Old 12-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #1  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

Lightbulb Considering joining you in a week or two!

Hello Atkiners!

I'm thinking of perhaps joining you in a short while - I just ordered the book today, and I need some time for it to 1) arrive and 2) to read it. But! I do have some questions I was wondering if you could help me with, pretty please?

First, is it hard to follow through the first and second phase without having Atkin-products available? I live in Oslo, Norway, and up here it doesn't seem like we're into it yet. At least I can't seem to find the products here, and it will be too expensive for me in the long run to order it from the US (until I move there, of course, in August ).

Second, how long did it take you before you were OK with living without bread and potatoes? For me this is a slight concern because I was raised on the stuff

Thank you, Atkineres!

Happy New Year from Annie

http://299lbs.wordpress.com/

Last edited by 299lbs; 12-31-2009 at 12:57 PM.
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 299lbs View Post
Hello Atkiners!

I'm thinking of perhaps joining you in a short while - I just ordered the book today, and I need some time for it to 1) arrive and 2) to read it. But! I do have some questions I was wondering if you could help me with, pretty please?

First, is it hard to follow through the first and second phase without having Atkin-products available? I live in Oslo, Norway, and up here it doesn't seem like we're into it yet. At least I can't seem to find the products here, and it will be too expensive for me in the long run to order it from the US (until I move there, of course, in August ).

Second, how long did it take you before you were OK with living without bread and potatoes? For me this is a slight concern because I was raised on the stuff

Thank you, Atkineres!

Happy New Year from Annie

http://299lbs.wordpress.com/

Hello Annie!
I am so happy to hear you are considering doing Atkins and even happier that you've ordered the book and plan on reading it before you begin the plan
As far as the Atkins products are concerned, the answer is quite simple.....STAY AWAY FROM THEM! Please do yourself a favor and read this article.....http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php I think it will clear up a lot of questions you may have regarding Atkins products.
You should also stay away from Atkins.com Unfortunately, since Dr. Atkins death in 2003 & Atkins Nutritionals Inc. taking over, things have changed considerably. Putting it nicely, they have not adhered to Dr. Atkins plan and have "edited" it to include Atkins products right from Induction (Phase 1) If you must refer to a website, you may want to check out Dr. Atkins wife Veronica's website.....http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/ which will give you correct, concise information
You may also be interested in looking here....http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html. for Atkins-friendly recipes.
As far as how long it was OK living without bread & potatoes....for me, I can honestly say, I don't miss them. Being Italian, I was raised on bread & pasta, so I know what you mean but, when you see the weight coming off & how much better you feel you won't give those things a 2nd thought.
You CAN do this!!!
All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-01-2010 at 11:12 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for that article on those deceptive products, Kim. That was excellent. I was always very suspicious of these products, not to mention, why eat processed junk when you can eat real foods?

Annie....I've been commenting on your blog because I'd observed how much difficulty you were having. There is nothing worse than depriving yourself for long periods and then showing NO results on the scale and I know just how frustrating that is.
So I figured it was worth a try for you to see if low-carbing might work better for you.

And the 2 things I observed on your blog were that you 1) were having poor results and 2) were easily lapsing and going off-plan.

Regarding the second one....listen, it IS going to take some amount of will-power to stop eating an entire category of high carb foods you are used to eating. BUT, controlling the cravings, when low-carbing, can be a huge help. I really suffered on any diet where I could include any sort of high carb foods....and was always starving. Yet on Atkins, I practically have to force myself to eat all the food I really should. I'm not all that hungry and have zero cravings. Any and all prior binge and craving behavior is a thing of the past.
But like I said, you will also need to utilize some will-power, especially in the beginning. It gets much easier once you go into ketosis/fat-burning mode after the first few days.

Also, someone commented on your blog that all diets are doomed to fail and we will always gain our weight right back. Not necessarily true. Kim has maintained and kept the weight off for 6 years and when I lost weight back in the early 90's on Atkins, I maintained for 12 years with no problem...until I was put on a medication that altered my metabolism and caused horrific weight gain.....which I have lost most of and am pretty close to goal (146.8 this morning....so about 11-12 lbs. from goal) and I have no fear of gaining it back because I know how to do maintenance and had no problem with it for many years.

But...are there people who have such serious psychological issues associated with food/binge-eating/compulsions, etc. that they MUST deal with these before any diet can succeed? I'm not completely sure, to be honest. And this is mainly because whereas I've had horrible problems with low-calorie diets or any diets where any high-carb foods were allowed...even in only small portions, on Atkins, ALL those problems are resolved. So I'm not totally sure if in many cases, it might not be the actual DIET being used when they are blaming it on psychological food issues.

I mean sure....issues like anorexia and bulimia are another story. I'm talking about having difficulty sticking with a diet, repeatedly going off-plan, craving, binge-eating, etc. I'm truly wondering if this stuff is more metabolism/physiologic than actually psychologic. And convincing these poor folks, women especially, that they may need to go to years of therapy in order to resolve their food issues....which may not even resolve them...when all along, they are just spinning their wheels due to the wrong diet....is very unfortunate, IMO. And it makes them feel defeated before they even start, believing that their psychological issues have already doomed them.

BUT Annie....you WILL have to use some will-power...especially during the first few days. I'm not gonna lie to you. BUT, if you can't utilize will-power, let's face it.....you won't be able to stick to ANY diet, right? But for me, after the first few days, Atkins has made the rest of it a literal breeze (piece o'cake)
And what I found to be extremely helpful with maintaining will-power was reading and re-reading the early Atkins book. It was my bible. Just understanding what was happening, why it was happening, and how it was going to work in my benefit, really helped me with motivation and will-power.

One other thing....how many meds are you on in total? Anti-depressants are not notorious, as a general rule, in causing weight gain and making it difficult to diet but one of your other meds may possibly be. If so, you really need to identify which one it is. I absolutely had to go off the medication that was altering my metabolism (literally shutting it dow) in order to get the diet to work for me again.

Also...don't fool yourself. Many doctors do NOT know how to properly taper off medications that alter your brain chemicals. What happens is that they believe what the drug reps tell them...and what they tell them is way too overly optimistic and not realistic. Notorious for this are suboxone and benzodiazepines (xanax, etc.). Most of them have no clue how to taper off correctly and also think you can get off them with no problem and just stop at way too high a dose. Message boards are the best places to get advice on tapering properly. There, the folks have been there and done that. They know the real deal, not the bull that the drug reps sling to the doctors.

deena

Last edited by Deena52; 01-03-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #4  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

Thank you!

I won't be eating any of the products either - mostly because they're not around here in Norway. Or so I think, anyway.

I think it's worth a try - even if I have to use willpower to show results. You're right - you need willpower either way, Atkins or Low Calorie.

In total I'm on two meds - one of which, Effexor, I'm starting to quit now. I say start to quit because it's **** to go off, and I need to do it slowly. The other one isn't a problem, it's called Fluanxol, but I don't think you have it in the US.
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Hi Annie,

I have been doing low carb since March (not Atkins per se, but a pretty strict 20-30 carb gram target). I live in France & so have no access to the low carb products either, and it hasn't been a problem for me at all. The biggest challenge I face is planning & finding options when I travel -- but that is not really any different being in Europe than it would be in the US, although finding a low carb breakfast option is maybe more challenging here (except in the UK).

In the US the low carb foods for sale are basically in 3 categories : meal-replacement bars & shake, fake sweeteners & low-carb versions of flour-based products (breads, bake mixes, pastas etc). None of these are essential and you'll see low carbers often complain about the cost & lack of taste of some of these products (low carb bread is really not the same thing as regular bread). On the www you'll find lots of recipes to make low-carb versions of pretty much anything - with results that range from very good to awful.

Personally, my approach has been to stick to mainly whole foods that are easily available in the country where I live. I find lots of variety in what I eat & use my creativity in recipes & in enjoying eating things that in my prior calorie-counting/low fat life I avoided (sauces! butter! cream! etc). The one thing I'd like to have access to is the liquid Splenda (sugar replacement) if I decided to go for fake sugar things, but in fact I have just removed all sweet taste from my diet (I am not a fan of chemical & processed foods & so just giving up sweet for me has been a better choice). There are also some studies that say for that people may have an insulin response even to fake sugar so staying away from sweet tastes could help that. For me, it's been easier to stop the sweet taste instead of trying to find substitutes that I can tolerate. Ditto for bread, pasta, etc.

As Deena mentioned above, moving to a low carb diet does require a certain degree of willpower (as any diet does) but the amazing thing for me was the huge change in hunger that I had when I made the switch. Instead of my appetite being always present, and under varying degrees of 'control', I find with strict low carb eating that the feeling of 'being hungry' just went away unless it is really several hours since I last ate.

One other thought -- you might do some googling on low carb diets in Sweden (I think they call it carb restriction) -- there is a bit of a movement in favor of it there, and if you speak Norwegian that would increase your resources (and perhaps there are some products available there?).
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote