3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Mayo question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/211746-mayo-question.html)

frazzeled 09-05-2010 01:23 PM

Mayo question

Maybe mustard too.

I bought a small jar of Hellmans mayo. I looked at all the mayo at the store and they all listed sugar. Is that going to make a big difference having a tsp full. We are off to Costco (UK) and I am looking at getting the big jars there if it will work as I cant stand british mayo and only like American. ( British is like rubber) but dont want to if I cant eat it. I am so looking forward to full fat mayo. Been putting it off though.

Also, what about mustard? I love American mustard and French mustards. I am not sure if they have sugar. Any ideas?

fatBgone07 09-05-2010 02:21 PM

I guess not all mayos are created equal. My mayo (I am in the US) is 0 carbs and 0 sugar. It is actually an off brand of mayo.

hairchick40v 09-05-2010 02:40 PM

Just add the 1 carb it has into your count if you are being super strict.. If not then still be aware that there is prob 1 carb in it.. I eat mayo freely, with out concern... I have never used alot, but I do like that with Atkins it is ok!! Hellman's is my brand...

frazzeled 09-05-2010 03:10 PM

Cool thanks. Mayo isnt used as widely here as it is in the US, so there isnt a load to choose from. Its like rubber from the grocery store but Costco brings it from Canada so its the same as the US. I love full fat and so glad that I can use that now.

Shells 09-05-2010 05:35 PM

Why not make your own?? Its easy, keeps well if you make small amounts, only takes a minute or so to make and you know whats in it

1 large egg yolk*
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
3/4 cup canola oil, divided

ombine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.
Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
Variation:
To make aioli, add 1 minced garlic clove to the egg mixture, and substitute extravirgin olive oil for the canola oil.

Shells 09-05-2010 05:39 PM

That is just one of many recipes you can use but they are all essentially the same

SissieSue 09-05-2010 06:41 PM

I've been eating Hellman's (although in the West its called "Best Foods" brand -- I think the two companies merged). I've been worried about the sugar too, so based on a tip from someone else on a low-carb board, I ordered Duke's mayonnaise, which is a mayo that's popular in parts of the U.S. south. Duke's doesn't have any sugar.

Here's a link to the web site. They'll probably ship internationally: http://www.dukesmayo.com/

Although, as Shells noted, it might just be easier to make your own. If you've got a copy of Julia Child's cookbook, there's a good recipe in there :-)

sandyfanny 09-05-2010 08:56 PM

I feel so bad for anyone who doesn't have Duke's Mayonnaise in her grocery. It is THE mayonnaise of the South, and we Southern chicks love our mayo!

Homemade mayonnaise is delicious, though. If I didn't work outside my home, I'd make yummy garlic mayo and herb mayonnaises. I've made them for special dinners or recipes; they're out of this world.

cher37 09-05-2010 10:06 PM

For us Northern chickies ... I love Loblaws No-Name Mayonnaise & with zero carbs, I can't go wrong :)

Violet73 09-05-2010 10:21 PM

I'm from the south and have never heard of Duke's mayonnaise. I loved mayo as a kid..well we call Miracle Whip mayonnaise around here :P .but just not that much into it anymore...

ghost girl 09-06-2010 01:56 AM

I have always been a Hellmans girl, could eat it by the jar full.
But i think i might just order a jar of duke's.

fatmad 09-06-2010 04:59 PM

I just read my hellmans container, it SAYS sugar as one of the later ingredients, but claims no carbs in a tsp, so the amount of sugar must be quite low. It states 10 cals, and a gram of fat has 9 cals.......

SilverLife 09-09-2010 07:34 PM

Olive oil, walnut oil, or macadamia nut oil are all good oils for making your own mayo.

kellyd23 09-13-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazzeled (Post 3467983)
Maybe mustard too.

I bought a small jar of Hellmans mayo. I looked at all the mayo at the store and they all listed sugar. Is that going to make a big difference having a tsp full. We are off to Costco (UK) and I am looking at getting the big jars there if it will work as I cant stand british mayo and only like American. ( British is like rubber) but dont want to if I cant eat it. I am so looking forward to full fat mayo. Been putting it off though.

Also, what about mustard? I love American mustard and French mustards. I am not sure if they have sugar. Any ideas?

MUSTARDS WOULD BE A BIG FAT ZERO:carrot: JUST TO BE CAREFUL CHECK ON SWEET MUSTARD.......MOST ARE ZERO:p