Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #1  

Default New to forum, and New to Atkins

Hello. I have so many friends who have had great success with Atkins I am looking at giving it a go. I admit I have always had great success with Weight Watchers, but its just not cutting it for me anymore. I did it for 6 weeks religiously and did excercise and only lost 2 lbs.

I think I need to jump start my system. I remember back in the day, before "Low Fat" became the catch phrase we never seemed to be all that fat. Now, its an explosion.

So I am looking at starting Atkins. I would love to win 100 lbs. I would be happy to just get back to my pre pregnancy size. I have a wardrobe full of clothes that I cant wear that I refuse to get rid of. So if I get to that size I will be

I am still trying to get my head around the Atikins. Am I understanding this correctly, you count carbs like you would count points. So I can eat anything on the phase one list as long as I can stay under the 20 net carbs? I cant get my head around eating the meat... is it as much as you feel you need? What about calories? Its so different to what I have always done.

I ordered the calorie counter book and what to buy/not to buy at the grocery store.

Wish me luck. I am going to do some more figuring out, go to the store and get going.
Wish me luck.
frazzeled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

Welcome and Good luck you will find alot of great people and a wealth information here.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

Go and get yourself the original book published by Dr. Atkins and read it cover to cover before you start. Its not just any low carb food that can be eaten in the Induction phase.

At the very least go to the Veronica Atkins site for some direction so that you are not wasting time and money on foods that are not acceptable on the list.

http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/lifestyle.htm
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shells View Post
Go and get yourself the original book published by Dr. Atkins and read it cover to cover before you start. Its not just any low carb food that can be eaten in the Induction phase.

At the very least go to the Veronica Atkins site for some direction so that you are not wasting time and money on foods that are not acceptable on the list.

]
Good info there. Its pretty much the same as the ukatkinscom info.

I do think I am starting to get my head around it, but does seem strange that you can eat so much meat... the no no foods with fat in it.

Phase one is only two weeks. If I am losing it will motivate me so that will make it easier.
Now to get to the store.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi frazzeled and welcome.

Getting and reading Dr. Atkin's book is a serious must. I think I read it 10 times as soon as I got it. The main reason for this is not only to be sure you are eating the right foods (I learned I was making a few mistakes early on) but because you have to re-align your thinking...due to all the nutrition propaganda (well, *I* think it's propoganda, a good bit of it)...where fat is bad. You seriously have to reverse most of the stuff you've been told and believed for your life.

The main principles are:

*you generally eat a normal amount of protein, it's not mainly protein. It may SEEM like a lot of protein, since you no longer can eat all the junky carbs...but the reality is that it's a normal amount.
*The bulk of the diet is veggies....BUT filling because you add butter and/or cheese.
*You MUST get your fat in. Inadequate fat will slow down the weight loss.
*Basically....it's lots of veggies, normal protein, plenty of fat....and NO junky carbs.......and most carbs will come from veggies.

If you read the book and start eating while following the list...you'll get the hang of it and become an expert on it.

IMO...it's a great diet/WOE.......it's healthy, it works, you're not hungry and you feel good on it. I have to think that those who mess up or ditch it do so because they either didn't read the book so did a few things wrong and didn't lose so gave up or else absolutely refused to give up sugar, etc. Otherwise, I can't fathom why anyone would not love this diet.

deena

Oh....and to answer your question regarding calorie counting......No, you do not count calories...per se.....but you DO want to make sure you keep calories within fairly reasonable parameters. In other words, let's face it....you'd have trouble losing if you ate 6,000 cal/day of pure Atkin's approved foods. So yeah, you can't just eat endless and ridiculous amounts of calories and still lose. BUT...you do not count calories as a practical matter. Gone are the days where you worry when you see the calorie count of a baked chicken leg. It's protein and fat....so it's good...and eat it...even eat two....and don't even worry about the calories.

Last edited by Deena52; 08-16-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: to add something
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #6  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Welcome, Frazzeled!

I agree that reading one of Atkins' pre-2002 books is a MUST and read ALL of it. I keep my copy of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (first copyright 1992) on my bedside table. I usually re-read a little of it every day; it keeps me on track and encourages me.

You might also find reading the "Sticky Threads" at the top of the Atkins 3FC site helpful - great information and questions answered. Also, check out JerseyGyrl's "Food on a Typical Day" post - right now it's on page 2 of the Atkins' list of postings. I have a "What's for Dinner" post that might help you put together your dinner menus.

I also find that after a two or three weeks on Atkins, I eat less in general. I'm just not as hungry as I used to be. Don't be afraid to eat when you're hungry; as long as you're on plan, you'll be fine. Take a walk, drink your water, and enjoy some really good food.

Post often. I wish you all the success you deserve; you'll always find friends and listeners here.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone. I am really excited to get started. Tesco order in and felt greedy ordering cream and butter. I feel a bit naughty... and thats kinda fun. Will keep updates as I learn the forum too.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #8  
Less Juicey

Default When naughty is a good thing...

It is fun on Atkins to eat all the things we used to think were forbidden: butter, rich cheese, heavy cream...YUM! I enjoy that feeling of eating things I've denied myself in the past...as if I'm getting away with something BAD!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #9  

Day 1 and it was easy. I have a cold so not very hungry anyways. Finding it hard to eat all the veg cause I am not hungry. Only had 4 eggs throughout day, 1 chicken breast and some edam cheese for the proteins. Some cream and splenda in my coffee and the rest some veg. Not much. Just wasnt hungry.

If very day is like this then I dont think it will be a problem. Very intersted in seeing how the two weeks go and how much i actually lose.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #10  

Starting day 5. I weighed myself yesterday and I lost 6 lbs... I am thrilled.

I have to say, I am already bored of my food choices so going to scour recipes. Hard bit is that my hubs does most the evening meals. He is not creative. Ready meals. As I work (from home) and can not do meals its going to be a challenge.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #11  
Less Juicey

Try Linda's Low Carb site for recipes and menus. All of them are not for induction, but many are or can be easily adapted.

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/

Congratulations on your loss, Frazzeled!

Last edited by sandyfanny; 08-21-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: wording
Old 08-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
Try Linda's Low Carb site for recipes and menus. All of them are not for induction, but many are or can be easily adapted.

Congratulations on your loss, Frazzeled!

Thanks

I think that site is fab. There is a whole induction section and found a recipe that I am doing tonight.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

That is a great site. The deep dish pizza looks soooo good.
Momofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #14  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi frazzled,
This is my second time on Atkins. I lost 60 lbs in 3 months the first time. I have been on it almost a month now this time and have lost 23 lbs. Before, I basically would eat as much of any of the allowed food as I wanted. I walked one mile a day, and exercised with free weights. THIS time, I am using portion control AND keeping my calories at 1200 per day or less. I have also started walking 2 miles per day Mon.-Fri. and 4 miles (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening -if I have the time) on Sat. and Sun. I have not started the free weights yet but wll this coming week. Basically, by watching carbs, calories, portions and exercising I have really started getting results. (dropped a pants size already). Atkins is really a good way to get the ball rolling. Much luck to you
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #15  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

One other thing about the meal in the evening. I make my biggest meal at breakfast. I have a moderate lunch that usually includes a salad, and lean meat and have a protein based chocolate shake for my dinner(4 carbs) I have things like deviled eggs or pork rinds and homemade salsa for snacks if I think I need it.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote