Old 04-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #1  

Default New around here

Hi everyone! I'm new to 3FC. I think the Atkin's diet (or a lower fat modification of it - like Paleo diet) would be good for me. I know that my body reacts to starches with bloating, gas, discomfort etc. and I have horrible carb/sugar/caffeine addictions to break. I recently visited a weight loss MD out of desperation who put me on the hcg/500 calorie diet. I have been on it for 4 days and know that there is no way I can continue something so extreme. However, I am ready to use the benefit of the fact that I have had almost no carbs (or food at all! Ugh!) for 4 days to get a jump start on a sustainable program.

I tried Atkins in the past and although I was losing a good amount of weight, I ultimately failed because the high protein and fat content of the rich foods I was eating was making me nauseous and constipated. I would like to do a low carb diet, but with lots of veggies and lean meats. My body doesn't digest large amounts of red meats, high fat dairy (like cream) and fat very well.

I have autoimmune thyroid disease and have been treated for 10 years, since I was 21. I have been 40-60 lbs overweight since then.

Any advice on jumping off the ridiculous (sorry if anyone has enjoyed this diet) HCG train and onto the Atkins or Paleo train? I'm already on the right track. I am also cleansing and can tell that all kinds of stuff is clearing out of my body. I've had headache/chills and dizziness for the past 2 days.
johannaengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Goal: 140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Johanna. Atkins is not a high protien diet and that's a common misconception. The bulk of the foods you will eat on ANA are fiber filled veggies and the majority of your carbs will come from veggies, not meat. I could not tolerate a 500 calorie diet! I have lost 85lbs in the past on ANA but made poor choices and gained it all back. I have been back on ANA since 1/4/10 and since then I have lost 33 pounds. I have about 50-60 more to lose but I am in it for good this time.

Headache, chills and dizziness are probably side effect of your cleanse. I would suggest stopping the cleanse and get on the induction phase of Atkins for 2 full weeks. You may encounter what's referred to as the "Atkins Flu" for a few days but that's actually a good sign, it means your body is detoxing and preparing to enter ketosis.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #3  

Hi Catmandu! Wow - what great success you've had with this plan. I actually don't have the book I need and have been gleaning most of the info I have from the web. I accidentally bought Atkins for Life, which looks like a good book once you're where you want to be, but doesn't talk much at all about induction (at least not from what I've seen so far).

So, if Atkin's isn't high protein, what is it? High fat? I mean, at the beginning, we can only have a cup of veggies and 2 cups of greens, right? And no fruit? How do you get the fiber in the beginning? I haven't had a tiny grain of sugar in a week or any type of carb based food at all. Not even once. I did however drink a small amount of wine a couple of times which effected me in a HUGE way - interesting since my body is used to half a bottle every night. The cleanse did do some really good things for me, as I am no longer really craving carbs.

Yesterday I had a tough time because I had to be out all day long and couldn't seem to get full on what I found to eat (conference luncheon served fajitas with beans, rice, etc., so I just ate a few strips of fajita meat with a little sour cream and some salad with ranch dressing). Anyway, I'm assuming the lack of fat was making me feel starving. My blood sugar bottomed out at one point and I felt really awful. Sorry - I know this is just a bunch of disjointed mumbling! I am feeling really confused and discouraged. Haven't lost even half a pound this week after all of that.
johannaengland is offline   Reply With Quote