BBQ Sauce and other LC Foods

• What favorite website do you guys have for ordering lc foods? One thing I am missing terribly is BBQ sauce - I BBQ every weekend. I did find some Walden here, but I can't stand it! lol I like their salad dressing though. Has anyone tried their spicy BBQ sauce? Anyway - was hoping for suggetions for those of you who order online.
  • I can't help you with purchasing those sorts of items from websites.....because I never used those things. But what I DID do was that I would improvise on my own to create low-carb versions of things.....though to be honest, I tried to avoid anything sweet or anything that would kick-in any sort of cravings.

But for a barbecue sauce....if I'd decided to try and make a low-carb version....I'd have probably taken some plain tomato paste, added a bit of splenda and a tsp/tblsp of vinegar....and see how it tasted. And then tweak it a bit depending on taste.

You pretty much have to accept that it's rarely, if ever, gonna taste like the real thing.....just for starters. Honey, molasses and brown sugar are verboten, right off the bat. And tomato paste and vinegar would be something you'd have to use in very small amts....and even Splenda, for that matter....as they're not totally Atkins-approved....and you'd certainly not want to use them during Induction.

To tell you the truth....I did the best when I stuck to whole foods and totally avoided any of the processed low-carb items they sell in stores or on the internet. You can adjust very quickly to living without them.

deena
  • Why not make your own BBQ sauce? Then you know EXACTLY whats in it....and its made from ingredients you can actually pronounce!

This recipe was found on another site and is quite good!

Indispensable Almost No Carb Barbecue Sauce
    This isn't a substitute for the "real thing," it's an improvement. It's so good the rest of the family gobbles it up and I have to keep making more.

3/8 cup vinegar
    1 1/2 cup tomato sauce. (1 15 oz can) Don't buy a tomato sauce that has spices or flavorings in it!
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoon yellow hot dog mustard
    3/4 tablespoon Franks Hot Sauce (the chicken wing sauce)
    3/4 tablespoon salt (optional)
    1 dash cayenne pepper. Go easy!!!!
    3 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
    6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops of Liquid Splenda

Add vinegar and all other ingredients except mustard to a sauce pan and slowly heat. Put mustard in a cup and slowly stir in a couple tablespoons of sauce until well blended. Then add mustard mixture back to sauce in pan.

Bring to a boil, and lower heat. Let simmer for a few minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate.

Note: this sauce will taste a bit peculiar if you taste it when it is still hot. Don't worry! Something magical happens when it sits in the fridge.

Carbohydrates per Serving (1 tablespoon): Less than 1 gram. Half an ounce is 1 gm carbs, 6 calories

• Awesome - thanks! Good idea to just make my own. I have printed out the recipes and put into my "low carb recipe" book!

I know years before I had ordered low carb pasta. Pasta is one thing I do miss a little.