Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/156/135

Height: 5'2

Default Carb Count: KFC Double Down

I know every low carber is excited about those new Double Downs from KFC and in case you were wondering, here's the carb count!

The Grilled Double Down has only 3 carbs and 460 calories.

The Regular Double Down has 11 carbs (one of those being fiber) and 540 calories.

I know one thing for sure, I'm getting one tonight!

Last edited by CarbsAreEvil; 04-13-2010 at 07:06 PM.
CarbsAreEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

If it were not for the bacon (I don't eat pork)...I might be curious enough to try the grilled!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbsAreEvil View Post
I know every low carber is excited about those new Double Downs from KFC
Here's 1 low carber who is anything but excited about the KFC Double Down.
Let's begin with the chicken itself. The "low carb" version is either the grilled chicken filet or the tender roast filet. Bear in mind, both versions of chicken contain Maltodextrin, MSG, Wheat Flour, Milk & Soy. Then, there is the Colonel's Sauce, which contains SUGAR, Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten and many other unpronounceable ingredients.
When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I'm staying far away from this one!
While its a great concept, you would be better off making your own "Double Down" at home with Atkins friendly ingredients
JMHO

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 04-13-2010 at 07:57 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 AM   #4  

OMG! It was so good! We'll see how I do on the scale tomorrow.

Definitely won't be an everyday thing though. It was 5 bucks!
Old 04-14-2010, 02:55 AM   #5  

Height: 5'9

What's in it?My comp is slow and the pic will take forever to load....

ETA...I found a pic online and it looks DELICIOUS...Will plan for one occasionally,thanks.

Last edited by cuteazz1; 04-14-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: 2 add
cuteazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteazz1 View Post
What's in it?
Features two thick and juicy boneless white meat chicken filets (Original RecipeŽ or Grilled), two pieces of bacon, two melted slices of Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese and Colonel's Sauce.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm glad to see some attempts made to accomodate low-carbers, but I hate that low-carb fast food is always uber-greasy. I'm not afraid of a little fat, but I'd prefer my food a little less "lubed." (I may be in the minority in this, since so many restaurants do it, it may be what most people want. I just have to remember to request the sauce on the side).

Two slices of cheese, two slices of bacon, AND sauce seems like fat "overkill" to me (especially without a huge bed of lettuce underneath it all).

I don't "do" fast food very often for that reason (especially now that I'm trying to avoid wheat entirely - allergy we think).

I was craving a burger the other day (TOM issues - hubby calls me werewolf because of my monthly beef cravings), and we were short on cash, so we went to Hardees rather than our usual "slow food" restaurant.

I have to admit that our Hardees did a great job. They will do a "lettuce wrap" for any sandwhich replacing the bun with iceberg lettuce. So I ordered the jalapeno burger (I didn't know it came with "sauce" next time I'd order the sauce on the side, because it was a bit "slippery"). They serve it in a paper wrapper, but also with a knife and fork. I gave up the wrapper pretty quickly because the sauce made the "sandwhich" too slippery. I was expecting only a thin leaf or two of lettuce but the burger was sandwiched between two very thick slices of lettuce several leaves thick. Almost enough lettuce to essentially make it a "burger salad."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/260/140

Height: 5'0"

To me, this is one of those things that looks good. At least, in theory. It looks like it would taste good and since there is no bread, is "safe". But when I think about it, and the amount of sodium it holds, I remember that grease would never sit well and would probably make me sick.

I wonder about making something similar at home but more as a stuffed chicken breast.
MidgieMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #9  

I had it and it wasn't very greasy to me. Even though the sodium count is high, it really wasn't salty. It's like having a regular old chicken sandwich with an extra piece of chicken. I don't get the big deal. I lost 2 pounds the day after I ate it and 3 pounds today. As long as it's not an everyday thing, I think it should be fine.

Last edited by CarbsAreEvil; 04-15-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

I don't think anyone is saying its not fine to eat it as far as it being 'legal' on Atkins, but that there are healthier choices ..... related to sodium and fat. I personally don't do fast food because, in my head, if I am trying to be healthier by losing weight, then I need to also be thinking healthy and avoid the excessive sodium and fat content of fast food.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I wasn't even dissing greasy food. It just annoys me that fast food low-carb always seems to include cheese and bacon with added fat (in this case the sauce).

There are so many possibilities, why does it always have to boil down to the meat/cheese/bacon/sauce foursome?
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote