Some cool foods I've found

• Trader Joes:

Stuffed pork tenderloin (frozen) - 4 carbs for 1/3 of the loin. Easy work night meal. I think this was around $8.

Chive/garlic yogurt dip - this is 2 carbs per 2 table spoons. It is really flavorful but I would describe it more like cream cheese. Would be good on veggies or as a spread for turkey roll ups etc.

Whole Foods:

Seaweed chips - Amy Chung Brand - spicy wasabi or sesame oil. each has 1 carb per serving, there are two servings per box. The sesame has 1 g fiber so no net carbs? These are really good IF you like the seaweed flavor. Its the stuff wrapped around sushi. They are salty and flavorful. They replace the same need as a bag of chips for me - mindless snacking w lots of flavor. There are 20 chips in a box (2 carbs). $1.39.

I also found spinach and tika masala chicken and spinach and paneer indian frozen meals. Haven't tried them yet so I will let you know. THe chicken has 8 carbs and 4 fiber. The cheese has 12 carbs and I can't remember the amount of fiber right now, but its up there. These are good for quick meals (if they are tasty... I'll let you know).

Safeway -

Frozen mussels with a butter white wine sauce on them. 2 carbs per serving, 4 carbs per pack. Again, takes about 5 minutes to cook, good week night dinner - try adding some spinach to the broth!

I haven't been able to locate these yet but Shiratake noodles. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/pro...takinoodle.htm

These are "noodles" made out of a yam root and 1 net carb per 8 oz serving. (3 reg and 2 fiber) I am interested in trying them to make with a burnt butter and wild sage sauce - very flavorful.

What have you found lately that is not the usual turkey, chicken, eggs etc?
  • Oh also, I forgot to add:

Trader Joes: Nitrate/ite free roast beef and deli turkey. The nitrites they use to preserve normal deli meats are linked to cancer (boo) and since I eat a lot when I am atkinsing, I got the nitrite free stuff.
  • The other thread made me remember too - Trader Joes had two really nice filet mignons for $13!! So I made those with a little black truffle salt sprinkled on. So good. I don't eat a lot of beef but I love the filets!

I home someone else will share cool foods they've found! I know I have a hard time sticking to a plan when I am in a rut...

Thanks!
  • No Trader Joe's for hours...I have to make it with Lowe's Foods, Harris Teeter and Food Lion. There's a pricey Fresh Market about 45 minutes away...I haven't found anything wonderful.
  • I like cream cheese spread on smoked salmon or lox to roll up. Makes a nice alternative to eggs for breakfasts.
    Presidents choice blue menu cauliflower topped shepherd pie, has 13g carbs for a serving, 10 net, and heats up in microwave or oven.
    Liberte brand creme fraiche, to put on top of anything to add a decadent touch.