Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #1  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Default fessing up and a lesson learned

So I made it successfully through two weeks of Induction. Last time I posted I was cruising on through week 3, not dropping weight but not really worrying about it, since TOM was on the way. My hunger levels were way down, and I thought I was going to be fine.

Still, my hormones were raging, and I started to crave chocolate. No problem, I thought. There are Induction-friendly desserts I can have. Oh, how that was a bad idea.

One Induction-friendly dessert led to another, then I was experimenting with other not-necessarily-within-my-carb-count foods, then I spent the weekend dog-sitting for my sister and there were those damn cashews in the cabinet, and before I knew it I was well and truly out of ketosis.

I'm trying hard not to feel like a failure, I really am. I keep telling myself it's a good lesson learned. I cannot handle any variety of dessert-type food, because it just triggers cravings and before I know it I'm out of control. I find myself wandering the house in the evening, poking through cupboards that are stocked with only Atkins-friendly foods, finding a way to overeat anyway.

I have no idea if I did any damage on the scale, since I wasn't at home all weekend (my sister's scale is an evil liar and I refuse to speak to it) and TOM started yesterday, so my four pound gain is probably water retention from that.

Even if I did dodge a weight gain bullet, though, I am struggling to conquer cravings once again, and fighting to get back into ketosis. I'm angry and disappointed in myself, but there's nothing I can do but pick myself up and move on.

I am super longwinded! I'd apologize, but I'm always this way. So if you read all that, I thank you for your kind attention! I don't even know why I fell so hard off the wagon so early on. It's not like this is a hard plan to stick to.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #2  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Well, at least you know how to get yourself back into ketosis and once you are, this will all be a distant memory. Oh in case someone forgot to tell you, you're still a human who is still allowed to make mistakes.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

It's okay, Caroline! You will be back in ketosis in no time, and you've learned a valuable lesson like you said! I have a real problem with anything that tastes sweet too, even if it's with artificial sweetener. I just have a problem with most food I think Well I guess that's how I ended up obese.

You'll lose that water weight, and the cravings will go away soon too! I didn't overeat carbs but I overate calories when I was PMS'ing - I was just so hungry all the time. That time of the month just really makes it hard to diet, doesn't it? Well, we can keep marching on anyways and we will reach our goal!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #4  
Re-newbie

S/C/G: 161/139/128

Height: 5'4"

Don't let it get you down! You know what to do, and now that chocolatey, cashewy, off-inductiony time has passed. You're back now! Be happy.
firefly68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/264/199

Height: 5'10"

The two things that I do (I know both aren't allowed during induction) are drink black coffee and eat a small handful of almonds (around 10). Of course I limit this routine to two times, max! The coffee keeps me occupied and the almonds somehow curve my craving. I also have a habit now of taking a big, deep breath as soon as I feel a craving coming on to kinda force it away...corny, I know!
SaskNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #6  

Caroline....you can get back on track. It wont take you long to get back in ketosis.

The water weight from it will come off quick too! Keep your chin up
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Hi Caroline,

It's okay, really! You will get back on track and as Honey said, you are only human. We are not perfect.

Darn, I remember when my hormones were raging and I would get these crazy cravings and eat myself into oblivion because I still thought I was hungry.. I remember those cravings for chocolate right before I got my period and the only way was to eat that chocolate! It seemed like my hormones would take me over and I had no control over them whatsover..

Be kind to yourself and think of today as a New Day (which it is). You have lost soooo much weight already so be proud of yourself! It takes guts to admit when we mess up, it really does!

Toby
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #8  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Thanks, guys. I mostly posted this because I wanted to be honest and not omit the fact that I had dropped out of ketosis. Yesterday I stayed completely on plan, though, so I'm back on my way. I know it won't take long as long as I stick with Induction and don't try to add anything else. It's just too easy for me to push my carbs up too high, even with low-carb foods.

Of course, now I am dealing with hunger once again. Joy! I know it'll pass, though, so I'm just riding it out. Next step: Get my exercise levels back up where they need to be. That will be much easier once TOM is over.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote