "What's for Dinner?" thread. If you'll do that, I can get rid of signatures, weight trackers, avatars and other information I'd rather not have on the thread.

For purely selfish reasons, I want the "Recipes from "What's for Dinner?" to be easy to use and fast to scroll through. The shorter the post is, the better. I can also screen out duplicates, correct any errors, and generally keep the thread clean and organized.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #110  
Less Juicey

Default Quiche Lorraine

Even if you have doubts about the nutmeg, it's essential for a real Quiche Lorraine! Use a large (11 inch) quiche dish.

Ingredients
  • 8 slices bacon, cut into small pieces, around 1/2 inch
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions (or substitute 1/8 cup finely chopped onion)
  • 2 cups (8 oz) shredded Swiss Cheese, divided
  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika or ground red pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Grease quiche dish with butter.
Fry bacon and green onions together until bacon is done. Sprinkle cooked bacon and onions in the bottom of the greased quiche dish. Top with 1 cup of the Swiss cheese.
In a bowl, Stir together the beaten eggs, cream, salt, pepper, paprika, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg. Pour into the quiche dish; try not to dislodge the bacon. Top with the remaining 1 cup of Swiss cheese. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Recipe from: Homeschoolforms.com

Last edited by sandyfanny; 08-06-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #111  
Less Juicey

Default Linsy's Buffalo Chicken Dip

Linsy's Buffalo Chicken Dip

2 8oz blocks cream cheese
2 cans white meat canned chicken
Buffalo Sauce to taste (I usually use around half a regular sized bottle, or a cup--use less if you don't like it too spicy)
Ranch to taste (about 1/2c)

Drain chicken; chop up really well in the bottom of a sauce pan on low heat. Add buffalo sauce and stir well until warmed through.

Soften cream cheese and add to chicken and buffalo sauce mixture. Stir well; it will be an orange color and creamy. Add ranch dressing and taste. Add more buffalo sauce/ranch to taste (it should be slightly spicy, very creamy with a good buffalo flavor. Not too much ranch).

Transfer to a crock pot or baking dish and cook until hot and bubbly (about 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven). Eat with celery stalks, pork rinds, or even with a spoon.

Linsy says she has a friend who adds cheddar cheese and, "Be careful; it's addictive."

Last edited by sandyfanny; 08-08-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #112  
Less Juicey

Default Meatballs from TiffNeedsChange

Tiff's meatballs sound delicious; I'm copying her post in its entirety.

Meatballs

I processed 4 stalks celery, 1 medium onion, and about 8 cloves garlic together in a food processor (used between both the meatballs and sauce)

The meatballs: 2 lbs 80/20 ground chuck (was on sale), 1/2 bag of puffy spicy pork rinds processed, 1-2 T Italian seasoning, some Mrs. Dash, salt/black pepper/white pepper to taste, about 1/3 of the processed onion/celery/garlic mix, 2 eggs, parsley, ~ 1/2 tsp onion powder, ~ 1/2 tsp garlic powder... combined all ingredients until it was no longer sticky and baked at 375 for 20-25 mins. (My meatballs were kind of big.)

Sauce: 2/3 of the garlic/celery/onion mix sauteed in some olive oil; then I added 1 can tomato sauce (no sugar added to any canned ingredients), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 small can tomato paste (about 4-6 oz), 1 can mushrooms, a little garlic powder, dried italian seasoning (maybe 1 T), sprinkles of onion powder, parsley, black pepper, salt, about 1/6-1/4 cup Splenda, cooked that on low for about 30 minutes; then added a can of chopped spinach and cooked for another 15 minutes.

Normally after the meatballs were finished baking, I add them to my sauce and simmer for about 5-10 minutes, but I used a small saucepan for the sauce and couldn't fit them in.

Served 4 meatballs with some sauce on top and sprinkles of Parmesan cheese.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #113  
Less Juicey

Default Flax Crackers from TiffNeedsChange

I'm posting Tiff's recipe in its entirety:

Flax Crackers

To serve on the side I made a batch of Garlic Parmesean Flax Cracker dipped in a little garlic butter (wanted some garlic bread type side). I got that recipe from food.com and I used GOLDEN FLAX MEAL (the golden has less of a funky flavor). After I finished the bake time, I followed a commentor's advice and turned off my oven, flipped the cracker over and let it dry out on the other side.

1 cup flax seed meal
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

Directions:
1 Heat oven to 400°F.
2 Mix all ingredients together.
3 Spoon onto sheet pan which is covered with a silicone mat or greased parchment paper.
4 Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment or waxed paper.
5 Even out the mixture to about 1/8 inch. I find a straight edge, like a ruler, works well, though you can use a rolling pin or wine bottle too. The important thing is not to let it be too thin around the edges or that part will overcook before the center firms up.
6 So after you spread it out, remove the paper and go around the edges with your finger and push the thin part inwards to even it up.
7 Bake until the center is no longer soft, about 15-18 minutes. If it starts to get more than a little brown around the edges, remove from oven.
8 Let cool completely - it will continue to crisp up.
9 Break into pieces. 10 The whole recipe is 6 grams of effective carbohydrate plus 35 grams of fiber.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #114  
Less Juicey

Default Super-Fast, Super Delicious "Cheesecake"

Super-Fast, Super Delicious "Cheesecake"

I'm a big fan of 8 oz. cream cheese, softened, whipped with 1/4 c. heavy cream, 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. lemon extract and 2 T. Truvia or Splenda, a little freshly-grated lemon rind if you have a lemon. Don't like lemon? Use vanilla extract.

Want a pumpkin version? Blend in 1/4 - 1/2 c. canned pumpkin, increase the Truvia or Splenda and add 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice.

*I use a small hand blender to get it super creamy and add a little volume. Chill and enjoy!