Gum

• Is chewing gum a good idea or a bad idea?
  • Quote: Is chewing gum a good idea or a bad idea?
    In short, most "sugar-free" gum contains artificial sweetener (typically aspartame) which should be avoided.
  • Thanks, but I do miss it.
  • Hi,

JerseyGyrl's responses are always very well put, but I wanna share a little bit of my experience:

I eat one or two pieces of gum per day. I feel that my oral hygene isn't good enough without them and I always buy gum that has at least 30% xylitol becouse of the oral health benefits.
    I count 1 g of carb and 2 calories per piece.
    It does not stall my weight loss so far.

Good luck!
  • Quote: I count 1 g of carb and 2 calories per piece.
    It does not stall my weight loss so far.
    I totally agree...its very much a YMMV issue
  • I agree too. I use gum as a breath freshener for work, even tho I don't like to chew it. I usually spit it out in about a minute. BUT, the carbs are important.
    If I don't count them I don't lose. I find it makes a big difference. I used to think that one carb was just there because they had to say there is one, I figured it was maybe a 10th of a carb or something. BUt did find it makes a difference on weeks when I have been working a lot a needing the gum.
  • Thanks alot. I am a fresh breath kind of person also, Fresh breath is priority (ha ha)
    anyway my husband told me I had bad breath, he very kindly put it ( it must be your new diet because you have always had the sweetest breath.

Anyway Scope is not helping ( may have to try gum).
    thanks.
  • ghost girl.....yeah, there is "ketone breath" that you get when you are in ketosis. This has nothing to do with oral hygiene or anything....it's the ketones.

But ugh...chewing gum. Those days are gone for me. I can't even chew food, much less gum.

deena
  • Deena, get busy makin' that Cheeseburger Soup, girl!