Recipes from "What's for Dinner?"

You're on Page 6 of 8
Go to
  • Islandchick's Cauliflower Soup with Leeks...
    Islandchick's Cauliflower Soup with Leeks

2 celery stalks...diced
    1/2 c. butter
    1 clove of garlic...minced
    3 leeks diced (Use the white tops and about a third of the green bottoms.....minced. You can also use green onions instead of the leeks. If I do that, I use almost all of the green part as well.)
    1 head of cauliflower (stalk and leaves removed; cut it into 4 quarters to help it cook faster.)
    2 1/2 TBPS of olive oil
    1 package Lipton Onion Soup mix
    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 to 3 cups of water.
    1 8oz bag of the cheese of your choice. (I use the finely shredded 4 blend Mexican cheese.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I put the cauliflower on to boil for about 20 minutes; leave it in quarters.
    While that's boiling, I sautee the leeks (or onions), garlic and celery in the olive oil...takes about 10 minutes or so.

I drain the cauliflower but save about 2 cups of the water. *I put the cauliflower and the water I boiled it in into my blender and mix it up really well. The consistency should be like a watered -down mashed potatoes. I pour that mixture into the pan I boiled the cauliflower in. I add the sauteed veggies, the Lipton onion soup mix, the butter, the extra water, the heavy whipping cream and stir. When it is nice and hot and mixed well, I add the whole 8 oz.bag of cheese. Since this is feeding serveral people, I don't worry about using all 8 ozs. of the cheese. I stir in the cheese until it's melted completely. I use salt and pepper to taste and add some additional garlic and onion POWDER to taste. You just won't believe how awesome this tastes on a cold winter day

*Note: If you have an immersion blender, it's made to handle hot foods. If you're using a standard blender, you may want to cool the cauliflower/water mixture quickly before blending it. I just set the pot on a layer of ice I've created in my sink for a few minutes. Sometimes hot liquids in a blender will "blow up," leaving you with food and liquid all over your kitchen.

**Lipton Onion Soup Mix is not on the Induction foods list. Each packet has 16 g. carbs and 2,240 mg. sodium.
  • Green Bean Casserole...
    Another favorite from Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes, Green Bean Casserole.

I cut the cheese to six ounces and used fresh mushrooms sauteed with the celery and onion. I also used frozen, french-cut green beans and cut the amount of salt listed in the recipe.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/dotties...casserole.html
  • Pumpkin Egg Cream Shake...
    JerseyGyrl posted this recipe for a yummy Induction-friendly shake.

Pumpkin Egg Cream Shake

1/3 cup Pumpkin - frozen
    1/4 cup Heavy Cream - frozen
    1 Egg
    2 teaspoons Splenda
    1/4 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
    1/2 cup Water

Mix this all up in the blender until thoroughly blended. Enjoy!!!
    4.7 carbs
  • Linsy's Buffalo Chicken Tenders
    Linsy's Buffalo Chicken Tenders

1 container Parmesan cheese (crumbled kind in the green container)
    2tsp pepper
    1tsp garlic powder
    10-20 thawed chicken tenders
    2 eggs (may need more)
    1/3 c. Frank's red hot sauce
    1/3 c. butter
    oil of any kind for frying

Preheat the oven to 425. In a small bowl, beat the eggs. In another bowl, mix pepper, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture and then into the parmesan cheese mixture. Fry about 4 tenders at a time in oil on the the stove, turning once until golden.

Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until cooked all the way through.
    Alternate method: Deep fry 3-4 at a time for 8 min. at your fryer's recommended temp for chicken.

Mix melted butter and hot sauce, then put into a bowl large enough to fit all of the chicken tenders. Toss the chicken tenders in the buffalo sauce and serve immediately with ranch dressing or bleu cheese. You could also take a silicone brush and brush the chicken tenders with the sauce.

Linsy's getting really good in her low carb kitchen; here's what she said about her most recent culinary effort:

I made a spinach "lasagna"...it's actually nothing like a lasagna, but I don't know what to call it. I browned 1 lb. ground beef in a skillet and seasoned it with garlic/onion powder, then added about 10 oz. of cooked, drained spinach and a can of diced tomatoes (Make sure they have no added sugar or corn syrup. Great Value brand from Wal*Mart doesn't have any).

I cooked it all together in a skillet and seasoned it with salt, pepper, a little bit of minced dried onion and Italian seasoning. I then mixed in about 4 oz. of mozzarella and topped it with another 4 oz. of mozzarella. Bake at 375 until it's hot and bubbly. I'm estimating this to be about 4 servings, at 5 carbs per serving, but the carb counts vary with ingredients used.
  • Six Cream Cheese Muffins
    Victorianandmore, a Low Carb Friend, contributes a smaller recipe for those great little cheesecake muffins:

Cream Cheese Muffins...when you only want a few

Ingredients For 6 Muffins:

1 8-oz. cream cheese
    10 little packets of
    Splenda
    3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 egg
    1/3 C. sour cream

Mix softened cream cheese with the sour cream. Add the egg; mix thoroughly. Add Splenda and vanilla and mix well. Fill 6 muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees 15 -20 minutes for a muffin with a very creamy center, 25 minutes for a firmer cheesecake. Refrigerate and chill well before eating.

• Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus...
    Beeb posted this recipe on the "Low Carb Friends" site:

Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus

Trim asparagus ends. In large bowl or on a plate, sprinkle asparagus with olive oil, balsamic or apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Mix all together and then take 4 to 5 stems of the marinated asparagus and wrap with 1 slice of bacon. Do this until all the asparagus is wrapped.

Put on an oven proof grill pan or in a oven-proof casserole dish, making sure to put the bacon end side down, and roast at 350 degrees until bacon is getting crisp, and asparagus starts to wilt.

Enjoy!!
  • Muffin in a Minute
    JerseyGyrl posted this recipe in an Atkins thread: "Ground Flax."

Muffin in a Minute (suitable for Induction)

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 packet Splenda
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter, melted (I think I'll use 1-2 tablespoons)*

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug, or a small bowl for a different shape. Stir dry ingredients. Add the egg and the melted butter. Mix well. Microwave 1 minute (or more). Slice, butter, eat. Set mug to soak immediately. **

* Most recipes I've seen use 1 - 2 tablespoons of butter.
    **I spray the cup or ramekin with non-stick baking spray,

Notes: 1.5 net carbs.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 9.5 g. fiber; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium
  • Chocolate One Minute Muffin...
    Chocolate One Minute Muffin

I'm still tinkering with my recipe, tweaking the standard. I made them tonight and added 1 tblsp. of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 2 capfuls of Torani's sugar-free chocolate syrup, a dash of salt, 1 tsp. Splenda to the basic recipe:

1/4 c. golden flaxseed meal
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 egg
    1 Tbls. sour cream
    2 T. melted butter

Melt the butter in a small baking ramekin -I think mine are 6 oz. In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingedients, stir them thoroughly. Add egg, sour cream, syrup, vanilla and mix thoroughly. Swirl the butter gently around the ramekin so it greases the sides. Then stir in the butter and mix well. Put the batter in the greased ramekin. Cover with clear wrap. Poke a small slit in the wrap. Microwave for 1 min - 1 min 20 seconds. Turn out on a rack or plate and allow to cool. Split horizontally with a serrated knife and spread with cream cheese. YUM!
  • Savory One Minute Muffin...
    I really like these; they actually taste good!

Onion/Garlic One Minute Muffin

1/4 c. Golden Flaxseed Meal
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/8 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1 T. dehydrated onion flakes
    1 tsp. Splenda
    Dash of salt

2 T. butter
    1 Tbls. sour cream
    1 large egg

Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl. Melt the butter in a small ramekin - mine are the white fluted baking ramekins, about 4 1/2" across the bottom and 5 1/2" across the top, probably 6 oz. Swirl the butter up the sides of the ramekin, greasing the sides.

Add the egg, sour cream and the butter into the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. (I add the egg first, then the butter.) Using a spatula, spread the batter into the ramekin you used to melt the butter. Cover the ramekin with clear wrap, poke a small hole in it, and microwave on high for 1 minute - 1 minute 20 seconds. Remove the clear wrap, let the muffin rest for a few minutes and turn out onto a plate or cooling rack.

I split the muffin with a long serrated knife and spread the halves with cream cheese and chives, melt cheddar cheese on the halves, or spread them with mayonnaise to make a BLT or deli ham sandwich. They toast very nicely too. I store them in a zip-lock.

I've doubled the recipe and cooked them in two ramekins one after the other, no problem.
  • Chocolate Pudding...
    I found this recipe on "Low Carb Friends." I haven't tried it, but it sounds as if it has great potential. I haven't checked a carb count; it may not be Induction-friendly - cocoa, protein powder, definitely not the peanut flour. I also haven't used protein powder, but I may buy a packet if I can find it in a small amount.

Fab instant chocolate pudding
    1 Tbs hersheys special dark chocolate cocoa powder
    2 Tbs powdered erythritol--tsp or two of hot water
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    2 Tbs greek yogurt or sour cream (I used fromage blanc because thats what I had--fabulous stuff made by vermont creamery)
    vanilla davinci's 1-2 tbs

mix cocoa powder and erythritol and a teeny bit of hot water to blend. Add PP, greek yogurt, and davinci's. Blend.

You will have a thick, rich, chocolate pudding to die for. Filling because of the PP. This is my dessert of choice these days. Sometimes I make it with peanut flour, cookie dough PP, and caramel davincis. yum.
  • Alliecat's Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Cabbage Casserole
    This recipe is from "Low Carb Friend's" site by way of "Linda's Low Carb Recipes and Menus."

I halve this recipe; I also cut the cheese to 4 oz. in the casserole and 3 oz. to top it. I also substitute green chilis if I don't have fresh bell peppers.

ALLIECAT'S CHEESY CHICKEN BACON CABBAGE CASSEROLE
    8 slices bacon, chopped
    1 medium cabbage, chopped, about 36 ounces
    1 small onion, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
    1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
    2 tablespoons butter or bacon grease
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    4 cups diced cooked chicken breast, 18 ounces
    1 cup sour cream *
    8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
    Paprika

In a very large Dutch oven or wok, fry the bacon until crisp; remove from pan to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve 2 tablespoons of the grease, if desired. Discard any remaining bacon grease. Sauté the cabbage, onions and bell peppers in butter or bacon grease until tender and wilted; season well with salt and pepper. Stir in the chicken, sour cream, bacon and 8 ounces of cheese. Adjust the seasoning as needed. Spread in a greased 9x13" baking pan. Top with 4 ounces of cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 450º until golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
  • JerseyGyrl's link to Protein Shakes thread...
    Here's a link to a protein shake thread JerseyGyrl posted on "Low Carb Friends" site:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...st-thread.html
  • Sugar-Free Sweet Bread and Butter Pickles
    This recipe came from Linda Sue on "Low Carb Friends" site. I'm going to try this, 'cause I love pickles!

LOW CARB MICROWAVE BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES
    1 large cucumber, about 10-12 ounces *
    1 small onion, sliced thin, 2 1/2 ounces
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
    1/4 teaspoon celery seed
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1 pint canning jar with lid

Slice the cucumber into 1/4-inch thick slices. Mix all ingredients in an 8-cup glass measuring cup or microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 8 minutes, stirring twice, until crisp-tender. Pickles should be translucent, but not too soft. Rinse the canning jar with very hot water to prevent cracking, then spoon pickles into jar. Pour all the liquid over the pickles. Cool, cover, then chill well. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 1 pint or about 8 servings

* I used an English cucumber
  • Crispy Kale / Spinach Chips
    I made these last weekend - delicious. I suggest using a thick, substantial leaf kale or mature, thick spinach leaves. I sprinkled mine with kosher salt before baking. Very easy, very quick snack. Loved them!

Crispy Kale / Spinach Chips

http://www.salon.com/food/eyewitness..._spinach_chips