Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #1  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default What's for dinner? A Place to Post?

I'm starting this thread so I can post what I'm having for dinner tonight, and I hope some of you will post your dinner menu. It'll help keep me focused on eating Atkins and will give me lots of ideas. I'm cooking for one, so it's not too much fun. Atkins seems to be a lot of prep and a lot of cooking unless you want grilled protein and a salad every night. Anyway, what's for dinner?

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs cooked in olive oil with red onion and garlic, then simmered in sour cream.

I'm eating the sauce over steamed cauliflower and having a salad with lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Bleu Cheese dressing. There you go!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I made a roast with potatoes and carrots (for the rest of the family). I will add a salad to my plate.

Last night I had a rotisserie chicken from walmart-(peeled off the skin). Yummy. Had leftovers for lunch. I found the red hot buffalo hot sauce and it has 0 carbs, but I still try not to overdue it.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #3  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

We had smothered chicken. Boneless skinless baked chicken breast sprinkled with Montreal Chicken seasoning and topped with sauteed mushrooms, red bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Monterey Jack cheese over that and back in the oven to melt. Steamed broccoli on the side. Yummo!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #4  
Less Juicey

Default Thanks for posting, ladies!

I'm your girl, Gelene, I'll buy some jack cheese and mushrooms today - I'm using your menu tonight!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #5  
Less Juicey

Default Roast for one?

Great idea...a roast. If I made a decent-sized roast, I could eat for a couple of days and not feel that all I do is cook. How do you make your roast Lsgirl?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #6  

I love my pressure cooker. I just add some seasonings, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, veggies and it is done in 1.5 hours. It is so tender it falls apart, no knife required.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #7  

I love rotisserie chicken! I eat the skin tho...YUM! Rotisserie chicken makes an awesome chicken salad too! I will get that if I am in a hurry and don't want to take the time to cook the chicken. I then just strip it and make a great chicken salad.

Last night I had a big ceasar salad topped with freshly shredded parm. cheese and grilled chicken thighs. YUM!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm with you, Torister...I LOVE dark meat chicken and turkey and LOVE to eat the skin. I love the fattier meats and on Atkins, it's NO problem. You don't HAVE to eat the dry 'ole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (although these are GREAT to use for making chicken salad...much easier to dice).

This is kinda gross...but I LOVE the turkey tail. I always run and grab it every Thanksgiving as soon as the bird is out of the oven.

Sandyfanny and the other ladies here...whenever roasts were on sale at the grocery store, I would buy a few. I would cook one at a time ( I season it, put it in a pan, cover and seal the pan with aluminum foil, and then put in a 350 degree oven. Then...I would slice the whole thing up and wrap the slices. I could either eat slices for snacks....with mayo...or dice them up and make roast beef salad.

I found that it was really helpful for me to have already prepared salads in the fridge....chicken salad, egg salad, roast beef salad, etc. Usually I would just toss a scoop onto a bowl of that pre-packaged lettuce/salad mix. But it was a great solution to that problem of coming home really hungry and not wanting to have to wait until something cooked (esp. if I'd forgotten to defrost something). Coming home really hungry/ravenous was a potential disaster in the making for me (just like the old saying that you shouldn't go grocery shopping when you are really hungry...or you'll buy out the whole store). Having actual meal-type food already prepared in the fridge was a huge life-saver for me.....for when snack food just wasn't gonna cut it and I needed some food ASAP.

deena
Old 07-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #9  

Alright! I confess! I eat the skin too. I love it. lol!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #10  
Less Juicey

Default The best laid plans...

By the time I went to the dentist, shopped with a friend, and went to the grocery to buy the ingredients for the smothered chicken and got home, it was 6:45 and I was starving. Fortunately, I also brought a rotisserie chicken too.

So, dinner tonight:

Rotisserie chicken wings and a thigh, cauliflower from last night topped with homemade pimento cheese and heated in the microwave. Super-fast and delicious!

I'll try the smothered chicken tomorrow.

My favorite aunt used to cook for us in a pressure cooker all the time, and she made the best dinners in no time. I don't have one, but maybe I should invest.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #11  

It was a x-mas gift from my mother-in-law. She got it because we are always busy and she thought it would help w/dinner. She was right. It can also double as a crock pot. Well worth the money.

Next I think I will buy a whole chicken and make it in there.

Dinner tonight-
Chicken with cauliflower rice (salt and pepper and a little soy sauce) and a little bit of broccoli.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

Left over butter chicken and steamed green beans. The butter chicken is marinated overnight in lime juice, cumin, coriander, pepper, salt, garlic, cayenne, cardamon. Then you saute a diced onion in butter, add the chicken, add a can of diced tomatoes (I get rid of the juice) add some tomato paste and then a pint of cream ...... garnish with cilantro. Makes a ton of sauce but I love just eating it with a spoon, no rice or potatoes or bread required as far as I am concerned.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #13  
Less Juicey

Default Butter Chicken sounds amazing...

Thank you for your post and the recipe. I'll definitely try it. I'll bet I could take that ton of sauce left over, puree it and eat as a soup!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #14  
Less Juicey

Default Deluxe Dinner!

Tonight I had a filet mignon grilled in burnt butter and a chef's salad - mixed greens with a thick tomato slice, a hard-boiled egg, shredded cheddar cheese. Bleu Cheese dressing.

My grocer does a great job of slashing the prices on very expensive cuts of meat as they near their "Sell by" date. I buy 'em and eat 'em up!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #15  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Tonight I'm making parmesan crusted chicken breasts with mashed cauliflower. I'll have this for lunch tomorrow too as I re-start my Atkins journey.
Closed Thread